Operation Desert Storm v0.6 release!

Operation Desert Storm theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Operation Desert Storm v0.6 release!

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-02 07:24:06

Operation Desert Storm Theater v0.6

larger image

Download PMC_DesertStorm_Theater_v0.6.rar - 285mb
Mirror 1: megaupload.com
Mirror 2:
Mirror 3: Deltasix
Mirror 4: filefront
Mirror 5: twaelti 1
Mirror 6: twaelti 2
Thanks everyone for hosting, appreciated. If you can host, please let us know.

This is PMC Operation Desert Storm Theater release for Falcon 4 Allied Force and RedViper (should work in OpenFalcon too but I have not tested, Couby hint hint). This version comes with full exe installer and there should be no problems installing it.

Changelog

Code: Select all

--- bugs
- few remaining old 128 res tiles left, mostly road/river transitions.
- 08_26 city airbase tiles missing from .bin.
- 08_26 desert airbase tiles missing from .bin.
- 11_29 city airbase tiles missing from .bin.
- 11_29 forest airbase tiles missing from .bin.
- 01_19 rough grazing tiles missing from .bin.
- 01_19 city airbase tiles missing from .bin.
- 32_14 irrigated airbase (2 ABs) tiles missing from .bin.
- 21_03 desert (or city, take a pick) airbase tiles missing from .bin.
- no theaterlabel for F4AF.
- 1991 ODS theater tga file typo "dessert".
- forest to grazing(?) road transition palette wrong.
- CATE AB unknown type airbase too low, desert. ODS_bug-001.jpg

--- fixes v0.6
- added brand new light/dark mountain and snowcap terrain tiles + transitions.
- CATE AB config fixed for 702 offset pastures.
- CATE AB config fixed for 02_20 airbase type grazing.
- created new CATE bitmap painted 1:1 real campaign map.
- save0 trigger file tweaked.
- save1 and 2 trigger files faulty, fixed.
- one junction objective with 200 priority, fixed.
- some misc objectives with 0 priority, fixed.
- some iraq (nuke?) sites with 0 priority, fixed.
- CATE AB config fixed for 32_14 arable land.
- CATE AB config added for new airbases, not totally complete but near.
- added several airbase tiles for several terrain types.
- tile hwrod20b offset 1319 is missing, fixed.
- tile hwrod20d offset 1321 is missing, fixed.
- CATE AB config fixed for 23_05 airbase type desert.
- CATE AB config fixed for KIMPO airbase type desert.
- CATE AB config fixed for Sunan airbase type desert.
- CATE AB config fixed for 32_14 airbase type desert.
Its important to notice that we left the User Interface (UI) empty now, there is no instant action or campaign squadron selection map images or country flags for example. This will not cause any problems actually flying the theater and enjoying it, you just see korean theater on the few places. We will include UI in the future, this is not a bug you need to report.

Install

Uninstall ALL previous ODS versions! You can just delete the directory and remove the desstorm entries from theaters.lst file.

Read the readme in the release rar. Run the PMC_DesertStorm_Theater_v0.6.exe file and choose either RV/OF or AF install depending on your Falcon version. Remember that the installation takes a long time to complete and is extremely heavy on the system, be prepared not to do anything on the background and to reboot your computer after the install is complete.

Done!

Feedback

We are looking for bug reports and feedback, if you are interested of helping to edit this theater, just let us know, we will welcome any and all help being it research, bug testing or actual editing. Report all bugs into the ODS v0.6 bug reports topic.

We will answer all your questions and then some. If you do not have account in here, you need to email me so I can create one for you (new user registrations disallowed because of too many spammers). Email me to pmc at pmctactical dot org address or contact me at Frugals or FreeFalcon forums.
Last edited by Snake Man on 2007-09-25 04:06:00, edited 4 times in total.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Ice
Recruit

Post by Ice » 2007-04-03 09:12:39

Great effort Snake Man. Well done.
         "The Dutch"

bigstone
1st Lt

Post by bigstone » 2007-04-04 00:39:34

Thank you SnakeMan!!! Now can I use tacedit for RV to change the F-16CJ's in Operation Desert Storm to F-16CG's? Only two ANG units flew F-16A's and the rest of the USAF deployed F-16C Block 40's. :D

Couby
1st Lt

Re: Operation Desert Storm v0.6 release!

Post by Couby » 2007-04-04 10:48:51

Snake Man wrote: (should work in OpenFalcon too but I have not tested, Couby hint hint).
Still no internet connection at home :( . Hope to get back connected by the end of the week...
ImageImage

SUBS17
Recruit

Post by SUBS17 » 2007-04-05 04:40:10

Theatre looks good so far, great job guys.

