Battle for Fulda (FWS Mod) Playtest #1

Nevada theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

toonces
Brig. General

Battle for Fulda (FWS Mod) Playtest #1

Post by toonces » 2009-05-27 01:11:26

I figure if ccc can hop around from theater to theater, then so can I!

I made a tweak to my original Nevada mod. This one uses the same ground OOB, same scenario, but incorporates:

1. SM's terrain tweak.
2. New .tri file (that works).
3. New air OOB.

The air OOB is based more or less on a US Navy Fighter Weapons School OPFOR, with BLUEFOR mainly Navy and USMC aircraft. The setting would be mid-80's.

BLUEFOR
Nellis- 1xF-4J, 1xF-4N
Desert Rock- 1xF-4N, 1xF-4S, 1xA-6E
Searchlight- 1xF/A-18A, 1xA-6E
Overton Muni- 1xF/A-18A, 1xA-7E, 1xF-4S, 1xEA-6B
Needles- 1xA-7E, 1xAV-8A
Hurricane Mesa- 2xE-3
All original helos from previous version.

OPFOR
Baker- 2xF-5E
Barstow Daggett- 1xF-16B, 2xKfir, 1xA-4E
Death Valley- 2xF-16A, 1xF-5E
Beatty- 1xA-4H(for skin only, same as A-4E in game essentially), 2xA-4E
Yucca Valley- 1xF-5E, 1xA-4E
Big Bear City- 1xF-14A, 1xF-16B
China Lake- 2xF-5E
Lemoore- 3xA-50
All original helos from previous version.

The F-4J is probably a bit too old to use in this mod, but I like the skins. A case could be made for the N and S; I think they were flown by reserves until mid-80s. I might need more F/A-18As. With the exception of the F-14As on OPFOR, all OPFOR jets are fox-2 only, while BLUEFOR fighters all have BVR capability. However, all OPFOR jets are capable of both fighter and attack roles...Will the BVR capability overcome the BLUEFOR numerical disparity?

Trigger file (thanks to ccc for the template):

Code: Select all

//
// Base event file
//
// Nevada Redflag2 Save2 Trigger File --Scenario3--
//
// :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;
//
// #TOTAL_EVENTS is a required entry, and
// should be # of events we have triggers for
// and code fore 
// KCK WARNING: KEEP THIS UPDATED!
//
//
// :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;
// 
// #SET_EVENT will set the activated flag for any
// events we want to be initially activate
// ie: Seoul already should be marked as
// captured in the Pusan parameter scenario
//
// This marks the Opfor as initially on the offensive
//
//
#TOTAL_EVENTS 2
#SET_TEMPO 255
#ENDINIT
//
// 
// Event #1
// Victory Conditions
// After Day 2 and Opfor Captures Searchlight Boulder and Las Vegas
// 
#IF_CAMPAIGN_DAY G 2
#IF_CONTROLLED 6 A 1200 1195 1189
#DO_EVENT 1
#END_GAME 1
#ENDIF
//
// Event #2
// After Day 3 and Opfor Captures any of Boulder or Las Vegas
//
#IF_CAMPAIGN_DAY G 3
#IF_CONTROLLED 6 1195 1189
#DO_EVENT 2
#END_GAME 2
#ENDIF
//
// Event #3
// After Day 4 Bluefor wins
#IF_CAMPAIGN_DAY G 4
#DO_EVENT 3
#END_GAME 3
#ENDIF
//
// End
#ENDSCRIPT
Ok, let's get started.

toonces
Brig. General

Re: Battle for Fulda (FWS Mod) Playtest #1

Post by toonces » 2009-05-27 01:17:57

Alrighty, let's start OPFOR.

Mission 1.
Death Valley. 2xF-16A interdiction near Boulder.
Loadout: 8xCBU-71, 4xAIM-9M.
T/O: 0920

Flight out to Boulder is uneventful. Weather looks scattered at about 8k, not too bad. Light rain.

We get out near Boulder and Redcrown has us free and clear. Big mistake for BLUEFOR. The students are going to pay for this. With no enemy air nor SAMs to contend with, I take my time setting up for my runs, dropping in pairs in CCIP. Shooting fish in a barrel.

After a few runs, we get picked up by 4+ Phantoms. My wingman gets caught spread out too far and gets picked off. Meanwhile, I egress in burner until I get out of AIM-7 range, then pull back and basically keep pace with the Phantoms. Eventually they get within my SAM umbrella and must break off. Just in time for me...I land with 400 lbs.

Result- 21 A/G kills, multiple M2A3, M1A1, etc.
SUCCESS

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2009-05-27 01:34:02

Time to go kick some student butt. I head over to the student hangar, hand em their ass, then suit up to give them some hands on instruction.

Mission 2 (BLUEFOR).
Overton Muni. 2xF/A-18A BARCAP over Searchlight.
Load: 6xAIM-9M, 4xAIM-7F, centerline drop.
T/O: 1024

I lead my wingman over towards Searchlight. We're getting calls for an Opfor flight, probably attackers, and I'm setting up the intercept when we get bugged hard by a flight of F-14As. Suddenly, the RWR is going nuts with AIM-54s in the air.

