Can't change the F-16.dat file in SimData.zip!

Falcon 4 general discussion (please no editing discussion)

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

hduman
Recruit

Can't change the F-16.dat file in SimData.zip!

Post by hduman » 2002-09-12 09:58:00

Hi everybody,

Before SP series, I had tried turning F-16 and Su-27 to conceptual aircraft with different performance figures than given. You could play with the AOA or g limiters and see their impact on dogfight. With 12g, 45 degrees AOA and added thrust SU 27 would almost hover vertically or reach 200.000 ft. I know that it is no good for hardcore simmerz, but I needed those edits for comparison of different aircraft concepts like what if questions? What if I had a 12 g airplane, would it give me a huge advantage in dogfight?

The *.dat files were used to be in the F4Patch directory and in the SimDat.zip file, and it would accept edits as long as you made sure that two different *.dat files are identical.

When I try to do the same thing this time ý have trouble. The *.dat files are in SimData.zip only :roll:
DUMAN sendz...

ccc
Chief of Staff

Re: Can't change the F-16.dat file in SimData.zip!

Post by ccc » 2002-09-12 13:35:00

unzip all files to a temporary folder, edit as you wish, then zip it back, replace origional one.

hduman
Recruit

Post by hduman » 2002-09-13 06:56:00

CCC,

Thank you very much. It worked the way you said. My mistake was that I extracting the *.dat file to temp only, and add it back to the zip file with "Save extra folder info"option. That option caused the whole path added, and it would make Falcon crash.

For those who might have problem with that in the future : There are a few simdata.zip files in Falcon. One in the Falcon directory, Another in the Falcon/zips, another in falcon/F4Patch/Persist directory with extracted dat files in the sim directrory below that. The only relevant *.dat files I found are the ones in the simdata.zip file located in the Falcon/zips directory. If anybody would like to tweak aircraft flight models either for fun or for making it as real as it gets to the charts in the flight manuals, it is right there.

Thanks again CCC.

As another satisfied forum visitor who sought guidance from PMC staff, DUMAN is out.
DUMAN sendz...

icebrain
1st Lt

Post by icebrain » 2002-09-13 16:24:00

You could just extract the zip to the directory and then rename it. Then falcon will use the "sim" directory instead of going through the zip (makes it much easier to edit FMs and such; you just save and fly instead of having to unzip, change, rezip...)

Return to “Falcon 4 General”