Vietnam Addon

Vietnam theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Vietnam Addon

Post by Guest » 2000-08-01 19:48:00

Well, what do you think about the "beta 1" screenshot, would that map region would be good for 'Nam operations?

PMC TFW,
Snake Man.

Re: Vietnam Addon

Post by Guest » 2000-08-01 20:52:00

Snake,

Is there any way to get the "complete" map for use? I notice that the Mekong Delta is almost missing in the south and the far north is also cut off??

Post by Guest » 2000-08-01 20:56:00

I guess one other thing?????

What are the odds you 'll ever be able to create new 3D objects for F4. The THUD would be an AWESOME addition, as would the A-4! And a few others.

Along with that...maybe research into our ability, currently, to fly Helo's!!! Get this working, and we the "Nam theater comes alive!!!

Just thoughts???

Later...

Post by Guest » 2000-08-02 07:32:00

The map size is unfortunately that 10 by 10 degrees, but supposedly the theater.map file contains the map size parameters. Segment sizes should be 8 x 8, 16 x 16, 32 x 32, 64 x 64 (current falcon), 128 x 128 and even 256 x 256... Thats what I was told.
I know, its too bad that at this moment we cannot fit the whole Vietnam to the theater.

3D objects in the game, like aircrafts. Well someone I think it was in delphi, stated that he modified the 3d models. So creation of new models should be possible too I think.
Yes it would be very cool to get Thuds in the Vietnam theater.

Unfurtunately, helos arent flyable which is shame. Would have been cool to drop and pickup troops with Huey :)

PMC TFW,
Snake Man.

Post by Guest » 2000-08-06 06:40:00

Phuff! Another night of tiling, now the Vietnam coast from Da Nang to Haiphong (almost to china) is tiled.

We will post some screenshots soon.

PMC TFW,
Snake Man.

Post by Guest » 2000-08-08 22:47:00

Vietnam Coast is tiled.

From bottom south, to the China border (and beyond, but china coast not completely tiled yet).

Now tiling the North Vietnam... Hanoi, Haiphong.

When this major tiling is done, then its to create first TE missions to really start to fly the Vietnam scenery. Right now my tests have all be done from instant action (flying F-16:) where lot of objects are in the water & weird places.

Looking good! :)

PMC TFW,
Snake Man.

Post by Guest » 2000-08-09 16:26:00

Snake_Man, are you interrested in a map that show the vegetation coverage of vietnam ? 1 Km per pixel, datas from 1992 but could be used as a base for rice and jungle disposition.

YLR

Post by Guest » 2000-08-09 20:47:00

Sure, gimme the link or if its your image, sent it to nospam. Thanks.

PMC TFW,
Snake Man.

Post by Guest » 2000-08-20 02:35:00

That picture we put on the Vietnam addon page, its F-4 flying in heavy AAA fire over the city of Hanoi.

Expect more screenshots "in-game" from Vietnam terrain very soon.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-08-20 13:55:00

Snake Man, Your nam theater is advancing veery fast! How many tiler working on Nam? Any VC join your team? :D
BTW, i found a USN f4 skin on Warlock's skin page, maybe you can use it in Nam.
and, some vietnam photos show that river(forget its name, pass thru Honai) looks turbid yellow. I think this could be a characteric feature in this theater.

Post by Guest » 2000-08-20 15:12:00

> Snake Man, Your nam theater is advancing
> veery fast!

Is it? I'm lazy tiler :)

> How many tiler working on Nam? Any VC join

One, me.

> BTW, i found a USN f4 skin on Warlock's > skin page, maybe you can use it in Nam.

Hmm can you give me the link for Warlock's page please?
I remember my screenshots were taken by using the JimG F-4 Phantom skin "NamPhantom.zip".

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-08-21 00:07:00

members.xoom.com\warlock0\skin.htm

err..only ONE tiler? that's indeed ambitious project for one tiler!!
For my small theater, im consider recruiting some tiler to speed up tiling work, maybe form an egroup?

Post by Guest » 2000-08-21 05:51:00

Thanks for the link.

btw anyone know the F-4 Phantom variant used in the Vietnam War, the Lil John (?) who made the Mig-29 Cockpit is interested of doing Phantom too. That would be great for our Vietnam terrain.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-08-21 06:08:00

Its now monday, its time to start real push for tiling & object placement work on Vietnam terrain.

