ODS Airbase Tiles "To-Do" list

Operation Desert Storm theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Sherlock
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

ODS Airbase Tiles "To-Do" list

Post by Sherlock » 2007-02-13 17:12:51

SUSPENSE DATE: Please get your assigned tiles to me no later than Mar 23, 2007. We want to wrap this up and go live! :)

Recently went through and did the analysis on what ODS .512 airbases still need airbase tiles accomplished for them. Here is the "Top 3" for each type of airbase used in ODS. This is NOT a complete list, but it addresses (in priority order) the top three types of terrain airbase tiles needing to be accomplished to make the airbases fit into the surrounding terrain more naturally. Note: I have not addressed the need to REMAKE some of the existing tiles yet (there are some that down right ugly and need to be redone):

I am starting with the highest priority airbase type (the one used the most in ODS) and then going down in descending priority. I also am just listing the top 3 land types needed for the particular airbase. The list is still "long and distinguished":

11_29 Airbase, need the following airbase tiles in Priority order:
- AB to Arable Land (AL)-10 airbases use this terrain DONE
- AB to Irrigated Farming (IF)-7 airbases use this terrain Assigned to Kicker
- AB to Rough Grazing (RG)-6 airbases use this terrain

Highway Strip NS, need the following airstrip tiles in Priority order:
- AS to Desert (D)-10 airstrips use this terrain DONE
- AS to RG - 8 airstrips use this terrain Assigned to 87th_Striker
- AS to IF - 5 airstrips use this terrain Assigned to Khronik - DONE

Highway Strip EW, need the following airstrip tiles in Priority order:
- AS to RG - 9 airstrips use this terrain Assigned to 87th_Striker
- AS to IF - 7 airstrips use this terrain Assigned to Khronik - DONE
- AS to D - 6 airstrips use this terrain DONE

32_14 Airbase Rvr, need the following airbase tiles in Priority order:
- AB to RG - 7 airbases use this terrain Assigned to Closter-Done
- AB to D - 7 airbases use this terrain Assigned to Closter-Done
- AB to IF - 5 airbases use this terrain Assigned to Closter-Done

34_16 Airbase Rvr, need the following airbase tiles in Priority order:
- AB to IF - 6 airbases use this terrain Assigned to Khronik-DONE
- AB to D - 6 airbases use this terrain Assigned to Khronik-DONE
- AB to RG - 5 airbases use this terrain Assigned to Khronik-DONE

23_05 Airbase 2 Rvr, need the following airbase tiles in Priority order:
- AB to IF - 6 airbases use this terrain Assigned to Closter - DONE
- AB to City (C) - 5 airbases use this terrain Assigned to Closter - DONE
- AB to RG - 3 airbases use this terrain Assigned to Closter - DONE

12_30 Airbase Rvr, need the following airbase tiles in Priority order:
- AB to RG - 4 airbases use this terrain Assigned to Khronik - DONE
- AB to AL - 1 airbase uses this terrain Assigned to Khronik - DONE
- AB to C - 1 airbase uses this terrain Assigned to Khronik - DONE

21_03 Airbase, need the following airbase tiles in Priority order:
- AB to AL - 5 airbases use this terrain Assigned to Khronik - DONE
- AB to IF - 4 airbases use this terrain Assigned to Khronik - DONE
- AB to C - 3 airbases use this terrain Assigned to Khronik - DONE

Kimpo, need the following airbase tiles in Priority order:
- AB to IF - 3 airbases use this terrain Assigned to Khronik - DONE
- AB to C - 3 airbases use this terrain Assigned to Khronik - DONE
- AB to RG - 1 airbase uses this terrain Assigned to Khronik - DONE

08_26 Airbase Rvr, need the following airbase tiles in Priority order:
- AB to IF - 4 airbases use this terrain Assigned to Khronik - DONE
- AB to AL - 4 airbases use this terrain Assigned to Khronik - DONE
- AB to RG - 2 airbases use this terrain Assigned to Khronik - DONE

30_12 Airbase Rvr, need the following airbase tiles in Priority order:
- AB to D - 4 airbases use this terrain Assigned to Khronik - DONE
- AB to IF - 2 airbases use this terrain Assigned to Khronik - DONE

