Daily thunderbumpers in SEA

Vietnam theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Daily thunderbumpers in SEA

Post by Guest » 2000-10-28 02:25:00

Much of the material I've read on weather conditions in SEA during the war emphasized an obscuring haze and daily buildup of thunderstorms over South East Asia. Neither FA nor jUSAF (nor Spectrum holobyte's FOTI) portrayed this very well. Forgive my ignorance, I'm just now transitioning to F4 from jUSAF; and am wondering if anyone has given any thought to accurate portrayal of the weather in theatre?
Naval Aviators and USAF Pilots turned Author have commented on it repeatedly, guys who'd been there, like Jack Broughton, Mark Berent,John Trotti, and Stephen Coonts all remarked on it.
Here's a quote from Broughton's "Going Downtown"

"Then there are the thunderstorms. They are the tallest blackest and roughest storms that nature generates. They boil and bubble and bang into each other all day and all night... ...I've been pushing 40,000 feet in a clean Thud and been looking way up above me at still-billowing tops... Penetrating a big one in a flight of four, loaded with bombs, stuffed with fuel, and covered with ice is a
thrill for the leader. It gets even more thrilling if your a wingman and it gets so thick that you watch that pinpoint of colored light (leader's wingtip light) fade to nothing. You've been flying by visual refernece on your leader and you have no idea where you are... You don't know where anyone else is, except that they're only a few feet away. You don't dare break formation, and you can't get in any closer, so what can you do? Hang in there, baby, and breathe slowly.

Re: Daily thunderbumpers in SEA

Post by Guest » 2000-10-28 03:10:00

F4 does have low cloud cover which i believe can be adjusted to generate more of this affect. As of yet i have not seen dense clouds at altitude. It's a good point and weather accuracy will increase the realism.

Post by Guest » 2000-10-29 01:56:00

Yeah. The haze on a humid day over Laos makes the LA basin look crystal clear. Broughton described it like flying in a bowl of milk.

Post by Guest » 2000-10-29 01:58:00

Apparently everyone over there burns grass, dung, and anything wood for heat and cooking.

Post by Guest » 2000-10-29 02:39:00

Hamm, I recently bought a Discovery Channel video "Wings A-4 Skyhawk." Excellent tape about Yankee Station with the Saints commanded by Bryan Compton. You might want to check it out. Hornit might be interested too.