Vietnam sitrep for SP

Vietnam theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Vietnam sitrep for SP

Post by Snake Man » 2002-07-22 16:14:00

Vietnam Theater for SP
http://www.pmctactical.org/f4/vietnam.php

Terrain is now tiled with the ComGP made forest and ricepaddy tiles, my own made copy-paste-erase tool crap. It looks lame at the moment, but it was very quick work and it will be improved in time. Its just a start.

UI is still incomplete. Theater switch art is in place, thats about it.

Campaign objectives are done, teams are set. Lot of air defense units for North Vietnam. If you ever needed to dodge SAMs, this is the place.

Stay tuned...

PMC TFW
Snake Man
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Guard
Recruit

Re: Vietnam sitrep for SP

Post by Guard » 2002-07-22 17:06:00

Sounds good!But just one thing... when will it be out? :p
Regards, Guard
FreeBirds & 331VFS
------------------
"Once Airborn Always Airborn"

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2002-07-22 17:11:00

great. :D

any UI shots?

OOB generated? be sure to have UH-1, AH-1, MD500/OH6, and CH47 flying everywhere!!

Vnam theater will need new units, VC, NVA, etc. much less mechanized.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2002-07-22 20:40:00

quote:Originally posted by ccc:
any UI shots?
No as the only UI at the moment ingame is theater switcher art. I know there is campaign buttons somewhere in my drive but I don't remember having main background UI yet. Will have to check that out tonight.
quote:OOB generated?
Collecting info, found good stuff on Brewskies post and Chance's web site about squadrons. Also I gotta look up the Vietnam airbase list status so that we have correct bases for those squadrons.
quote:UH-1, AH-1, MD500/OH6, and CH47 flying everywhere!!
Yeah I'll try to place those next to the FLOT so they get some flight time.
quote:Vnam theater will need new units, VC, NVA, etc. much less mechanized.
Any suggestions of hot to make this happen?

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

87th_striker
Brig. General

Post by 87th_striker » 2002-07-22 21:07:00

Yeah, let's start attacking those loooong bike coloumns, elephants(?)...There was a lot of trucks, wasn't it ?

icebrain
1st Lt

Post by icebrain » 2002-07-22 21:36:00

You need to get the SP database guys to create new units for you... with NVA/VC force levels. Could probably also use a couple units of just 3-4 infantry squads, and maybe an SA-7 (also good for Afghanistan or as specops?). Then you just edit the TEunits.lst file, and add the new units in tacedit.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2002-07-23 02:40:00

Very very work in progress shots from Vietnam. This really shows you guys who badly we need tile artists to help out making new texture/tiles. Anyways, though you wanted to take a peek while waiting for release...

Please do not post this link to anywhere else, its just for our forum visitors.

obsolete link

Just something to show where we are going...

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2002-07-23 03:09:00

:D

Not bad. just need tile artists :D

BTW i'll send you some skins..for phantom drop tanks.

and dont forget to add more FLAK.
AFAIK, NVA got no SA7 right?

brewskie
Lt Colonel

Post by brewskie » 2002-07-23 16:31:00

Well, maybe i'm partial to the old nam we made, but i always liked the mix of terrain we had. I've said this too many times, but i like the dirt roads and the 600 or is it 620 series tiles sets? What needs improvement is more huts instead of buildings. The Ho trail and mu gai pass areas looked perfect with the 600 series tile sets. Now we will need some aerial photos of Siagon. http://www.c-7acaribou.com/album/jsphotos/js195.htm
http://www.c-7acaribou.com/album/jsphotos/js072.htm http://members.dynasty.net/lauray/pleiku.htm
Central Highlands, as you can see F4's tile set is pretty good at matching the terrain
Village http://www.petester.com/html/VNPICS064.html http://www.petester.com/html/VNPICS061.html
Terrain at An Khe http://www.petester.com/html/VNPICS004.html
Terrain near Pleiku http://www.petester.com/html/VNPICS011.html

homepages http://www.c-7acaribou.com/album/album.htm
http://www.petester.com/html/vnpics.html#other[/URL][/url]

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2002-07-23 21:24:00

Brewskie hey good aerial image! Can you find me more of those, they would come real handy when making tiles?

