JDAM

Falcon 4 general discussion (please no editing discussion)

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Butcher_ss
Colonel

Re: JDAM

Post by Butcher_ss » 2002-11-08 04:38:00

quote:Originally posted by The Edge:
Why when deploying JDAM, to a target such as a bridge for instance do they Air Burst instead of taking out the target. When the cloud level is low and dense and the defended area is caked in AAA/Man Pad defenses, this is the only method of attack I can safely use. When I watch the JDAM weapon to the target, they just airburst about 50ft above the target. I'm pretty sure that the JDAM I'm using isn't a CEM or SFW. :?
I am not sure what the problem is since I only tried using JDAMs during a TE mission 3-4 days ago. Why don't you try LGBs, they are accurate and destructive. Also the AGM-65B/D/G is very useful as well(there seems to be a problem with the G-model however) BTW which JDAMs did you try to deploy because if I remember correctly I used the GBU-32 on a factory and there was no problem.
If you know how to use the LGBs I would recommend you using the GBU-12 and GBU-22 for small targets such as bridges and the GBU-10 and GBU-24 for larger targets(GBU-24B/B has greater penetration than the GBU-24/B model).
By the way for the AGM-65G model to be as destructive as in reality, I imported the data found in AGM-84E (through f4browse) into the AGM-65G specifications and the missile is now very destructive as in reality. The AGM-154 JSOW weapon is very useful as well for large targets.

PS. Is the problem that you describe only with a specific JDAM or is it with all of them??

Butcher_ss.
Butcher_ss.

Butcher_ss
Colonel

Post by Butcher_ss » 2002-11-09 13:17:00

Cheers for the reply,

I think it was the GBU32 Butcher. LGB's are very good (destructive), but you cant use them when cloud is obscuring the target because 1) you cant see the taget in the MFD and 2) the cloud scatters the laser so you cant designate the target.

The answer is to fly lower, but then you are more likely to encounter Man Pads and AAA. The answer should be to use JDAM, or like you say JSOW. Maverick at higher altitude would have the same probs as GBU, because of cloud cover.
Basically LGB's destroy bridges, why doesn't the JDAM. It just seems to cloudburst over the target, can you set the fuse or something to have a delay after its reached its target. ????????
:?
I'll try using JDAMs against a bridge and see what will happen. Get back to you.

Butcher_ss.
Butcher_ss.

Butcher_ss
Colonel

Post by Butcher_ss » 2002-11-10 13:07:00

[quote]quote:Originally posted by The Edge:
Cheers Butcher_SS. :)

Butcher_ss. :) :p
Butcher_ss.

icebrain
1st Lt

Post by icebrain » 2002-11-12 19:09:00

I noticed the same thing while I was testing the J-weapons without using the maverick screen. The AGM-154A was the only one that would fly all the way to a hit--all of the other ones would explode before hitting the target. Still haven't figured out how to fix that.

Butcher_ss
Colonel

Post by Butcher_ss » 2002-11-14 10:02:00

quote:Originally posted by icebrain:
I noticed the same thing while I was testing the J-weapons without using the maverick screen. The AGM-154A was the only one that would fly all the way to a hit--all of the other ones would explode before hitting the target. Still haven't figured out how to fix that.
does this happen only in missions or does it happen in TE as well. As I mentioned before I have tried using the JDAMS but only in TE missions. I have still not managed to use them in missions but only in TE mission.

Butcher_ss.
Butcher_ss.

Butcher_ss
Colonel

Post by Butcher_ss » 2002-11-16 13:11:00

I've only tried it in missions. :eek:
Try using it in the TE mission ... ramp start and see what will happen. In the specific TE mission there is no problem. If there is no problem in that mission then tell me to try the JDAMs in a normal mission.

Butcher_ss.
Butcher_ss.

Return to “Falcon 4 General”