26_08 Airbase Rvr, need the following airbase tiles in Priority order:
- AB to AL - 5 airbases use this terrain Assigned to Khronik - DONE
- AB to D - 1 airbase uses this terrain Assigned to Khronik - DONE

02_20 Airbase Rvr, need the following airbase tiles in Priority order:
- AB to IF - 2 airbases use this terrain Assigned to Khronik - DONE
- AB to C - 2 airbases use this terrain Assigned to Khronik - DONE
- AB to RG - 1 airbase uses this terrain Assigned to Khronik - DONE

01_19 Airbase, need the following airbase tiles in Priority order:
- AB to AL - 4 airbases use this terrain Assigned to kai87th
- AB to C - 1 airbase uses this terrain

36_18 Airbase (will change to GEN AFB), need the following airbase tiles in Priority order:
- AB to D - 1 airbase uses this terrain Assigned to SUBS17
- AB to IF - 1 airbase uses this terrain
- AB to RG - 1 airbase uses this terrain

02_20 Airbase 2 Rvr, need the following airbase tiles in Priority order:
- AB to AL - 1 airbase uses this terrain

SUNAN, need the following airbase tiles in Priority order:
- AB to AL - 1 airbase uses this terrain
- AB to IF - 1 airbase uses this terrain
- AB to RG - 1 airbase uses this terrain

505 Wonson, need the following airbase tiles in Priority order:
- AB to Forest - 1 airbase uses this terrain Assigned to Malc - DONE

05_23 Airbase 2 Rvr, needs the following airbase tiles in Priority order:
- AB to IF - 1 airbase uses this terrain DONE with 23_05
Last edited by Sherlock on 2007-06-19 07:26:41, edited 17 times in total.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-04 16:48:56

Bump

The F4Spain team has been gracious enough to share their work with me. I have gone through their texture.bin and found those airbase tiles that I can use for ODS and Iran. I have updated the list above in BOLD, to the right of the entry if I found any airbase tiles that will work. I have also updated the fact that I created Highway Strip tiles for Desert terrain to be used for both orientations.
EDIT: I found out that the color palette on the F4Spain tiles doesn't match the desert scheme color palette for ODS. So I had to delete those entries from the F4Spain tile set. Thanks anyway guys!

If anyone wants to make some airbase tiles, here is what we need to bring these theaters along. To avoid anyone working on duplicates with another please post here and I will update the top post to keep it straight who is working on what.
Last edited by Sherlock on 2007-03-08 15:44:56, edited 1 time in total.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

87th_striker
Brig. General

Post by 87th_striker » 2007-03-04 19:24:12

Hi Sherlock, give me a small one to start with. Mail me at StrikerAT87th.org

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-04 19:55:45

87th_striker wrote:Hi Sherlock, give me a small one to start with. Mail me at StrikerAT87th.org
How about Highway Strip to Rough Grazing? That will take care of both the North-South and East-West Highway strips for all Rough Grazing terrain themes. Do you need a picture posted of Rough Grazing terrain or are you familiar enough with TerrainView that you can pull it up?

That will take care of 17 Airstrips in one fell swoop because we can rotate the tiles 90 degrees and use the NS ones as EW tiles. Pretty cool huh? That's what I an going to do wth the ones I created for the Desert theme areas.

Email sent and

Thanks!
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Khronik
PMC Theater Developer

Post by Khronik » 2007-03-05 21:59:46

Finished up a first set last night.. Originally i had used the existing airbase template but considering were using 512 tiles i chose to use actual sat images edited to fit the application.

Im not sure about object placement though as its not exactly the same surface layout. I kept them as close as possible.

ORIGINAL 34_16

http://deltasix.game-files.net/khronik/ ... 16_512.jpg

NEW ODS 34_16

http://deltasix.game-files.net/khronik/ ... 512_DE.jpg
http://deltasix.game-files.net/khronik/ ... 512_RG.jpg
http://deltasix.game-files.net/khronik/ ... 512_IF.jpg

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-05 22:59:44

Those look AWESOME Khronik! I can't wait to see them in the sim! :)

I'm afraid you are going to make all mine look terrible! :( :wink:

As to whether they will work or not in-sim, I can't see why not right now. But some folks have said they have made tiles they thought would look really nice in-sim which later turned out to look crappy and vice-versa. I guess we'll just have to try them and see.