Update #2

Vietnam Theater package comes along pretty nice...

Now we have campaign basic squadrons set, basic few ground (nonhistorical) units placed like infantry M-16, AK-47, some T-55 tanks for NVA.

I created fictional present day campaign also with all the goodies from SP3. But somehow I feel that does this fictional additional vietnam theater (in the theater switcher menu) somehow dimish the Historical Vietnam value? The additional campaign is just so easy to do, I could not resists and actually I remember someone saying they would like to see Fictional China Attacks Vietnam scenario...

Those historical skins are applied to the aircrafts, please if you have any more skins send it to CCC.

Historical Vietnam loadout tweaks has begun! Yeah I received first nam loadout from CCC today and it worked nicely. No more fancy missiles and high tech stuff.

User Interface (UI) images are installed and once again very nice artwork from Terry.

Now this theater is definitely at BETA stage.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2002-07-24 06:22:00

I've invited Nam stuff expert Jim to help loadout edits.
http://users.compuzone.net/jimg/flightsimpage.html http://users.compuzone.net/jimg/AirwaroverNVN.html

I just test-fly my rough loadout edits, the pk of missile is tuned down, more WVR combat, more fit to vnam style. test mix-up of 4-8 F4 vs 4-8 mig21, ok, exchange rate around 1:2 to 1:4

there still the bug-- gun can't hit anything in very close range. so the most exciting part still need some tweak.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2002-07-26 04:28:00

Update #3

Pretty slow the last couple of days, pretty much have been tingering with the campaign now. Mostly drawing links which are progressing quite nicely. You know, links are essential for ground unit movement and somehow the relate to the air (to ground) war too.

No other serious database edits have been done since the CCC's first test loadouts. We are planning on the best way to produce the historical war loadouts.

We are looking for possibilities to improve the textures, but nothing has completed as of yet. Hopefully we can bring some real nice new tiles in, better than the ones in the screenshots. Still if there is anyone who can use paintshoppro or photoshop (or any other paint program) please contact us.

So far good comments on the basic installer from our dedicated BETA Dude Widomaker.

Slow progress this time, but we are doing progess and its not like we're in hurry as it was just recentlty that ODS got out.

Back to work ;)

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

icebrain
1st Lt

Post by icebrain » 2002-07-26 12:57:00

quote:Originally posted by Snake Man:
I created fictional present day campaign also with all the goodies from SP3. But somehow I feel that does this fictional additional vietnam theater (in the theater switcher menu) somehow dimish the Historical Vietnam value? The additional campaign is just so easy to do, I could not resists and actually I remember someone saying they would like to see Fictional China Attacks Vietnam scenario...

What campaigns are there now? I was thinking it would be a good idea to try and model 3 different phases of the war-- 65-68 maybe, then 68-71 or so, and then linebacker 2.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2002-07-29 13:45:00

Update #4

All links between the objectives are now done! Maaan it took me like a week to do this, well at least almost.
Just to remind everybody, links are the paths the ground units use for movement. They also somehow effect the air to ground war too.

Thats about it, but links are the backbone of working campaign so consider me very happy that they are now complete :D

Day after day we are getting closer to the public beta of Vietnam.

No... no dates are set yet. We want some improved tiles to go along with the first version.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

Golf33

Post by Golf33 » 2002-07-31 01:07:00

Fellas,

this sounds great! I got a couple of questions though:

1. Is the FAC role likely to work correctly in this theatre? I know Scoob was able to make it work pretty well in his v4 campaigns for RP5, but I don't know if the same knowledge exists in SP3.

2. Is there anything I can do to help? I have photoshop and could maybe help paint the odd tile, or if someone has the time to answer incessant questions about how things work, I could probably do some of the other tasks; I also have a bit of knowledge from my time in artillery as to how CAS and FAC should operate to be realistic.

Cheers

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2002-07-31 04:43:00

quote:Originally posted by Golf33:
1. Is the FAC role likely to work correctly in this theatre?
This theater should work the same as all my other theaters. For example the PMC Korea Campaigns you can download from the DL page. So far I have no specific knowledge of FAC operation in SP3.
quote:2. Is there anything I can do to help?
I don't know, is there anything you can do? :)
quote:I have photoshop and could maybe help paint the odd tile,
Well all the help in tiling department would be extremely welcome.
quote:or if someone has the time to answer incessant questions about how things work,
That would be me... and yes, I have the time.
quote:how CAS and FAC should operate to be realistic.
Yes we could work on that. I just don't know where to begin.