Now, the AIM-54 can be defeated. We break down and low, get out some chaff and head for the mountains.

The key to defeating the Phoenix is go either outrun it, or get behind a hill. I get down in the rocks and start weaving in the valley. My wingman can't hang and gets picked off. Rookie!

Eventually, the quantity of AIM-54s seems to be getting lower and I've dragged at least a couple to my side of the FLOT. I turn back in hard and give him an out of range BVR shot just to get him maneuvering.

The ploy works. He outruns the missile, then turns back in. I give him another Fox-1, and continue to close. Now, he re-engages again and we go WVR head to head. I give him a fox-2 on the merge- so does he to me.

We both miss...and then I only get in the best dogfight I've ever had in a Falcon 4 campaign mission! I wish I could have taped it! We go head to head, both shoot and miss. He has angles on me on the merge and probably has 45 degrees on me post-merge. I get the Hornet slowed down closer to my corner speed (that Hornet guy earlier said about 350kts) and I start working my magic.

We go a circle and now I'm catching him on angles. He goes into a scissors and the fight gets really slow. I'm fighting to keep from departing the plane into the deck, but the Tomkitty is playing it really cool.

Finally, I get a guns solution on him and give him the hammer. I get hits, and think he's dead...but he's not. I watch, incredulously, as this guy saves his jet and re-engages again. Again I get the angles and give him a hit as I overshoot. Damn, this guy is still alive!

By now, I think he's hurt because he dumps and tries to disengage. I fall in trail, give him a fox-2 and send the Opfor guy to the ready room. Beers on him tonight.

Altogether I had 7xAIM-54 launched at me, and 2xAIM-9 in the dogfight. I expended all AIM-7s (no hits) and 5xAIM-9 (1 hit) and 2 gun hits (1 kill).

Land 1057.
Result: SUCCESS.

[As I'm sure you noticed, my F-14A is missing an aggressor skin. Sort of the point of playtesting these campaigns is to find these errors. Somewhere out there, some F-14B is flying around in a cool looking Blue-Splinter Camo job...LOL.]

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2009-05-27 01:44:40

Having shown the students how it's done, I head back to the Aggressor ready room for the next sortie.

Mission 3 (Opfor).
Big Bear City. 2xF-14A BARCAP to the northeast (hijacked to go towards Las Vegas).
Load: 4xAIM-54, 4xAIM-9H, 2 drops.
T/O: 1153.

We head out uneventfully (after checking to ensure our planes are painted up properly this time). We get a Redcrown hit for a Prowler flight ahead at 60nm and give chase. Before long we get dragged into an ambush of both Phantoms and Hornets. We get the RWR warning and break away, but they have us in an anvil and it gets fairly hairy there for a bit.

I get clear of the Fox-1s and get a Hornet in front. I try to get a lock and an AIM-54 launch, but we're quickly WVR and I go to Sidewinders.

I'm uncaging, trying to get this guy. One more try, 15 more seconds, and I had owned him. Unfortunately, my wingman is MIA and this dude's wingman gives me a fox-2.

Eject- RS.

Totals- 6xAIM-7; 2xAIM-9 at me. Wingman unknown.
Result: SUCCESS (Barcap time met).

[Clearly forgot to reinstall my kick-ass Aeyes F-14 pit...]

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2009-05-27 01:51:01

Mission 4.

Barstow Daggett. 2xF-16B Interdiction over Needles.
Load: 4xAIM-9M, 2xMk-84, 2 drops.
T/O: 1439.

Holding short for Kfirs.

Proceeding onstation at 18k, we get a call from Redcrown for bogeys at 30 degrees off the nose, 6,000 feet. I head down and start scanning looking for these guys.

I'm searching like crazy, RC is calling them closer and closer with no visual when finally we catch these clowns right on the deck.

Talk about hard to keep a visual! I try a handful of gun runs, but just can't keep a tally on these guys well enough to strafe them. Finally I go fox-2 and take out the trio.

After killing them, I troll around between Needles and Searchlight with no joy. Eventually, we attract some attention and it starts getting hot, so we egress.

Land: 1526.
Result: PARTIAL SUCCESS.

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2009-05-27 01:58:49

It's looking very, very bad for Bluefor. Searchlight has fallen, Nellis is shut down. Boulder has fallen and armor is a few miles from Las Vegas. The victory conditions are an Opfor victory if all 3 of Searchlight, Boulder, and Las Vegas are captured by Day 2. It appears nothing can stop the Opfor juggernaut. But I will try.

Mission 5 (BLUEFOR).
Overton Muni. 1xF-4S Search and Destroy (hijacked BARCAP) near Boulder. I'm hoping to blunt this armor battalion enough to buy Bluefor a few hours respite. There are almost no Bluefor air flights anymore; most are destroyed. Those that are still functional (eg. at Nellis) have their field shut down.