I'm thinking we should put together a new texture.zip/texture.bin package of your new airbase tiles, my airstrip tiles (and any other "NEW TECH" type tiles we have) and try them out for real.

Thoughts?
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Khronik
PMC Theater Developer

Post by Khronik » 2007-03-05 23:13:28

Yeah I need to see in game how the object placement will sit on the textures. As for them not looking good in the game well see but its gotta be better than that 128x128 korea stock texture.

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-05 23:49:13

Khronik wrote:Yeah I need to see in game how the object placement will sit on the textures. As for them not looking good in the game well see but its gotta be better than that 128x128 korea stock texture.
@Khronik, when you made your images did you create one large image and then break it into the 6 tiles or did you keep the tiles separate and lay down part of the satellite imagery on them tile by tile?

Can you explain for the tutorial I am putting together (for more advanced graphics folks) how you did this so I can include it in the tutorial? Thanks!
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Khronik
PMC Theater Developer

Post by Khronik » 2007-03-06 00:03:28

I used one large image then broke it into 6 512x512 pieces.

Heres a quick summary of my method.

First i took one of each terrain type examples from ODS, one for desert one for Irrigated and one for Rough.

I then made a new image that was 1024 x 1532 and layed down 6x of the same ground terrain type. This has to be done 3x as there was 3 terrain types to cater to.

Once i had 3 1024x1532 images, each with there own terrain type, I overlapped on a new layer the new gfx i had for the airbase, having to manipulate it previously to get it to keep the same headings.

I then tweaked each airbase to better match the terrain type using serveral gradients and shading passes.

Once all 3 AB ground types were done I cut the images back into 6 512x512 pieces respectively and were done.

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-06 00:43:05

Khronik wrote:I used one large image then broke it into 6 512x512 pieces.

Heres a quick summary of my method.

First i took one of each terrain type examples from ODS, one for desert one for Irrigated and one for Rough.

I then made a new image that was 1024 x 1532 and layed down 6x of the same ground terrain type. This has to be done 3x as there was 3 terrain types to cater to.

Once i had 3 1024x1532 images, each with there own terrain type, I overlapped on a new layer the new gfx i had for the airbase, having to manipulate it previously to get it to keep the same headings.

I then tweaked each airbase to better match the terrain type using serveral gradients and shading passes.

Once all 3 AB ground types were done I cut the images back into 6 512x512 pieces respectively and were done.
Thanks Khronik.
I've rolled that into the tutorial and will try to post it tonight if I can get it finished. Otherwise it will be tomorrow.

BTW, if/when you get the time, could you do a step-by-step (with pics :) ) so we've got this down for all of us "graphically challenged" users like me to follow? ;)
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Khronik
PMC Theater Developer

Post by Khronik » 2007-03-06 01:02:18

Sherlock wrote: BTW, if/when you get the time, could you do a step-by-step (with pics :) ) so we've got this down for all of us "graphically challenged" users like me to follow? ;)
I dont have time tonight though I can whip something up as soon as I can confirm these new tiles work. You mentioned using 512x512 tiles. Is this supported with the AB tiles also?

Closter
Captain

Post by Closter » 2007-03-06 01:26:53

Please, give me the 23_05. But please send me the basic tiles, I don't know them by name.

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-06 01:38:22

Khronik wrote:
Sherlock wrote: BTW, if/when you get the time, could you do a step-by-step (with pics :) ) so we've got this down for all of us "graphically challenged" users like me to follow? ;)
I dont have time tonight though I can whip something up as soon as I can confirm these new tiles work. You mentioned using 512x512 tiles. Is this supported with the AB tiles also?
hehe...I didn't mean you needed to do it tonight m8! Only when you have the time (but hopefully soon!). Actually, I'm concerned now that the old airbase tiles plus the ones I've done are going to look out of place/tacky with yours in the same theater. ;) I need to up my skillz! :)

Yes, 512x512 tiles are supported for the airbases. Over half of the ones currently in ODS are already 512x512 airbase tiles.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-06 01:42:17

Closter wrote:Please, give me the 23_05. But please send me the basic tiles, I don't know them by name.
Closter, thanks for helping!

