Screens of the new generation of theaters ;)

Falcon 4 general discussion (please no editing discussion)

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

ccc
Chief of Staff

Re: Screens of the new generation of theaters ;)

Post by ccc » 2003-07-10 15:27:00

i'd suggest let us enjoy Nevada ASAP - or you plan to do furhter development?

Com_gp
Colonel

Post by Com_gp » 2003-07-12 08:06:00

Yet waiting for few tools/scripts to make the L, M and T tiles in the installation procedure.

Right now the texture.zip is 170mb ;)

Com_GP

CAG
1st Lt

Post by CAG » 2003-07-14 19:35:00

So what is your time frame for sharing this theater?

I am really looking forward to flying it! I believe this will add a whole new dimension to F4... The ability to send Falcon pilots to a realeastic training invironment can do nothing but good for the entire community and revive the Falcon training sites...

Com_gp
Colonel

Post by Com_gp » 2003-07-15 13:31:00

quote:Originally posted by CAG:
So what is your time frame for sharing this theater?
Can't say it for sure, but not soon, I maybe could release it like its right now but im leaving for one month in a couple of days, so I will be off for quite a long time, as too soon if everything goes ok could be in december.

Com_GP

Com_gp
Colonel

Post by Com_gp » 2003-10-25 16:45:00

Hi,

Here you have an URL with the actual status of Nevada theater, its sad but i must say it will be like this till some things change arround in falcon world, right now it has 4096 tiles as maximum and till this number cant be higher it will be just like this, from my point of view it is just a shame because flying thru this is just incredible.
http://air.frikis.org/com_gp/com_gp01.html

For personal reasons im gonna stay away for a while from falcon world.

Regards,

Com_GP

CAG
1st Lt

Post by CAG » 2003-10-29 19:56:00

Why dont you post your work for D/L to other developers so all this wonderful work isnt lost. We can finish this work off to get this theater released before everything goes into the shitter...

Com_gp
Colonel

Post by Com_gp » 2003-11-05 11:02:00

Dont worry CAG, actually there is a few internal beta testers testing it.

And... I want to clear this..., I wont drop this project, it maybe takes me ages to take it outthere, but will finish it some day, right now (and I have explained this 100 times) the biggest problem is that the maximum tiles that falcon can afford is 4096, the theater right now only has 15600 km^2, which means that you can go from one side to the other of the theater in 10 minutes at normal velocity, I still have a lot of more data to be added, and im waiting for F4BMS solution to this problem to continue, after that (once the terrain is finished) will add all the objects and make them match with the terrain, and once that is done I will make a simple campaing and release the first public beta.

If someone wants to join im always opened to new people or sugestions, right now im having a hard time colorizing (is that well written?...) the black and white images of nevada located at:
http://mapserver2.library.unr.edu/websi ... viewer.htm

So... if anyone wants to help to do this "fun" work... i will be very pleased.

Also remember that (as almost everyone in the community) I have to work, to make my food everyday I get home and (of course) going with friends from time to time, so im not 100% time in Falcon.

Anyways..., will release the theater, promissed, and if you are interested in beta testing just send me an email.

Com_GP

CAG
1st Lt

Post by CAG » 2003-11-26 01:33:00

I am always worried, ever since G2i made me give up on the Taiwan Theater...

Mad Dog McEwan
Recruit

Post by Mad Dog McEwan » 2003-11-26 07:33:00

Its the age old segregation thing, we got som many talented folk working in isolation or small teams.

This PMC website itself managed to overcome that, but since the bossman here left the falcon scene, things are getting back to "you are alone out there".

With the Angolan Theatre, I am experiencing the same, it is a mammoth task, and i dont know which way to turn somedays, but like you above, I will finish the theatre, even if it takes me the entire 2004.

At the http://4f4.666th.com (4F4 Site), i am trying to provide a repositary for developers, a drop off and collect point, each tracked in a database with version control, of works in progress, for textures, models, cockpits, tiles etc, where you can "pick up" say an unfinished LOD, work on it, and "check it back in".

We should form a loose "team" (hence 4F4 - For Falcon 4), and those who are good at say DOF and switches, or LOD editing can "pick up" raw LODS, work on them, and then deposit their results (it tracks the name of the contributors auto as well), me again who are good at 3DS to LOD conversion or graphics can then pick up the model and create skinssets for it etc...

These models and tiles can then be used by ALL who sign up for use in theatres....

Stuff the personal glory, if we want Falcon to survive, go look at the MSFS community eg. avsim.com - if MSFS could survive for so long, haven been so crappy until FS2004, then FAlcon most definitely can !!!!

BUT we need to foster that work together attitude, not like the 3-4 big camp "teams" at the moment that is causing F4 development to wait in limbo until the nest major version or SP release....

There is nothing that stops us from doing this folks, we got some shit hot folk out there, the utilities exist, the code is out there... nothing stops us from flying a Cessna 150 to a bloody U2 in any par of the world - (as in FS2004)...

So WE here, are responsable for Falcon 4 's survival, we cannot leave that up to MicroProse (they left it to us),, the FreeFalcon teams and the SP teams alone.

Falcon will die, if we want it too. I dont want it too, it has the basis of longevity and expandability unlike any contemporary military flight sim, it wont be replaced in a year or 2 by the companies "new sim" product.

So go get say LOMAC, switch, and in a year from nowm they release BLAHBLAH, fill their pockets, and LOMAC is suddenlu forgotton.

Falcon does not have that problem ANYMORE - it is free, it belongs to us !

Cheers MD

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2003-11-26 15:32:00

MD, theater-makers are mostly on their own. those presented us releasable betas know it badly.

my advice for Angolan is making a 64x64 theater, and focusing on terrain stuff first. don't waste time and effort on LODs, pits and database at this moment..new BMS exe may change the modeling process.

Mad Dog McEwan
Recruit

Post by Mad Dog McEwan » 2003-11-27 13:49:00

Doing that ccc ... the only problem is that the Angolan Theatre is basically using only the F4 engine, every tile is new, 50% if the aircraft and models, all new flyable aircraft, interface screens etc.

You wont find a flyable F-16 anywhere in the campaign at all, nor an A-10 or Hornet... should call F1 instead of F4 (lol)

so I split my time percentage wise on all the above tasks, and progress is not so bad till now.

Return to “Falcon 4 General”