Deletion Error?

Operation Desert Storm theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Biscuit

Deletion Error?

Post by Biscuit » 2002-10-13 20:55:00

Let me start by saying, "I screwed up and I oughta know better."

Recently I needed to delete and then reload my entire Microprose directory. That means deleteing F4, SP3, 1.08patch, ODS and the Balkan Theatre.

I deleted everything properly except for ODS. ODS I simply deleted from the drives directory tree. I know, i know it was a dumb thing to do. I should have used the ODS instal wizard to delete it or the remove software function of Win98's control panel. Whoops.

My problem is that now that I want to reload ODS the ODS instal wizard is convinced that ODS is already loaded; I assure you it is not. When I click on the ODS instal icon it starts up OK but then I get an error message saying "D:\Microprose\Falcon4\ODS is not in the default directory. Would you like to select another directory?" If I click on Yes
it allows me to select another directory, but as there IS no ODS on my comp this is of no help. If I click on "No" it takes me back to the desktop.

If I use the Add/Remove Software utility found in the Win98 control panel, it lists ODS as an installed program (let me reiterate, it is not installed).

Clearly, the comp is convinced I have ODS. I have searched the registry looking for a reference to ODS and found nothing. I need to delete something in order to be able to reload ODS.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
Charles

Vlamgat
Recruit

Re: Deletion Error?

Post by Vlamgat » 2002-10-14 12:25:00

Howzit

Try the following:

# Right click your screen to get to Display Properties, select Folder Options and under Hidden Files, enable Show all Files.

# Open Windows Explorer, expand Program Files and InstallShield Installation Information.

# Find the folder for ODS installation and delete it. (That's the folder in which you have the blue install icon which, if you click on it, starts the ODS installer, you know, the inflight refuelling scene). On my machine, it's numbered:
6B79B2CO-F220-11DA4-976B-D952D4D65E47

I think...

Vlammie

shaunman
2nd Lt

Post by shaunman » 2002-10-14 17:44:00

have you read the book "vlamgat" its quite good. its about the mirage F1 and how it was used in angola mozambique and namibia.

Vlamgat
Recruit

Post by Vlamgat » 2002-10-15 04:00:00

Howzit Shaunman

No haven't read it but will try to get a hand on the book; sounds interesting. I knew one or two vlamgat pilots during the war but lost contact with them. Maybe their stories are in the book?

Vlammie

Butcher_ss
Colonel

Post by Butcher_ss » 2002-10-15 17:06:00

quote:Originally posted by Biscuit:
Let me start by saying, "I screwed up and I oughta know better."

Recently I needed to delete and then reload my entire Microprose directory. That means deleteing F4, SP3, 1.08patch, ODS and the Balkan Theatre.

I deleted everything properly except for ODS. ODS I simply deleted from the drives directory tree. I know, i know it was a dumb thing to do. I should have used the ODS instal wizard to delete it or the remove software function of Win98's control panel. Whoops.

My problem is that now that I want to reload ODS the ODS instal wizard is convinced that ODS is already loaded; I assure you it is not. When I click on the ODS instal icon it starts up OK but then I get an error message saying "D:\Microprose\Falcon4\ODS is not in the default directory. Would you like to select another directory?" If I click on Yes
it allows me to select another directory, but as there IS no ODS on my comp this is of no help. If I click on "No" it takes me back to the desktop.

If I use the Add/Remove Software utility found in the Win98 control panel, it lists ODS as an installed program (let me reiterate, it is not installed).

Clearly, the comp is convinced I have ODS. I have searched the registry looking for a reference to ODS and found nothing. I need to delete something in order to be able to reload ODS.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
Charles
The only thing that I can think of is the rgistry but you say that there is nothing appearing anywhere. However there must be something left somewhere because what you are saying suggests that the computer is detecting somethingbut you cannot find it. I don't know what is the problem exactly but keep trying and searching. Try re-installing Windows if it is not too much trouble!!

Butcher_ss
Butcher_ss.

shaunman
2nd Lt

Post by shaunman » 2002-10-15 17:27:00

im not sure what the pilots name is but he later went on to fly skyhawks and f4s in pensicola after he left SAAF.

shaunman
2nd Lt

Post by shaunman » 2002-10-15 17:54:00

the book is by dick lord
you can take a look at it on amazon i think.

Butcher_ss
Colonel

Post by Butcher_ss » 2002-10-18 11:40:00

quote:Originally posted by shaunman:
the book is by dick lord
you can take a look at it on amazon i think.
Why are you guys talking for books. you are obviously wondering about Vlamgat's name but you keep talking about the book.

Butcher_ss.
Butcher_ss.

Butcher_ss
Colonel

Post by Butcher_ss » 2002-10-18 11:41:00

quote:Originally posted by Vlamgat:
Howzit Shaunman

No haven't read it but will try to get a hand on the book; sounds interesting. I knew one or two vlamgat pilots during the war but lost contact with them. Maybe their stories are in the book?

Vlammie
What are Vlamgat pilots? You keep mentioning it but I have no clue what this is.

Butcher_ss.
Butcher_ss.

shaunman
2nd Lt

Post by shaunman » 2002-10-18 20:15:00

vlamgat(flame ass) was the nick south african airforce pilots gave the mirage F1 AZ through CZ planes because of the size of its afterburner.

Vlamgat
Recruit

Post by Vlamgat » 2002-10-19 11:11:00

e-mail received from Biscuit:

Vlamgat:

Thanks Dude! Your suggestion worked perfectly. I appreiciate the help.

Biscuit

Vlammie

Butcher_ss
Colonel

Post by Butcher_ss » 2002-10-19 15:08:00

quote:Originally posted by shaunman:
vlamgat(flame ass) was the nick south african airforce pilots gave the mirage F1 AZ through CZ planes because of the size of its afterburner.
Now I see. That's why Vlamgat got his name from that since he is from South Africa.

butcher_ss
Butcher_ss.

Butcher_ss
Colonel

Post by Butcher_ss » 2002-10-19 16:11:00

quote:Originally posted by Vlamgat:
e-mail received from Biscuit:

Vlamgat:

Thanks Dude! Your suggestion worked perfectly. I appreiciate the help.

Biscuit

Vlammie

So I guess that Biscuit's problem is solved right??

Butcher_ss
Butcher_ss.

Return to “Operation Desert Storm”