On the 23_05, there currently three different sets that need to be done. Are you saying you will do all three (IF, City and RG)? Otherwise, you need to pick the one you would like to do.

Do you need the actual Korean tiles or just their filenames? (not clear on what you need)...I still have your email addy so no problem on transmitting them.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Closter
Captain

Post by Closter » 2007-03-06 02:09:44

I will do the three of them, no problem.
I need the pcx or whatever. I don't know exactly what is "irrigated farming", "Rough Grazing" or "city" (ok I can have a slight idea, but I want to know exactly the tile that you want me to use as background). Perhaps it's done.

Sherlock
Lt. General

Airbase tile making tutorial

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-06 02:42:45

NOTE: This is incomplete but I am still working on it and will update/finish it as time permits.

Ok, we've got several new folks coming on board who have signed up to make airbase tiles. Their level of experience is variable so I thought I would put down some detailed notes on how I've started making ODS airbase textures for folks that have never done anything like this before. For the more experienced folks if you have any pointers please don't be shy to offer them up in this thread. When it comes to graphics work I am NOT the guy to ask for expert help! ;)

Here is how I do my tiles currently:

1. I use Red Dog's fine F4 airbase Tile guide that can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/?7btckntzftn

2. I get my tile assignment from this post at PMC: viewtopic.php?t=20952

Just post in the thread which airbase - terrain type you want assigned and I will update the first post I made to assign the airbase(s) you want to you. The airbase tiles that are already assigned will be designated as such with someones name beside them, e.g., Assigned to Khronk

3. Using the airbase orientation/heading I look through Red Dog's airbase Tile guide and find the original Korean tiles associated with that airbase orientation. For example, the 11_29 airbase (Ongjin AB), can be found on page 6 of Red Dog's Guide. This airbase used the following filenames:

HBASE3D0.pcx
HBASE3D1.pcx
HBASE3D2.pcx
HBASE3D3.pcx
HBASE3D4.pcx
HBASE3D5.pcx

(note: I am assuming you are working on Allied Force tiles which are .pcx texture files; if you are working on OF or RV tiles the texture files will end in .dds and the filenames [for a particular airbase tile] MAY be different but I don't know that for sure).

All theater terrain textures are found in the TEXTURE.ZIP file (for allied force). For the ODS theater, the TEXTURE.ZIP file can be found at the following default installation path:

c:\Program Files\Lead Pursuit\Battlefield Operations\ODSAF\terrdata\Desstorm\texture

I make a copy of the ODS TEXTURE.ZIP file and then unzip the copy to a new work folder so that if later I screw up something it won't affect my original ODS installation. Alternatively, you can just extract out of the TEXTURE.ZIP the files you will need to use (and not expand the whole thing if you don't have the disk space).

4. Ok, now I am going to back up a step and acquaint you with the different types of terrain that are found in the ODS landscape. In total there are ten types. They are:

Rural City
Modern City
Light Mountain
Dark Mountain
Desert
Pasture
Rough Grazing
Irrigated Farming
Arable Land
Forest

For the purpose of making airbase tiles we are only concerned with the following sub-group of the above terrain types:

Modern City
Desert
Pasture
Rough Grazing
Irrigated Farming
Arable Land
Forest

Here is what each of the terrain types look like and use (and you will use) as their base texture tile from the TEXTURE.ZIP file:

Image Image
.....................Modern City=HCITY80F.pcx.........................................Desert=HDSRT001.pcx

Image Image
.....................Pasture=HSAND10F.pcx...........................................Rough Grazing=HSWAMA0F.pcx

Image Image
......................Irrigated Farming=HVEG10F.pcx............................Arable Land=HARAB00F.pcx

.......................Forest=HWOOD10F.pcx

5. Note that you should do all your work on the images in 24 bit/16 Million colors. All Allied Force texture images are originally 8 bit/256 bit INDEXED pcx images. You need to convert them up before working on them. Once you are done with them then convert them back to 8 bit/256 indexed images before doing your final save (BUT KEEP THE 24 bit IMAGE ALSO!!!)

