Nellis AFB terrain

Nevada theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Nellis AFB terrain

Post by Guest » 2000-08-22 03:57:00

I'd like to join or help form a Nellis AFB terrain group. I loved flying through Nellis, the canyon, gunnery ranges, and Las Vegas in Falcon 3. I still have F3 and screenshots of the Nellis maps and can get in-flight shots for more detail. Can anybody help me out?

Re: Nellis AFB terrain

Post by Guest » 2000-08-22 13:05:00

That would be nice terrain indeed.

Help? hmm what help do you need? Have you read the terrain creation tutorials we have here?

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-08-23 02:09:00

ya, Snake122, Nellis red flag theater IS great! I still keep my Falcon3/Hornet/Fulcrum, great package!

first you should find that detailed nav map come with Falcon3.0, find it?(serious f3 fans should keep them, Nellis/panama/kurile/india/bosnia/korea/gulf/israle, total 8 nav maps!!)
the follow tutorial to create basic theater data!(Snake Man will help you :D )

BTW, i think Nellis theater would need some new texture tiles, like larger rivers and desert textures, maybe borrow some from F4terrain team or F4ME will do.
ya, Grand Canyon, its magnificant!

Post by Guest » 2000-08-23 02:33:00

What are the long/lat coordinates of 10 by 10 degrees for Nellis AFB area?

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-08-24 02:00:00

I have F3 on my computer but the maps are at home (I'm at college) and the .jpg I have of it is too small to read the Lat Long. I'll see if I can find it on the net or is there a way to use the F3 files? Probably not but this would make this whole terrain thing even more interesting. I'll read up on the tutorials. We would difinitely need to use desert textures and larger rivers. Is there a way I could create the gunnery ranges(the ones with a split road and standing targets)? This would be a nice touch of realism that I've missed since F3.

Post by Guest » 2000-08-24 02:38:00

You can check the long/lat coordinates on site like:
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/seg/ff/nph-demo.pl

just click the Map-Based selection, this other site is very nice, but you need to know the coordinates first hand to use this:
http://www.aquarius.geomar.de/omc/make_map.html

If someone posts Nellis AFB 10 by 10 degree long/lat coordinates, I'll create the map with terrain features in no time.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-08-24 03:19:00

Heh I found my old Falcon 3.0, Mig-29 Deadly Arversary of Falcon 3.0 and Falcon 3.0 Operation: Fighting Tiger boxes !

Here is the maps along with coordinates for Nellis AFB. I'll be posting screenshot of the map soon :)

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-08-24 04:01:00

Heres the screenshot from the map. Seems to be somesort of elevation problems, check it out:

http://www.pmctactical.org/f4/screenshots/NellisAFB.jpg

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-08-24 05:59:00

Seen the screenshot. If the problem is water in place of the Great Salt Lake and Death valley, that's normal. They are actually below sea level so the perl script beleave they are underwater and put them as water. Not a problem for the Great Lake, it's flat salt anyway but that's a different story for death valley.
Another things, these DEM have a 1 km resolution and that's too big for a good rendering of the Grand Canyon. Some manual correction of tiles altitude is going to be needed.

Post by Guest » 2000-08-25 18:46:00

I am thinking of doing an India theatre. The basic idea would be countarms strikes against nuclear plants and nuclear capable mig27 airfields. dod101 has plenty of info and maps to do it, but 10x10 just ain't gonna work here! :) I would have to do the 40x40 resulting in a 1.5gig+ theatre.

Anyway, anyone have any opinions on this type of theatre. Good or bad, would love to hear them before I get to involved in this theatre.

Doogman

Post by Guest » 2000-08-26 00:02:00

Yes that would be nice. You might restrict the theater to the india-pakistan frontier, that would cut the size. Pakistan air force has F16 and they also have the nuke, which would trigger a lot of counterarms strikes from the other side.

Post by Guest » 2000-08-26 09:20:00

India/Pakistan theater sounds great!
miss old falcon3 days!

