Lod experts

Falcon 4 general discussion (please no editing discussion)

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

WaveyDave
Recruit
Gaming Interests: ArmA 2 (Armed Assault 2)
Editing Interests: Modeling

Lod experts

Post by WaveyDave » 2003-02-10 12:39:00

I seem to have scared everyone away from the yahoo group :), I know this board is more theatre development so I hope no one minds me asking this.

Question re gear bay's and DOF's

I know to put the bays at the beginning of the split branch so that they get drawn first then covered by the fuselarge, but where do the gear struts go? Without a gear bay I would just add a split at the bottom of the fuselarge, right? however if I have a gear bay and the gear struts go into the bay the top of the gear struts (the bits
inside the gear bay) will be drawn with the gear and appear over the fuselarge?

Are my thinkings right? please correct me where I have got it wrong.

Also, I need a tutorial or more info about how to work DOF's. I can get a simple DOF to work, when all I have to do is ctrl-click on the point to rotate around, but I'm completely stuck when it comes to more comples things

Thanks
Dave

PumpyHead
Recruit

Re: Lod experts

Post by PumpyHead » 2003-02-10 13:42:00

Hi Wavey,

I don't think you've necessarily scared everyone away. Some may be busy, others, (like myself) may not know how to explain things very well.

Regarding the gear, the only advice I can offer is you have to be creative when making your splits.

With moving features such as landing struts, it is extrememly difficult to split effectively because the split planes do not travel with the struts. This means you have to consider the full travel of the struts when laying out your splits.

What may be helpful, is to study existing models to see what others have done.

With regard to DOF's, what I did was look up matrix transforms on the net and made up an excel spreadsheet that I could enter rotations in each axis and get the transform matrix from it. Lots of study there will help you out. I'm not sure how the tool in LE works as I've yet to use it to position DOF's.

-Robert
quote:Originally posted by WaveyDave:
I seem to have scared everyone away from the yahoo group :), I know this board is more theatre development so I hope no one minds me asking this.

Question re gear bay's and DOF's

I know to put the bays at the beginning of the split branch so that they get drawn first then covered by the fuselarge, but where do the gear struts go? Without a gear bay I would just add a split at the bottom of the fuselarge, right? however if I have a gear bay and the gear struts go into the bay the top of the gear struts (the bits
inside the gear bay) will be drawn with the gear and appear over the fuselarge?

Are my thinkings right? please correct me where I have got it wrong.

Also, I need a tutorial or more info about how to work DOF's. I can get a simple DOF to work, when all I have to do is ctrl-click on the point to rotate around, but I'm completely stuck when it comes to more comples things

Thanks
Dave

WaveyDave
Recruit

Post by WaveyDave » 2003-02-10 23:17:00

Thanks for the info. Ill check out the matrix stuff.

Here what I've got so far. It's by no means finished.

If anyone has any spare time to do a texture I would be greatful of the help, I'm no good at that side of things.

Some images http://website.lineone.net/~d_cuthbert/Image1.jpg http://website.lineone.net/~d_cuthbert/Image2.jpg http://website.lineone.net/~d_cuthbert/Image3.jpg

And a lod and the texture template I've been using, I'm affraid the texture is in 1024x1024 http://website.lineone.net/~d_cuthbert/jaguar.zip

Constructive critisim is welcome, but be gentle I'm still learning :)

Regards
Dave

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2003-02-11 02:02:00

VERY NICE! so where's skin artist?

wait..i noted you remove that air cooler on dorsal spine?

WaveyDave
Recruit

Post by WaveyDave » 2003-02-11 09:56:00

Thanks, thought I better post something, been working on this for quite a while.
quote:Originally posted by ccc:
wait..i noted you remove that air cooler on dorsal spine?
Like I say, not finished yet :) 3-4 weeks :D

Regards
Dave

Spike
2nd Lt

Post by Spike » 2003-02-11 12:57:00

Regarding the gear bay problem:

You could try to split the surrounding fuselage into several parts. Drawing order should be:

gear bay cover-polygon
gear bay switch+subtree
gear switch+DOF
splits with surrounding hull-segments

Hmm, I'm not that good in explaining such things, check out the sketch.

;)

Spike
2nd Lt

Post by Spike » 2003-02-11 13:06:00

Picture does not show up, this link should work.

sketch

WaveyDave
Recruit

Post by WaveyDave » 2003-02-11 16:14:00

Thanks spike.

I think I've managed to do the splits in a way that the landing gear wont suddenly appear somewhere it shouldn't, fingers crossed.

I'll try the ideas posted here, thanks.

Regards
Dave

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2003-02-11 16:51:00

If anyone has any spare time to do a texture I would be greatful of the help, I'm no good at that side of things.
I'm not exactly an expert, but I may have some spare time. I've downloaded your 1988.bmp and I'll do some looking for pics. If there's a certain livery you want, just direct me to it.

No promises, but I can try. :)
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

WaveyDave
Recruit

Post by WaveyDave » 2003-02-11 23:08:00

quote:Originally posted by T_Rex:
I'm not exactly an expert, but I may have some spare time. I've downloaded your 1988.bmp and I'll do some looking for pics. If there's a certain livery you want, just direct me to it.

No promises, but I can try. :)
That would be great, try here for some pictures. I'm not particually fussed what scheme it is. I have some more links to sites at work I'll post them for you.

http://jaguar.hyperlink.cz/photo.htm

Fixed some of the tail end split's but still not happy with them so I'll spend more time on that, and of course the gear. Had the urge to take it for a spin :)

Thanks
Dave

PumpyHead
Recruit

Post by PumpyHead » 2003-02-11 23:29:00

That would be great, try here for some pictures. I'm not particually fussed what scheme it is. I have some more links to sites at work I'll post them for you.

Hey Wavey,

I see you're continuing the fine tradition of letting the pilot know where the left and right side of his plane is.

:D -PumpyHead

WaveyDave
Recruit

Post by WaveyDave » 2003-02-12 10:33:00

Pumpyhead:
Just playing follow the leader :D

T-Rex Here's some more paint schemes. These are just side views, I found some painted 3-views on the web once, but I can't find them again, lucky I downloaded them, I'll zip them up and put them on my web space. I'll post the link later.

http://www.mousematsystems.com/modellin ... ngs/raf_ja guar/raf_jaguar.html

Thanks
Dave

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2003-02-12 14:56:00

T-Rex Here's some more paint schemes. These are just side views, I found some painted 3-views on the web once, but I can't find them again, lucky I downloaded them, I'll zip them up and put them on my web space. I'll post the link later.

http://www.mousematsystems.com/modellin ... ngs/raf_ja guar/raf_jaguar.html
Cool link! :)

Tell you what, email me at my email addy, if you want.
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Return to “Falcon 4 General”