6. For the next step in the process, you have a choice to make. You can use what I will call the beginner method (hehe..the method I used! ;) ) or you can use a more advanced method like Khronik is using for his airbase tiles. I summarize each method below:

a. Beginner method: Basically, the beginner method is the "color by numbers" type of tile making. You start with the original Korean tile from the set assigned to you. You use the Korean tile as your guide to cover over the mostly green Korean textures with ODS specific textures. To do this you will need to copy the texture of the source base tile to the exterior area of the airbase tile (I use Paint Shop Pro clone brush for this). Then you fill in the interior of the airbase tile with as realistic texture as you can (I use the airbase interior from image HBASE401.pcx). Finally, you find a natural appearing color that can be used as the airbase "perimeter" color to offset the interior texture from the exterior texture of the airbase. Here is an image I did to help you figure out what my description really means when looking at a tile:

b. Advanced method: This method was just used by Khronik to lay down actual satellite imagery from Google. I haven't try this yet (so Khronik please correct me if I suppose incorrectly). First, find an airport image that closely matches the airbase you are building the tiles for in ODS. The runway heading(s) need to be close to the runway headings you are making the tiles for in ODS otherwise if you rotate the image too much it will get out of alignment and not fit your tiles properly. Take your screenshot from google and crop it to just the airport area. Then rotate the image to match the set of Korean tiles heading (as close as you can get it). Then, depending on the number of different airbase tiles you are making, take one of each terrain type example from ODS (e.g., Rough Grazing). Then make a new image that is 1024 x 1532 pixels and layed down 6x of the same ground terrain type (e.g., Rough Grazing). Do this as many times as you have different terrain types to make airbases for. Once you have all of your 1024x1532 images prepared (each with their own terrain type), then overlapped on a new layer the new graphic for the airbase. Finally you can tweak each airbase to better match the terrain type using several passes of gradients and shading. When you are done you can cut up the different completed terrain type images into 6 512x512 pieces. Don't forget to name the tiles identical to the original names so we know what airbase they are for! (Note: Khronik has graciously agreed to provide a more detailed tutorial in the near future when time allows :) )

7. Here is the step-by-step for the Beginner Method:

a. Have your TEXTURE.ZIP extracted (or the airbase tiles you are going to remake for ODS extracted) and placed in a separate "work" directory. Also, have the source terrain type files described above extracted and in your "work" directory.
b. Convert all images to 24 bit/16 million colors.
c. Open one of the Korean airbase tiles in your graphics program and resize it to 512x512 pixels. I am dong the 11_29 airbase tiles in this example so tile HBASE3D1.pcx looks like this for this airbase set (original Korean):

d. Next, open up the default terrain source file for the exterior area of the airbase you are working on. In my example, I am creating 11_29 airbase tiles for the Arable Land terrain type. So I open up tile HARAB00F.pcx from the ODS TEXTURE.ZIP (which I previously extracted). This tile looks like this:

e. I use the clone brush tool in Paint Shop Pro 7 to clone the texture from HARAB00F.pcx to the exterior airbase portion of the new tile (HBASE3D1) I am working on. Note: The Arable Land textures are designed to line up at their edges (as are most of the other tiles) so you need to locate your clone source at a corner of the source tile and then start painting on the new tile at the same corner so the texture transfers to the exact corresponding location on the new tile as it is on the source terrain tile. I use a setting of 100 for hardness, density and opacity to transfer all the texture and not have any "bleed through" of the old korean texture. I vary the size of the round brush I am using depending on the area I need to paint on the new tile. Here is an example of a partially completed image so you see what I am talking about:

f.
Last edited by Sherlock on 2007-03-06 06:54:51, edited 2 times in total.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-06 03:19:30

Closter wrote:I will do the three of them, no problem.
I need the pcx or whatever. I don't know exactly what is "irrigated farming", "Rough Grazing" or "city" (ok I can have a slight idea, but I want to know exactly the tile that you want me to use as background). Perhaps it's done.
Closter,
I have updated the assigned airbase list in the first post with your name...

My last post should answer your questions about background (source) tiles. I give the filename associated with each type of terrain in that post.