Couby
1st Lt

Post by Couby » 2007-04-08 23:21:20

Just testing now the v0.6 installer with OF.

I've got a problem with the seasonswicther process. It is not compressing desertstorm textures but it is recompressing korean textures :? .

Another small problem with the theater.lst modification. The DesertStorm1.tdf definition is just after my korea3.tdf instead of a new line.

I got :

terrdata/theaterdefinition/kto.tdf
terrdata/theaterdefinition/korea.tdf
terrdata/theaterdefinition/korea2.tdf
terrdata/theaterdefinition/korea3.tdfTheaters\DesertStorm\DesertStorm1.tdf
Theaters\DesertStorm\DesertStorm2.tdf
Theaters\DesertStorm\DesertStorm3.tdf
Instead of :

terrdata/theaterdefinition/korea3.tdf
Theaters\DesertStorm\DesertStorm1.tdf

Another point I'd like to mention. I'm working these days on the ITO2 conversion for OF. You know ITO2 has its own object database, ui, etc...
I have to say that there is no direct use of database and ui files ! Even for ui, some adaptations are needed. And for database, I'm still trying but without success, and as discussed with Ranger822, I'm about to start exporting/importing models from ITO2 database to an OF based one...

This to say, for ODS, as it is the topic here :oops: , that the common installer both for AF/RV/OF is a very appealing idea. Yet I think we'll have to manage dedicated files depending on the version.
So wouldn't it be better to built version dedicated installers, and use the modding work as a common ressource ? :?
ImageImage

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-09 00:07:59

That looks to me like you have end of file at the korea3.tdf<- part instead of end of line, if you know what I mean? That would be then something to work with lstupdate.exe but I think Malc has went underground now.

With the experience from ODS installer I'm pretty confident that we can have three different databases and UI's included in the one installer.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

SUBS17
Recruit

Post by SUBS17 » 2007-04-09 05:10:37

I have few ideas to make ODS better.
1/ how about theatre name in the main screen instead of Korea(plus also the map, the one for OF is brilliant)
2/ Any thoughts on a ODS skin pack, is a separate objects file possible for ODS?
3/ Speech pack and maybe a speech folder separate for ODS like what Janes F-15E has so then you can have middle eastern accent on the tower as well as European voices from other packages.
4/ Desert storm realistic weather based on what happened during desertstorm. In the first week the temperature dropped and it snowed in the North half of Iraq. Maybe a Winter tile set could be used?
5/ An unstall button would be cool too for when better versions are available.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-09 05:17:03

1) Name for AF is on the next version. I dont know about RV or OF.
2) Separate objects file will be on the next version. Are you good with skins, can you help with applying the skins?
3) ATC and other voices are difficult I have been told.
4) In AF the weather is not working, OF I dont know but RV it works but I dont know any details about modifying it.

PMC since 1984

kinggeorge
Major

Post by kinggeorge » 2007-04-09 09:50:36

whoohoo it lives on :) 2 thumbs up ;)

phoenix
Recruit

Post by phoenix » 2007-04-09 10:02:27

Hi all,

I was just wondering if i could make a suggestion without sounding offensive...

Would it not be better to have all teams working on one theater at a time and a specific theater installer for that said version :?:

Later a unified version could be made and released to the public...

Each team could betatest their version using their own testers for ex OF team could get naldo and their guys to betatest their version and FF team could get their fanbase to test their version and maybe multivipers could test AF version...

All teams would still be working here side by side sharing info and wouldnt need to worry about conflicts with other versions as they are very differant in structure...

AF\OF\RV use completely differant database\textures\ect from each other and tyrying to get a unified version of all these theaters fully working at once with their own installer is no small task (abeit it is a superb idea).

Start with ODS and let each team work on their own version whilst helping each other out and dont release anything until the online squadrons have tested them and they have at least three fully working campaigns with proper trigger files and proper win\lose scenarios.

I would seriously put release of any more theaters on hold until they are fully working with campaigns that have been well tested...

As for the public release well when its done its done and fuck em if they dont like the wait...

Also their is vast amounts of work to be done with Tacedit alone before these theaters will l even be playable (links and objectives are broken in every theater for all versions)

Hope i dont sound offensive but just shedding some thoughts on what might be a better way to go...

One theater at a time when its ready and just let the teams betatest them instead of going public at all until the theater in question is completed and ready....