Post by Guest » 2000-08-27 19:47:00

I snagged the data and generated a quick paki/india theatre. Only problem is that most of the realistic targets I wanted to use in india WILL NOT fit on a 10x10, so I will probably do the 40x40, which is going to create ALOT of tiling work. I just want to do it *right* you know.

Doogman

Post by Guest » 2000-08-27 20:24:00

Hi Doogman

> india WILL NOT fit on a 10x10, so I will probably do the 40x40,

If it fits to 20 by 20, (128 x 128 segments) thats "only" three times larger than default Korean map.

At this moment there is still minor issues on Tacedit generated TE mission files, they are correct with the resolution, but Falcon 4 engine scales down the resolution to default 1024 x 1024 which is for 64 x 64 segment maps. I'm hoping that we can solve this very soon (hopefully by next week).

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-08-28 00:41:00

Yeah, that would work. I got the 40x40 and will just hang on to it now that I D/l it, but 20x20 looks like the way to go.

As far as tacedit, 20x20 is going to take a while to tile, I can wait for tacedit. Also, did you or anyone see the latest discussions on combat.sim? Pete Bonami(? spelling) and Chopstick (the original falcon cadre of people) were sending us some positive feedback on improving the sim.

As far as terrain, I would not hesitate to state the falcon terrains are by far the most accurate of all sims out there. Waiting for the CIA to hire some of us as sat intel personel! hahah! :) Will keep all posted on india and anyone who wants to tile, let me know!

Doogman

Post by Guest » 2000-08-28 02:25:00

> I got the 40x40 and will just hang on to it now that I D/l it

How large is that the L2 file?

> As far as tacedit, 20x20 is going to take a while to tile, I can wait for tacedit.

Thats true, Julian told me that this issue will be fixed eventually. Its just this small detail of finding the data that controls the TE mission map sizes and "resolution" of object placement.

BTW can you tell me what coordinates did you choose the India map from, would be nice to see the area (you dont happen to have map screenshot?) ?

Oh and another thing, Terrain Feature scripts that are downloadable here, dont support the larger terrain but Julian fixed them for me. I'll test them more thorough and post them soon to downloads.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-08-28 14:07:00

I just emailed the hdr and a screenshot to you.

Yeah, I tried to run procppp.pl on the point packages I have for india and pakistan and it was a NO GO. Let me know when you have them ready or if you know how to get them to work at 20x20 DEM maps. I cant really do anything more until then. (autotile, etc)

Until then, I guess Ill start getting a few sat images ready and plot out the strategic targets I would like to implement. Any word on a 3D conversion util from Julian yet?

Doogman

Post by Guest » 2000-08-28 14:08:00

Oh!! The L2 file is 23MB...

Doogman

Post by Guest » 2000-08-28 14:41:00

Uh we are flooding off topic here, but what the heck :)

I got your email with the screenshot, that area looks great with the high mountains and all.

Been running data thru the new perls today on 40 by 40 dem (256 x 256 segment) Desert Storm map and so far they work basically ok. There is still one minor issue, it can be explained in these two screenshots.

64 x 64 segment terrainview (1024 x 1024 resolution):
http://www.pmctactical.org/f4/screenshots/ImageTV3.jpg

256 x 256 segment terrainview (4096 x 4096 resolution):
http://www.pmctactical.org/f4/screenshots/ImageTV2.jpg

As you can see the huge map somehow has terrain features all wrong, like the resolution is wrong... I dont know if this is terrainview or perl script problem, but hopefully it can be solved soon.

What 3D conversion util do you mean?

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-08-28 14:49:00

Yeah, I see what you mean. Almost looks as though the increase of resolution somehow "generalizes" the coordinates instead of exact plotting, kind of like rounding off coordinates to the closest 10km or something.

Apparently, Julian or someone over f4alliance is working on a 3D Model editor for Falcon, enabling all of us to edit and create new 3D models using 3D Studio Max (i believe, last I heard).

Doogman

PS: from now on I will try and post to a new subject, Sorry Snake122 for taking over the convo.