Using Red Dogs airbase tile guide (see tutorial post #1) I get the following list of tiles from the original Korean TEXTURE.ZIP file for the 23_05 airbase type:

FARM TYPE
HBASE3A1
HBASE3A2
HBASE3A3
HBASE3A4
HBASE3A5
HBASE3A6
HBASE3A7

FORREST TYPE
HBASE3C1
HBASE3C2
HBASE3C3
HBASE3C4
HBASE3C5
HBASE3C6
HBASE3C7

GRASS TYPE
HBASE3B1
HBASE3B2
HBASAE3B3
HBASE3B4
HBASE3B5
HBASE3B6
HBASE3B7

All three sets of these tiles (Farm, Forrest, Grass) are basically the same airbase outline. Choose one you like the best for the ODS terrain types you are doing and go with it as your guide for making the ODS new tiles (or use Khroniks method which is pretty much entirely different).

Let me know if you have any more questions or need anything.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-06 06:45:02

Sherlock please edit the tutorial post not to put all four tiles side by side as it breaks down the forum layout which is suited for 800x600 res, it makes reading the forum a bitch as you have to scroll left and right. You can have two side by side to fit. Thanks.

That stuff looks great. Also I'm amazed beyond words that "so many" guys are helping out as I never thought it could be possible, if all goes through the ODS will have great airbase facelift. Crossing fingers here and holding breath.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-06 06:57:34

Snake Man wrote: Sherlock please edit the tutorial post not to put all four tiles side by side as it breaks down the forum layout which is suited for 800x600 res, it makes reading the forum a bitch as you have to scroll left and right. You can have two side by side to fit. Thanks.
Done! :)
Snake Man wrote:Crossing fingers here and holding breath.
heh..me too! :)
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Closter
Captain

Post by Closter » 2007-03-06 16:58:10

My method is slightly different, but allows to work very quick:

10 steps to make base tiles sets

1.-Prepare the different backgrounds for the particular base: 05_23 ---> IR, C, RG as a 3x3 tile with the original 512 tile background. Save them as 32 bit color as reference (this could be 3x2 or 2x3 or another).

2.-New file (psd) 1536x1536 (same as above, could be 1024x1536 or 1536x1024 or whatever), background transparent. Use the guidelines with a spacing of 512. Save it as reference.

3.-Get the first tile of the base. It's 256 px, so you have to resize it. Better convert to 32 bit then resize it to 512(with bicubic interpolation). Make the same with the six other tiles of the base. Save them as reference.

4.-Load the file made in step 2. Be sure the guidelines are activated and load and put into place the tiles of the base made on step 3. Try to secure each tile is perfectly over the guides (make zoom as necessary). Combine the layers. At this point the base shape is in the same layer.

5.-Erase the parts of the base shape that you want to substitute with parts of the new background. Those parts are now transparent. Save it as reference.

6.- Load the first background, select All, copy, go to the previous file, paste in its own layer and bring it behind. Now we nearly see our base as we want it to be.

7.-Select the base layer and adjust the image color to make it "blend" better with the background. You must increase either green-red-magenta- blue, etc, as you prefer. Try to make it good looking with the present background. Save it as reference.

8.-When it looks good, then change the mode of the image to palettized or 8 bit (or 256 colors). Better use a palette of only 251 colors for a possible nightly use. Save it as reference.

9.-Now we are going to cut this big tile in smaller parts. For this we are using the canvas size. Change the canvas size to 512, and choose the apropriate side. Save the pcx with a significant name. Discard the file, and load the file made in the step 8. Repeat 9 until set is complete.

10.- Load the file made in step 5, and repeat from 6 to 9 with different backgrounds until all sets are complete.
Last edited by Closter on 2007-03-06 17:22:34, edited 1 time in total.

87th_striker
Brig. General

Post by 87th_striker » 2007-03-06 17:00:30

Ok, started looking at the highway strips...... Snake Man, did I make the arable land and the forest tile ? I think so..... And KG made a tool to view those tiles so we could check that we didn't get patterns, some simple html code to view jpgs in a mosaic..... KG, or anyone else, do you still have it ?