Chow :)

Fafa
Captain

Post by Fafa » 2007-04-09 11:11:40

The best should be to create the DB now and editing the campaign units after or why not another solution : 3theaters (3campaign each) so rename them as
ODSforOF/ODSforRVand ODSforAF. The user should download the common installer but has to choose the good theater, so no DB prob with. In another way I think 09 campaigns is too much excessive for one version of Falcon.

SUBS17
Recruit

Post by SUBS17 » 2007-04-09 12:28:57

Snake Man wrote:1) Name for AF is on the next version. I dont know about RV or OF.
2) Separate objects file will be on the next version. Are you good with skins, can you help with applying the skins?
3) ATC and other voices are difficult I have been told.
4) In AF the weather is not working, OF I dont know but RV it works but I dont know any details about modifying it.
I'd be willing to help with the skins for AF, I haven't tried doing dds skins yet for OF or RV yet. Another thing maybe someone should talk to Jiri about adding support for these theatres on Hyperlobby as HL dosen't yet allow other theatres except the stock AF ones. I think viewing the theatre in a historic perspective and making it more to follow what actually happened(as easy as it seems from the news reports) would make it easier to work. eg conscript units dug in along the front line, republican guard to the rear and also the units that were in Kuwait. Plus how about 2 SAS units make a cameo appearance.
Bravo 2 zero was on the run on foot at the start of Desert Storm and Victor 22 were in vehicles and made raids across Iraq. Another thing is that the war had alot of Iraqi aircraft escape into Iran and the ground war was a blitzkreig with intense artillery, armour and CAS. There might be some good resourses on the internet which may help researching the ground war.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-09 12:55:03

I have the old ODS skins here in my hdd, how do I apply them into AF?

PMC since 1984

Couby
1st Lt

Post by Couby » 2007-04-09 13:59:58

Snake Man wrote:That looks to me like you have end of file at the korea3.tdf<- part instead of end of line, if you know what I mean? That would be then something to work with lstupdate.exe but I think Malc has went underground now.
Yes, sure that is the problem I encountered.
Yet I think it would make the installer more rock solid if able to face such mistake. With AutoIt the command was adding the line, whatever could be the end of line, and I think it would be good to get that also in the installer ;).

Is the seasonswitcher problem fixed for the next installer, or am I alone to get this :?: :?

Snake Man wrote: With the experience from ODS installer I'm pretty confident that we can have three different databases and UI's included in the one installer.
Sounds good :!: 8)
ImageImage

Sherlock
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0

Post by Sherlock » 2007-04-09 15:34:05

phoenix wrote:Hi all,

Would it not be better to have all teams working on one theater at a time and a specific theater installer for that said version :?:
Phoenix,
it's a good suggestion but I'm afraid it's not very practical since there are people like me :) who don't fly OF or RV and only want to make theaters for AF. Or there are people working here like Couby who (I think) only works on OF theaters because that is what he flys...

IMHO, working on only one installation helps me keep my sanity. If I was trying to do something on another installation type (RV/OF) while still flying AF and wanting to make theaters for it then I think I would loose it ;)
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-09 16:11:36

Couby wrote:Yet I think it would make the installer more rock solid if able to face such mistake.
Yes it would be pretty nice to fix.
With AutoIt the command was adding the line, whatever could be the end of line, and I think it would be good to get that also in the installer
autoit, I have no idea about it, I'm already pretty good with NSIS and dont want to learn yet another installer right now.
Is the seasonswitcher problem fixed for the next installer, or am I alone to get this
Apparently ODS installer didn't update the registry if I'm correct so korea was run instead of ODS? How did you fix that?

PMC since 1984

Couby
1st Lt

Post by Couby » 2007-04-09 16:40:49

Snake Man wrote:
With AutoIt the command was adding the line, whatever could be the end of line, and I think it would be good to get that also in the installer
autoit, I have no idea about it, I'm already pretty good with NSIS and dont want to learn yet another installer right now.
Was just an exemple, I imagine there is something similar with NSIS :oops: .

Snake Man wrote:
Is the seasonswitcher problem fixed for the next installer, or am I alone to get this
Apparently ODS installer didn't update the registry if I'm correct so korea was run instead of ODS? How did you fix that?
Yes that is.
In my installer I was changing registry keys to ODS before running seasonswitcher, and then changing back to Korea at the end.
Here you could change registry keys to ODS at the same moment and just change the result of the answer at the ending question "do you want to activate ODS theater".
If yes answered -> no change
If no answered -> regkeys back to korea
ImageImage

SUBS17
Recruit

Post by SUBS17 » 2007-04-09 21:21:33

Snake Man wrote:I have the old ODS skins here in my hdd, how do I apply them into AF?
You can use Lod editor to place tem in 1 tex at a time or you can create a SKN file for each one and use Skin pack to install them. How many are there and what aircraft are they for?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-04-09 21:31:28

In my dir there are 171 bmp files named as the aircraft CT numbers or what ever it was (I cant remember excatly), mostly they are 256x256 skins, few of them are 128x128. Then there are the 512x512 res skins from Basil Greber of Swissflight.