Load: 4xAIM-7, 18xMk-82SE (can't carry cluster bombs on the Phantom?!).
T/O: 1730.

I bravely head out, trying to keep low.

I have no AWACS, no friendlies, no nothing. It's lonely. I start breaking out the Opfor armor on radar, but as I'm setting up for my run I get picked off by a Kfir that didn't bug me with his radar. Sissy.

Eject.

Result: FAILED.

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2009-05-27 02:05:27

Mission 6.
Exactly the same as previous mission. Down to two last F-4S left here. I fly solo on this mission.

T/O: 1900.

Same routine. Get some alt, get some speed, then head down low. Check out that sky. Beautiful, huh?

I decide, based on last mission, to make this a single pass, haul ass run. I select ripple 18 to drop everything in one pass. If I'm lucky, I'll catch these clowns in column and take care of some business.

Again, no AWACS and no RWR hits. I break out the battalion on radar and they're clearly spread out. Damn. The smart move may have been to reset to drop in 2 or 3 passes, but I decide bringing the jet home is more important. Probably the wrong move with victory conditions about to be met...for a Bluefor loss. Well, I did what I did.

(Remember the old-school F-4 cockpit?)

I drop on one pass, hit the burners and egress. I get bugged, but just keep on chugging.

I get it home, on deck and check debrief. 2xT-80 killed...that's it. Crap.

Result: IN PROGRESS.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2009-05-27 02:08:30

nice AAR..
I figure if ccc can hop around from theater to theater, then so can I!
heheh..honestly, it's fun to swing between modding and testing. once you got sick of it, just switch to other stuff for a break.
Thru this hopping, i hope i can push the dev front, inch by inch.

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2009-05-27 03:18:06

Well, Bluefor seems like it's on death's door. I'm sitting there in the bar, feeling sorry for myself and my poor Bluefor comrades when, suddenly, our ground reinforcements arrive! It's the West German 5th Panzer Division coming in!

By now, I just want the horror to end. No better way to do that than go back Opfor and shut the reinforcements down...

Mission 7 (OPFOR).
Desert Rock. 2xA-4E BARCAP hijacked to a Search and Destroy mission over Nellis.
Load: 15xMk-20
T/O: (about 2250).

Ok, here's the deal. Opfor has one armor battalion sitting on Las Vegas, set to defend, and a handful of armor and armored mech battalions coming up from the south to reinforce Las Vegas. Meanwhile, the WG 5th Panzer division is driving hard from the north to break the hold on Las Vegas. There's one hour to victory conditions met for Opfor. It all comes down to this. If Bluefor can push Opfor off of Las Vegas before midnight, the campaign continues. Perhaps air resupply and airbase repair can occur. Perhaps Bluefor can still blunt the Opfor crush. But, if Opfor can interdict the Bluefor armor enroute, then game over. I'm in the driver's seat.

We wing over at 12k. There is no enemy air opposition. But, there are still SAMs with the Bluefor armor, plus some existing Hawks north of Nellis. I can't go winging in willy nilly, but I can set up my run without rushing. But, it's dark, so I have to drop in CCRP.

I elect to go with a one pass run, ripple 15 on the cluster bombs. I get multiple armor columns on radar...in column. Sweet. I direct my wingman to hit the far battalion while I go for the close one. I extend out, get parallel to the column and roll in. Of course they hear me or sense me or something and start to get off the road. Will it be in time?

Las Vegas in the background, with Nellis and McCarren.

I literally cannot zoom out enough to get the full shot of all the destruction rained upon the earth. The bombs go off forever. Unfortunately, I pick up a AAA hit on egress that gets my engine. I eject.

Debrief has 5 kills- much less than I expected, plus 2 more for my wingman who RTBs successfully.
Result: PARTIAL SUCCESS.

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2009-05-27 03:20:38

2315- Bluefor pushes Opfor off of Las Vegas! The fight goes on!

Who will win? Will Bluefor be able to hang on? Will their airpower recover?

How about Opfor? Can their armor reinforcements retake Las Vegas? What if Bluefor gets fighters airborne again?

The fight can go either way. But you'll have to wait to find out how it ends...

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2009-05-28 00:11:48

Well, sorry for the anti-climactic ending here.

At 0010, Opfor pushed the Bluefor armor off of Las Vegas and recaptured it. My .tri didn't stop the game at that point, so I have to figure out what's not working. The Opfor had all 3 cities with day>2 so the game should have ended.

At any rate, Bluefor was totally shut down with no fighters left except at Nellis, which was CAP'd and destroyed anyway.

My thoughts are that the F-14s might be unbalancing on Opfor. I'd like to try it again, but with two F-14 squadrons on Bluefor and no Tomkittys on Opfor and see how it plays out. I think the AIM-54 just unbalances the whole air war too much. Still, I have to admit that I'm surprised at how easily Opfor won.

Well, more later I suppose...