Closter
Captain

Post by Closter » 2007-03-06 23:41:27

05_23 Airbase is in the mail. I think I will make the 32_14 next.

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-06 23:55:16

Closter wrote:05_23 Airbase is in the mail. I think I will make the 32_14 next.
I'll update the list and put your name beside the 32_14 entries.

Edit: I did receive your email. Looking at them now.
Last edited by Sherlock on 2007-03-07 02:41:45, edited 1 time in total.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-07 00:30:19

87th_striker wrote:did I make the arable land and the forest tile ?
I now recall you did make the forest tile.
KG made a tool to view those tiles so we could check that we didn't get patterns, some simple html code to view jpgs in a mosaic..... KG, or anyone else, do you still have it ?
I dont have it, it was online html and that site is gone with Kinggeorges other stuff. Perhaps someone could make a downloadable version out of it, maybe some html guru could even do some tile viewing page for us, where you could put 6 airbase tiles together to view them as whole.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-07 05:50:09

If everyone working on the new airbase tiles would please email them to me as you complete them it will make it simpler and easier on me. That way I won't get a huge amount of files all at the same time that I have to go through and possibly rename to avoid any naming duplications. Once I have all the airbase tiles I can roll them all into the new TEXTURE.ZIP but I can be updating the texture.bin file as I go along (a little at a time as the files come into me from you guys).

My email is lod_viper1 at yahoo dot com.

Thanks
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Khronik
PMC Theater Developer

Post by Khronik » 2007-03-07 20:38:22

Ive decided to ditch the google sat images for the airbases as im concerned that there will be too many object placement issues and more testing with each new airbase would have to be done. Not to mention the fact that with so many people doing terrain art there might be too much of a difference between airbase tiles making some look out of place.

Ive maintained the same method only difference being im using the original F4 airbase ouline and editing it to better suit ODS. Heres an example..

12_30

34_16

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-07 21:53:40

Khronik,

They look very nice too, even better than the originals! They should work very, very well! Good job.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Sherlock
Lt. General

To-do list has been updated

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-09 00:58:12

The "To Do" list has been updated. See first post.

Khronik is "making hay while the sun shines" and Closter is close behind him (these guys have generated multiple sets of new airbase tiles!). Thanks guys for all your efforts at making these desert theaters look so realistic! Your efforts are valued very much!
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

kai87th

Daft question

Post by kai87th » 2007-03-09 16:26:47

I have got and red the post on how to but I think I have missed somthing
I get how to open files but how do we know what terrain to to put on what airbase? or have I just made a stupid post
As a noob this seams valid but hey who knows

Sherlock
Lt. General

Re: Daft question

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-10 01:27:42

kai87th wrote:I have got and red the post on how to but I think I have missed somthing
I get how to open files but how do we know what terrain to to put on what airbase? or have I just made a stupid post
As a noob this seams valid but hey who knows
The type of terrain you put around the airbase will depend on what type of terrain is needed around the airbase. For example, let's assume you are doing the 02_20 Airbase tiles. The only tiles required for this runway heading (02_20) are Airbase (AB) to Arable Land (AL). Look up above at the tutorial post I started. Look at the types of terrain tiles I posted in it early on (the pictures of the different types of terrain/tiles we are concerned with). The Arable Land base (source) tile filename is HARAB00F.pcx. Here is what it looks like again for reference:

You would use this tile as your "source" to copy to the exterior of one of the airbase tiles you are working on.

If you are making airbase tiles for transition to Desert then use the Desert source tile (filename is HDSRT001.pcx), if you making airbase tiles for transition to Pasture then use the Pasture source tile (filename is HSAND10F.pcx), if you are making airbase tiles for transition to Forest then use the Forest source tile (filename is HWOOD10F.pcx), etc. All the source tile pictures are posted in the tutorial above along with their filenames below them.

Please let me know if you are still confused...Thanks for asking!
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-10 07:24:04

Sherlock please send me the done airbase tiles, I need to add them in the Iran v0.2 release. Thanks.

