Changing the name of ODS theater?

Operation Desert Storm theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Should the Operation Desert Storm theater name be changed?

Poll ended at 2009-04-14 17:00:24

Yes
22%
No
44%
I really don't care
33%

Total votes: 9

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Changing the name of ODS theater?

Post by Snake Man » 2009-01-14 17:00:24

There has been some discussion lately about changing the name Operation Desert Storm theater to something else.

Operation Desert Storm (ODS) was the big military op to eject Saddam Hussein from Kuwait, it was "the war" of my generation (little did I knew that 10+ years later we have rematch hehe). So when I wanted to make middle east theater to represent this war, its name came naturally to ODS. Since then, we've had small scale strikes from US forces into Iraq because of the no fly zone violations etc, and of course even the youngest forum members (should) remember the 2003 Operation Iraq(i) Freedom.

So in other words, using the name ODS limits us a bit and sort of gives false impression what this theater is representing. Yes of course we decided to have the airbase data from 1991 and few bases have been changed/built since, but who knows how many skirmishes will there be in our lifetimes in this theaters landscape.

However "ODS" theater is the stock default standard of Falcon 4 theater scene, everyone knows it and its background, its been available for years now... if we change the name, even though all the physical stuff remains the same, I'm 100% sure name change would cause huge confusion for months (if not years) to come...

To cut is short, would it be good idea to change the name of ODS theater to something else?

What would we benefit from this, REALLY benefit, other than to call the theater what it really has grown to be now?

And what would this other name be, would "Middle East" theater be too generic or also giving false impression, or does the area cover "middle east" enough?
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

toonces
Brig. General

Re: Changing the name of ODS theater?

Post by toonces » 2009-01-14 18:02:36

I vote "no".

The name honors the legacy of all the folks who poured who knows how much free time into creating this theater. Also, the confusion point makes sense too.

In the future, if the development of campaigns in this theater diverge significantly, you can always create a new theater, built upon this one, and release it separately.

Sherlock
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Sherlock » 2009-01-14 18:19:02

I voted yes for the simple reason that I believe it will actually cut down on confusion, not add to it. Right now we have a ODS version for AF, a ODS version for FF3, a ODS version for SP3/4, a ODS version for OF, etc. (you get my drift). By renaming it to a new name there will be ONE version for all three flown versions of Falcon (AF/OF/RV) and it will differentiate it from the older versions floating around.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

RingoSurf
2nd Lt

Post by RingoSurf » 2009-01-14 22:29:57

an alternative name: middle est theater

RingoSurf
2nd Lt

Post by RingoSurf » 2009-01-15 21:12:58

....and ODS is one of the three scenarios of middle east theater