CCC would know better as he has hand in creating/collecting many of these skins.

What is the skin pack install you mentioned?

PMC since 1984

SUBS17
Recruit

Post by SUBS17 » 2007-04-10 01:52:46

Skin pack which can be downloaded here at the Gamers tools:
http://www.thegamerstools.com/
There are also alot of skins in Gamers tools some of them maybe good for ODS with permission by the skinner. The other thing is that AF skins are incompatible with the other F4 mods in alot of areas so separate skin packs would be required for the other versions.

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-04-10 02:51:07

Just remember BTW that LODEditor is INCOMPATIBLE with Red Viper (Why? I don't know...ask T_Rex! ;) ) Currently I don't know of any way to get new skins into RV... Maybe T_Rex or Ripsaw can let us know of a way....?
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

molnibalage
Colonel
Editing Interests: Modeling

Post by molnibalage » 2007-04-10 18:34:35

Thx for the theater but I dont understand something. In the last month released theaters are too many aircraft and few ground units? Why?

And for the REAL ODS campaign you should use this book:

Stan Morse Gulf Air War Debrief. It describes EVERYTHING! Every squandrons names, datas and aircrafts home bases.

phoenix
Recruit

Post by phoenix » 2007-04-11 08:05:14

Sherlock wrote:
phoenix wrote:Hi all,

Phoenix,
it's a good suggestion but I'm afraid it's not very practical since there are people like me :) who don't fly OF or RV and only want to make theaters for AF. Or there are people working here like Couby who (I think) only works on OF theaters because that is what he flys...

IMHO, working on only one installation helps me keep my sanity. If I was trying to do something on another installation type (RV/OF) while still flying AF and wanting to make theaters for it then I think I would loose it ;)
Hehe,

Know what you mean :)

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2007-04-11 12:03:55

Sherlock wrote:Just remember BTW that LODEditor is INCOMPATIBLE with Red Viper (Why? I don't know...ask T_Rex! ;) ) Currently I don't know of any way to get new skins into RV... Maybe T_Rex or Ripsaw can let us know of a way....?
New skins? Just replace the existing ones in the koreaobj folder. :)

Oh... wait... I guess that doesn't help if you want to keep the old ones too.

I'll check. I'd try copying the koreaobj (with modified skins) folder into whatever the objects folder is designated in the theater.tdf and see if that makes a difference.
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-04-11 15:02:16

T_Rex wrote:
Sherlock wrote:Just remember BTW that LODEditor is INCOMPATIBLE with Red Viper (Why? I don't know...ask T_Rex! ;) ) Currently I don't know of any way to get new skins into RV... Maybe T_Rex or Ripsaw can let us know of a way....?
New skins? Just replace the existing ones in the koreaobj folder. :)

Oh... wait... I guess that doesn't help if you want to keep the old ones too.

I'll check. I'd try copying the koreaobj (with modified skins) folder into whatever the objects folder is designated in the theater.tdf and see if that makes a difference.
Tom,
are you saying that skins are directly accessible now (i.e., just drop a file in a directory called "koreaobj") and you don't have to use LODEditor anymore? Not clear at all on this; only read the reports of guys trying to use LODEditor on RV and it "bombing" out.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Khronik
PMC Theater Developer

Post by Khronik » 2007-04-11 23:42:58

LODEditor can be run with RV by using the -dxl switch that enables it to use DXL format textures though its use seems to be limited. Instead of opening the koreaobj.lod, koreaobj.dxl will show and can be read when the command line switch is used.

