tutorial on bombing with CBUs

Falcon 4 general discussion (please no editing discussion)

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Vyk

tutorial on bombing with CBUs

Post by Vyk » 2007-11-21 22:24:08

Hello,
Can anyone say where to get serious training material such as tutorials, articles, whatever? Moreover on level bombing techniques with CBUs. From higher altitudes to stay clear of SAM sites, for example.
Please feel free with your advises here.
Thanks to all

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2007-11-21 23:37:10

Well in a nutshell arent CBU's for mid to low level bombing and they have the burst altitude to consider too. If you drop them too high, the bomblets fly more directly towards ground after the main bomb bursts open.

So I'd say that CBU's are for lets say 3000ft drop and 1500ft burst altitude or something like that... thats how I recall it works.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Vyk

CBU

Post by Vyk » 2007-11-22 19:12:56

Not exactly!
You can set manually burst altitude, release angle and other interesting parameters in the weapons section of the (normally) right MFD.
There is very few literature on bombing techniques with CBUs even in the old original manual. I just re-read for the purpose.
Low passes are almost always lethal in SAM areas especially when surrounded by AAA.
Question is then "how to toss those CBUs on those soft targets sharply, but far enough to stay away of air defense?"

marvin157th
1st Lt

Post by marvin157th » 2007-11-24 04:18:31

Vyk,

CBUs are used like any other bombs really. It all depends on your skillsm, knowledge, and in some cases imagination. CBUs can be deployed just like a normal Dumb bomb. You can DIVE bomb, level, pop, or loft it really. It basically depends on your threats etc.

As far as I understand NATO got rid of CBUs did they not? Or is that just CBUs designed for man targets? Either way, I never use them in in Falcon as I mainly stick with modern tactics such as LGBs and JDAMs.

But to answer your question, I am not exactly sure what you are asking? However, if you know how to use all the avionics in Falcon with regards to bomb deployment, these are used just the same. All you have to decided on is your arming and burst altitude. I usually setup profile 1 on a wide high burst, and profile 2 on a smaller tighter burst. Once I pick up my returns on the radar, I decided at that point which profile I want to used based on how may returns and their formations.

Jody

Vyk

CBU tactics

Post by Vyk » 2007-11-25 20:08:10

Thanks for your answer,
What I exactly meant is this : except "dive+toss+climb leave" mode I never manage to pickle CBUs. Not even from medium altitude, say 5000feet above target site using straight level flight. I never manage to pickle bombs from a level flight.
I am sure some setup should be made beforehand. But what ? There is hardly anything in manuals and tutos on this topic.
Thanks

marvin157th
1st Lt

Post by marvin157th » 2007-11-26 10:23:34

Do you mean you hit the pickle button and nothing happens in level flight?

What version of Falcon are you using?

There are several things that coule be causing this..

1) delay cue - are you holding the pickle button long enough for the solution to drop?

2) winds aloft - if you are using winds aloft this will sometimes cause this and you need to ensure your bomb fall line is directly over your FPM.

3) that damn bug! (most likely this is the problem) this has been around for a while, or at least I noticed it still exists. I find what helps is giving your nose a bit of a dive, at least -3 degrees SHOULD be enough to get your bombs to come off the rails.

Jody

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2007-11-26 11:02:00

And also master arm is ... umm dunno if its right to say on or off in this case, but master arm button is setup so you can drop/launch weapons.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Return to “Falcon 4 General”