Iceland theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Widowmaker
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Terrains

Land Usage map

Post by Widowmaker » 2003-01-28 11:34:00

I am looking for a good Land Usage map of Iceland.
this in order for the CATE bmp tiling.

if anyone has some time left to look for it
on the internet or maybe has one to Scan from a Atlas. please contact me.

I have found some but all poor in quality up to now...

/widmak
Last edited by Widowmaker on 2007-12-30 23:31:50, edited 1 time in total.
Widmak

kinggeorge
Major

Re: Land Usage map

Post by kinggeorge » 2003-01-28 12:26:00

You mean they actually can use the land in icelands? :D :D
I'd model iceland in winter - you need just one tile - all white :D

Snowman
Recruit

Post by Snowman » 2003-01-29 16:58:00

Try: http://edcdaac.usgs.gov/glcc/euras_int.html
The data IIRC is 1km resolution (hopefully good enough), with many different land cover types - you may need to modify/group them to use in CATE.

BTW this dataset is available for the entire globe ... perhaps some functionality could be built into CATE to ingest/convert this???

Snowman
Recruit

Post by Snowman » 2003-01-30 19:09:00

Further info....
Looks like the USGS Land Use has 24 categories:
USGS Land Use/Land Cover System Legend
Many of which could easily be mapped to the various tile sets. (no idea how many of these are present in Iceland tho).

The projection of the bmp image is well defined, in a number of projections:
Interrupted Goode Homolosine Projection
Lambert Azimuthal Equal Area Projection
And should be relatively simple to re-project into whatever projection CATE uses for Iceland.

Unfortunately the image is quite large (118MB) since it covers all of Europe & Asia - of which Iceland is a v.small part - at 1km resolution.

Wid - if you're interested, drop me a line - I might be able to re-project the image for you. ... I suppose same for any of the other theaters too.

Widowmaker
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Terrains

Post by Widowmaker » 2003-01-30 22:35:00

thank you very much

if you can reproject it it would be very nice
a 1 knm res is a tad low though for Iceland since it has a 250 res but I geus the produced image can be reworked to be a bit smoother.

/widmak
Widmak

Snowman
Recruit

Post by Snowman » 2003-01-31 03:48:00

Any idea as to the projection that the Falcon Iceland map is in? ... alternately, I might be able to take the current map and visually fit it - could you send me either the projection parameters for F4 Iceland (preferable) or the bitmap map??

...as far as the resolution, yeah - it's a bit low for Iceland, but about right for most the others.

Skyfire76
Major

Post by Skyfire76 » 2003-01-31 10:24:00

Hi Snowman,

Could you explain precisely what you would like CATE to do, regarding this topic ?

Thanks.

Regards.

Snowman
Recruit

Post by Snowman » 2003-01-31 15:02:00

First, I must admit I've never used CATE, or created a theater (other than helping HAND tile Balkans), but my understanding is that CATE will take a colour-coded bitmap of a theater and use it as a key to automatically placing the proper tiles - correct?

Now the USGS has a nice 1km resolution global land use product freely available on the web. It is presented as colour-coded bitmaps, where each colour represents a different land use (e.g. decidous forest, coniferous forest, grassland, farmland, urban...) ... I think there's about 24 different classes.

Now, IF those different classes/colours could be linked to Falcon tilesets (I believe this is how CATE works, right?) AND

IF the USGS bitmap could be re-projected into whatever projection Falcon theaters use...

Anywhere in the world could be nearly automatically (and consistantly) tiled realisticly (at 1km res) by CATE.

Summary:
1) develop mapping of the 24 land classes used by USGS into Falcon tilesets (I think this is normally done for use of CATE).
2) re-projecting of the USGS bitmap to fit Falcon theaters (so it can be used by CATE).

[#2 I can probably do by hand for Iceland -if I get the needed info/map - but doing it automatically would be great]

That was basically the suggestion that came to mind, after I took a quick look for data for Wid. ... but not having much hands-on knowledge of CATE or modern theater development, maybe I'm just blowing smoke..

Feel free to contact me via r_w_crawford@yahoo.com

Skyfire76
Major

Post by Skyfire76 » 2003-02-01 08:40:00

Well, I think you're only partly right.

CATE, as you say, already does this, more or less. The problem is not really to tile such feature here or there, the problem is transitions between different features, especially when there are river/roads/etc. at the same time.

Well, maybe I'm missing something, and maybe Snake Man could tell us what is his opinion about this.

Regards.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2003-02-01 10:50:00

quote:Originally posted by Skyfire76:
Well, maybe I'm missing something, and maybe Snake Man could tell us what is his opinion about this.
http://www.pmctactical.org/f4/cgi-bin/u ... 3&t=000165

PMC TFW
Snake Man
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Snowman
Recruit

Post by Snowman » 2003-02-01 21:49:00

Snakeman - I'd guess that if my method would work (really wish I was a GIS guy!) you wouldn't have had to spend the better part of the night adjusting the various land maps to the ODS theater. That's basically the step I'm talking about.

Skyfire - the availability of the various transition tiles isn't addressed here, no. (calling KG!! ;)) BTW I would assume for any auto-tiling programme to be expected to work a full set of transition tiles would be required.

Skyfire76
Major

Post by Skyfire76 » 2003-02-03 08:16:00

Well, call me dumb if you want guys :D, but I still have no idea of what you would like me to do.

Besides, being on dial-up, there's no way I'm going to download a 118 MB picture to try to have an idea ;)

Regards.

Skyfire76
Major

Post by Skyfire76 » 2003-02-04 11:44:00

OK, Snowman, T_Rex kindly forwarded me your email. Tell me if I have this right :

You want a program that reads your data, and transforms it into a BMP that could be immediatly used by CATE (i.e. color-coded tiles, but also which fits perfectly to the theater size, and maybe as well with CATE conf file already done :D).

Well, apart from the last part of course, I think this should be done by another program (not by CATE). Besides, if I'm not mistaken, some things have already been developed for coordinates transformation, so I think it would be easier to update those existing programs.

Ideas, anyone ?

Regards.

Snowman
Recruit

Post by Snowman » 2003-02-04 13:07:00

Yeah (except for the last part) ... just taking the global 1 km land use data converting coords to produce a BMP suitable for CATE usage.
(kinda wish I'd said that to begin with ;-))

Outside CATE is probably fine - and as I mentioned in my e-mail, might be best.

My e-mail included a C program to go from the global land use data coords into geopgraphic lat/lon coords ... just need conversion from lat/lon into 'CATE usable BMP coords'. (which may/or may not already exist).

If such a program/proceedure could be developed I think it would greatly speed the production and accuracy of terrain building.

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2003-02-04 15:55:00

Something else - it will take some of the "scary factor" out of it for new campaign developers. With this, it would be a matter of taking the tools available, the handy-dandy theater tutorial, and tile making. Granted, tile making ain't easy, but with all the tilesets currently available, I think people could piece together the ones they want. :)
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Snowman
Recruit

Post by Snowman » 2003-02-04 17:34:00

Yeah - I think with this the construction of terrains would be firmly grounded in reality as well as reducing the "scary factor" ;)

...from there, (from what I know) the next stumbling block is Objective Linking ...