Unfortunately the DXM model format that RV now uses, is not compatible (at this moment?) limiting use of LODEditor for only importing skins and possibly some other functions, and anyhow directly replacing the .dds files would probably yield the same results so use of LODEditor is questionable. Also, it will CTD if you attempt to view the models and/or use other model related functions from what ive been able to do.

marvin157th
1st Lt

Post by marvin157th » 2007-04-12 23:10:22

SUBS17 wrote: 3/ Speech pack and maybe a speech folder separate for ODS like what Janes F-15E has so then you can have middle eastern accent on the tower as well as European voices from other packages.
That is everyones dream! Although this can be done, as I have recently found a decent format to accomplish this, it is a HUGE project! Not just having to say the 300 plus words and phrases, but setting up the sound files and format would take many months if not more work. The best we can do for now is changing the tower names, with a voice that somewhat matches the existing database of voices; as I have done this already, but even that is a huge project when it comes to doing a theater with many towers such as Balkans, ODS etc.

When I find more time, I am working on ideas to make the formatting process easier. If I can find a way to make the tasks much easier, then it would be worth redoing the tower voices. However, as it stands now, I am quite certain you could only get away with just replacing the existing two (male/female) voices. Either way something I would realy like to do in the future.

Jody

Malc
Lt Colonel

Post by Malc » 2007-04-13 18:22:44

Couby wrote: I got :

terrdata/theaterdefinition/korea3.tdfTheaters\DesertStorm\DesertStorm1.tdf
Instead of :

terrdata/theaterdefinition/korea3.tdf
Theaters\DesertStorm\DesertStorm1.tdf
Yes, it's most likely looking for a CRLF before writing the new lines. Oh how I wish I'd learn to take backups... I have no source code any more or I could eaily fix it... :(

Polak
Captain

Post by Polak » 2007-08-26 15:10:00

I have a problem to install ODS into F4AF and here what happens:
No registry F4 installed

and then

Error oppening L2 file
Cannot open D:\Program Files\Lead Pursuit\Battlefield Operations\Theaters\DesertStorm\terrdata\terrain\theater.l0
and indeed in this folder I have only the following files:
theater.map file
theater.l2
theater.mea
theater.o2

Is there any fix or step by step procedure how to install troublefree?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-08-26 15:48:40

Polak wrote:I have a problem to install ODS into F4AF and here what happens:
No registry F4 installed
Error oppening L2 file
Is there any fix or step by step procedure how to install troublefree?
Yes, install Falcon 4.0 original first, or at least add its registry values.

PMC since 1984

Polak
Captain

Post by Polak » 2007-08-26 19:58:44

Thanks for a tip. Works now fine. :)

bigstone
1st Lt

Post by bigstone » 2007-09-14 06:29:39

Polak wrote:Thanks for a tip. Works now fine. :)
How did you do it?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-09-14 07:07:55

This guide is for those users who only have Falcon 4 AF installed and cannot therefore install ODS (or other latest PMC theaters), not the original old one (today meaning RV or OF).

Okay use this guide at your own risk, I take no responsibility what might happen to your windows registry!

1) open a notepad, then copy paste this following text in there:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MicroProse\Falcon]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MicroProse\Falcon\4.0]
"baseDir"="d:\\falcon4"
"objectDir"="d:\\falcon4\\terrdata\\objects"
"misctexDir"="d:\\falcon4\\terrdata\\misctex"
"theaterDir"="d:\\falcon4\\terrdata\\korea"
"movieDir"="d:\\falcon4"
"curTheater"="Korea"
"PilotName"=""
"PilotCallsign"=""
"initData"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MicroProse\Falcon\4.0\MPR]
"MPRDetect3Dx"=""
"MPRDetectCPU"=""
"MPRDetectMMX"=""
"MPRDetectXMM"=""
2) Save it as "falcon4.reg", you may need to type the whole word with the extension .reg to save that file, make sure it wont save it falcon4.reg.txt!
3) In windows explorer (or whatever) double click on the falcon4.reg file and it should run this registry for your windows.
4) Run the ODS (or any latest PMC theater) installer and they should work in AF only machines just fine.

Remember this method is with your own risk, if you windows/registry is damaged, dont come to complain to me.

PMC since 1984

bigstone
1st Lt

Post by bigstone » 2007-09-14 07:49:38

Thank you but it didn't work. I shall wait for a AF release from you guys. 8)

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-09-14 09:09:46

Just a bit of statistics, there is over 5200 hits to this topic, the third mirror (only place where I get statistics) has had 4,854 downloads.

Interesting statistics... considering ODS v0.6 is the anti-christ, it takes food from your table and rapes your women (at least if you believe in frugals forum users) :lol:

PMC since 1984

sincov

Post by sincov » 2007-09-14 10:05:41

ok but when a new release with Pack OK?

bigstone
1st Lt

Post by bigstone » 2007-09-19 05:05:21

Has anyone managed to tweak the ato to generate more sorties/missions for most squadrons???

Return to “Operation Desert Storm”