So guys, keep those target/airbase/etc locations coming, if you can supply me with lat/long coodinates that would be superb. Also I'm very interested of actual war time aerial photographs of historic airbases etc.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-08-21 09:54:00

Snake Man,
check JimG's site

http://users.compuzone.net/jimg/flightsimpage.html

He's quite good at Vietnam airwar, the creator of famous Nam lib for Fighter anthology.

Post by Guest » 2000-08-21 12:03:00

Well, I'm here, and ready to start work just as soon as I can.

I've just recently been contacted by an artist who specializes in the 3d cockpit, it looks like he and I are going to team up, me doing the hex work and technical stuff, him doing the textures. The results should be fantastic!

Anyway, I look forward to working with you soon.

Brian ("Lil John")

Post by Guest » 2000-08-21 12:13:00

It appears we can choose from the C, D, or E models. It really depends on what timeframe we are simulating here.
Check out that website posted earler about the Airwar in Vietnam to see what I mean.

Brian

Post by Guest » 2000-08-21 18:27:00

E model sounds Great!
Though that 3D model looks closer to C or D.

Post by Guest » 2000-08-22 02:44:00

Hi Snake Man
http://www.f4alliance.com/index2.html

Did you visit their site?
They r working on new 3D shapes!

Post by Guest » 2000-08-22 12:30:00

Ok, I just got word on another mailing list that the only USAF versions to see service during the war were the C & D...

Brian

Post by Guest » 2000-08-22 12:53:00

I was talking to JimG and he stated that the realism point of view (thats what we want) only correct Phantom variation is E.

So I guess our "official" Vietnam plane is F-4E.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-08-23 01:59:00

ya ya, E is good.
but include USN B :)
and more options like C, D sounds better.
I really hope Julian or F4 alliance could hack 3D things, then builb detailed phantom, at least add a vulcan on its chin.

Post by Guest » 2000-08-23 05:56:00

Since monday, 65 new segments tiled. Gotta keep this pace up ;)

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-08-23 20:15:00

Just wanted to say that F4A is coming a long ways on 3d models, so updated models may not be that far off :)

Brian

Post by Guest » 2000-08-28 10:32:00

I wanted to post some tiling progress info here.

Since 08-21-2000 I've tiled now (08-28-2000) excatly 100 new segments.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-08-29 01:12:00

good enough to post some screenshot!

Post by Guest » 2000-08-31 05:04:00

Guys tell me what you think of these "trees" texture screenshots (150kb).

http://www.pmctactical.org/f4/screenshots/trees1.jpg
http://www.pmctactical.org/f4/screenshots/trees2.jpg

They are tiled on high grounds, above the forest tiles. Its pretty boring looking to me, there is only one tile for the "center" mass of the trees...

Comments are more than welcome.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-08-31 10:06:00

Ah ha! Snake Man, finally you encounter this problem like me.
IMHO, two way to solve it:
1. new tiles, if you want to build some.
2.Dont limit your tiling to specific types, apply some other tile types. just like what i do.

Post by Guest » 2000-09-05 03:03:00

Seems that I cannot find single piece of working installer for Vietnam Addon, so there is possibility to release it in zip format where user needs to do few things manually. At this point it would be like this:

1) copy falcondir\terrdata\korea to falcondir\terrdata\Vietnam
2) unzip Vietnam.zip to falcondir
3) double click on the Vietnamregistry.reg file.
4) run tinstall.exe falcondir\terrdata\Vietnam
5) run TSwitch.exe to select Vietnam

Done.

Hmmm, what do you think guys... will that be too difficult for F4 Community to handle?

PMC TFW
Snake Man

Post by Guest » 2000-09-05 04:21:00

NO Man,
im quite familiar with that :D

After f4 fans completing Falkland install, they should be familiar with the procedure too.

BTW, check this, Tom launder seems hot on Vnam theater too.
http://www.jps.net/tomldr/fvfhqwk082800ib3.htm

Post by Guest » 2000-09-05 14:46:00

snakeman, as long as the directions for installation are detailed(idiot proof) I don't think you'll many complaints. I think forum members including myself would be willing to beta test if you wish.

Post by Guest » 2000-09-05 19:28:00

Testing of the installation package is good idea, I'll let you know when it would be ready to test.

PMC TFW
Snake Man