PMC since 1984

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-10 15:01:18

Snake Man wrote:Sherlock please send me the done airbase tiles, I need to add them in the Iran v0.2 release. Thanks.
SM,
I was going to put things into the texture.bin and the texture.zip. I need the practice. Plus I have only received Closter's tiles so far.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Malc
Lt Colonel

Post by Malc » 2007-03-10 16:29:32

- AB to Forest - 1 airbase uses this terrain
I'll give this one a go... no idea how it'll turn out, but I'll give it a go.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2007-03-10 18:20:16

Ah okay in that case no worries. Yeah you can practise doing the texture stuff for sure. I'll update the ODS texture.bin when necessary and produce the tiles (unless everyone creates completely ready pcx tiles), I'll be sure to give you full rundown on the process (on some other topic, perhaps in tutorials, dunno).

Now everyone when you send the newly made tiles (or textures if you just make them as whatever name/format), email attach them to me also, send it to pmc at pmctactical dot org address.

There is no rush, but if someone has multiple sets scheduled and one or few ready, then please send what you got complete right now so they can be included in the next release.

PMC since 1984

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-10 20:47:18

Malc wrote:
- AB to Forest - 1 airbase uses this terrain
I'll give this one a go... no idea how it'll turn out, but I'll give it a go.
Got ya Malc. To Do list has been updated above.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

87th_striker
Brig. General

Post by 87th_striker » 2007-03-10 22:09:00

I need to get a photo proggie up again, so no progress yet. During this week, I'll get it started.

Khronik
PMC Theater Developer

Post by Khronik » 2007-03-10 22:25:29

I havent cut up my completed airbases yet since I was waiting to send them as one package though I send you them uncut if you like then you can format them.

Quick Question tho...

Is 26_08 AB the same as 08_26 but with an inverted axis? Im noticing in that Korea AB PDF some AB's are being noted as being the same. Do I have to flip 26_08 so it will work right since its sourced from 08_26? And if so witch axis do I flip it, HORIZONTAL or VERTICAL?

This applies to a couple that I have been assigned so if its the case i can just take the latter and flip it and make sure its using the right ODS terrain surrounding.

Khronik.

kai87th

Post by kai87th » 2007-03-10 23:26:06

ok this is my very first every go at this so please tell me if its wrong before I do more
I picked 01_19 set of tiles
and did as tutorial said (I think lol) (I had to r click the red x to show pic ?
not sure if I did this right )
oh this is HBASE3CA converted to ODS

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-11 01:26:16

Khronik wrote:I havent cut up my completed airbases yet since I was waiting to send them as one package though I send you them uncut if you like then you can format them.

Quick Question tho...

Is 26_08 AB the same as 08_26 but with an inverted axis? Im noticing in that Korea AB PDF some AB's are being noted as being the same. Do I have to flip 26_08 so it will work right since its sourced from 08_26? And if so witch axis do I flip it, HORIZONTAL or VERTICAL?

This applies to a couple that I have been assigned so if its the case i can just take the latter and flip it and make sure its using the right ODS terrain surrounding.

Khronik.
Khronik,
I am not an expert on this but going on what the Airbase PDF says the tiles are interchangable for 08_26 and 26_08. I don't think the tiles WERE meant to be flipped but that either airbase 3D model would fit on the tiles just as they are shown.

That being said, if you want to make a set for each airbase model (08_26 and 26_08) then the tiles would need to be flipped twice (I think!) . Once horizontally and then once vertically to achieve a true opposite direction.

When you are done with them then go ahead and cut them out to the tiles they need to be in. I've got my hands full just with the UI eding I am doing and updating the texture.bin/texture.zip combo of files with the new airbase tiles.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2007-03-11 01:32:50

kai87th wrote:ok this is my very first every go at this so please tell me if its wrong before I do more
I picked 01_19 set of tiles
and did as tutorial said (I think lol) (I had to r click the red x to show pic ?
not sure if I did this right )
oh this is HBASE3CA converted to ODS

@kai87th,
Can't see your pic from normal viewing forum mode. It's a red "X". But it can be looked at if anyone wants to respond to your post and click "quote". Then they can get the URL and paste it into a browser to view the tile you did.

The tile looks pretty decent. It looks like you've got the right idea. Go ahead and do the rest of the tiles for that set (01_19 AB to AL). I've assigned that set to you above in the first post. Good job! :)
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Return to “Operation Desert Storm”