Anyways to cut the chit chat and get on with it, I'd suggest for tile making you first check out our texture tutorial at
http://www.pmctactical.org/f4/docs/texture.php

I think it was that, can be found on the tutorial menu. After that if all looks good, you could contact me (contact link bottom of this page) about the fine details and to get you the existing Vietnam (lame) tile-set to check if any of those tiles can be improved by you.

Thanks for offering to help, these theaters don't build by themselves you know ;)

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2002-07-31 08:26:00

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Snake Man:
theaters don't build by themselves you know :D

Golf33

Post by Golf33 » 2002-07-31 12:16:00

Snake,

I don't fully understand the tutorial at the moment but that won't stop me for long. Am I right in thinking that the sets of 16 tiles are held in single 512x512 8-bit PCX files (for 128x128 tiles) and in single 2048x2048 8-bit PCX files (for 512x512 tiles)?

I also don't quite follow the naming convention for direction, but I'll figure it out easy enough. I'm pretty sure I can fix tiles so they match up along the edges ok, also.

My email is claudandsteveXX@XXozemail.com.au (remove the "XX"s), ICQ 123531525 and MSN golf33_@hotmail.com

When you say you don't know where to start with FAC flights, do you mean in terms of how they *should* work or in terms of how to make them happen in Falcon?

I will d/l the PMC Korea campaigns and see if I can get FAC flights working there.

Regards

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2002-08-02 02:28:00

Update #5

Database editing continues and there is now edited loadouts for Vietnam aircrafts, limiting the weapons for historical stuff only. It will definitely give more personal feeling for the theater when you cannot select that favourite high-tech toy anymore.

Secondly its very important that the installer now automatically handles the theater specific skins and new database. This method is good because the new DB included is hardly showing in the installer size and user has to do absolutely no other selections or anything to get it running. It will be automatically installed with the theater, no fuzz.

I tried to make the new database edits as accurate as possible but there will be corrections to be made, its good start I'd say. Hopefully all history buffs jump on it helping us with correct information when the public beta gets out. Additional DB updates take only few kilobytes so the download size is not an issue.

Historical Vietnam War campaign is still bit under work, I'm not happy for example the B-52 squadron placements. For example what airbases had buffs and how many, what are the squadron names, which airbases are on the theater area etc. I did some brief look around the web but didn't find anything useful so far. North Vietnam air defenses especially from Hanoi to the coast are extremely heavy, not a healthy place for US aircrafts.

The fictional present day campaign seems to pick up lot of activity, it remains to be seen how well it plays eventually. This present day campaign is fought with SP3 hardware and it involves South Vietnam/US vs North Vietnam/China. No real storyline or details are created.

Thats the update for Vietnam v0.8 BETA at the moment. The day of the public beta release is very near now because there is not much we can fix anymore unless we spend lot more time with it. We need now some rough testing that everything works, then we need the testing from you guys to bring out all the fine details which there is to fix.

No dates for release, but very very soon.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2002-08-04 02:30:00

Update #6

Did some edits to the road and river tiles, now they look somewhat better (the background at least). However do not expect anything nice.

Did some final adjustments for the database, still seems that the campaign ATO is not tasking BARCAP flights with correct A2A loadout, F-4E gets only 2 missiles, huh. Also removed the unfinished aircrafts from the campaign like F105.

Installer polishing, several compiles and several uninstall/install routines to check that everything runs smoothly.

Flew few strike missions to get rough idea of the new theater... feeling was that a) north vietnamese has good air defenses. b) or I suck :)

Many things are broken in this version, like the tiles looking bad, some work to be done in the database, ground units seems to be quite stationary etc... however its a nice package, no CTD's detected in my thorough 2 mission test phase (heh sorry) and day 9 time 64x 2d run. All in all Vietnam Theater v0.8 is now ready for BETA release.

Expect public beta release within 24hrs...

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984