F4 Spain theater news on FW

Terrain / Theater editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

ccc
Chief of Staff

F4 Spain theater news on FW

Post by ccc » 2008-12-01 08:02:05

http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/show ... p?t=135389

the terrain seems to be SRTM, right? i'm still downloading..

great job.

btw..just curious what's the story for campaign..this area seems quite peaceful for long time.
i saw the map covering Spain, Protugee, Morocco, and Algeria..maybe UK and CIS could join the game. :mrgreen:

http://www.scramble.nl/dz.htm
Alegria seems to be main red side.. owns su30/24, mig23/25/29! probably the main potential threat to blue side?

ccc
Chief of Staff

Re: F4 Spain theater news on FW

Post by ccc » 2008-12-01 15:24:59

the mod POH is a 346mb zip. once installed, the POH folder in RV is 3.18GB :shock:

it contains its own objective folder for further edits. and a terradata folder accounts for 2.25GB - new tiles.

install process took me more than 30min, for tile processing, normal fix, and SRTM terrain processing.

when i enter sim, check theater selection page, i found three new theater mods - POH1, POH2, and POH3.. no working campaign yet. i tried to create a TE for terrain sight-seeing in each mod, all mods do not show the fight i added. :?:

As the manual is written in spanish, i dunno how to check it with a customed TE yet.

i_hawk
2nd Lt

Post by i_hawk » 2008-12-01 15:38:15

CCC take a look at terrain folder alone... L0 file alone weights ~300MB, and indeed the textures are pretty large, but it does look nice :)

BTW just wondering... why do we still keep that zipped texture files for all theaters? it contains the old .PCX files, and AFAIK this aren't used in sim anyway, right?
G-byte Nforce3 ultra,AMD 64 bit 3000+ 939 OC'ed to 2.25GHz, 1024MB 400 MHz CL 2.5 on dual channel , RADEON 9800 pro

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2008-12-01 15:44:46

As the manual is written in spanish, i dunno how to check it with a customed TE yet.
OK - i figure it out.

in TE, all airbases are labeled in RED color! so, tick on the nationa flag on menu bar, select RED/ DPRK, add a flight of ac, save. thne back to TE selecton menu, select this customed TE. to fly red side ac, again tick on the DPRK flag at right upper hand area, the hit commit, enter TE map page, click [fly] and you are in.

terrain looks cool, it's SRTM. in RV, the terrain will show more polygon or elevation data as you getting closer, and inevitably some slopes or flat hills will pop up and disappear due to data loading/unloading. when i riding a F-22 at low altitude, speed over 600kt, i noted a slight terrain loading hiccup, then, when i transit from hills to a desert area, it CTDs. probably due to memory leak or overflow or tile/terrain data loading/unloading issue. i also fly over Gibraltar strait in F-22, heheh just tens seconds and i am over Morrco, north africa! :mrgreen:

the small map used for 2d occpupation view looks a bit "granular", due to overlying roads and river lines.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2008-12-01 15:52:55

CCC take a look at terrain folder alone... L0 file alone weights ~300MB, and indeed the textures are pretty large, but it does look nice :)
yeah i saw it.. still checking here and there..got some CTDs in the process.
terrain tiles..do they use larger tiles? i noted some tile types need better tranistion tiles, like the one you posted on FW, hill-desert transition. even so, the terrain looks great - i mean supercrusing over north africa heheh :mrgreen:
BTW just wondering... why do we still keep that zipped texture files for all theaters? it contains the old .PCX files, and AFAIK this aren't used in sim anyway, right?
maybe SM or Fred can tell.

BTW..As this mod is in early beta stage, imho SRTM terrain could be set as a stand-alone option. just slim down the dev package and install time for dev convinence.

Malc
Lt Colonel

Post by Malc » 2008-12-02 17:36:33

ccc wrote:
terrain looks cool, it's SRTM. in RV, the terrain will show more polygon or elevation data as you getting closer, and inevitably some slopes or flat hills will pop up and disappear due to data loading/unloading.
I tried to fix this popping, or at least minimize it, with T-Rex to no avail... he got someone else involved from RV team but if it worked or not I don't know.

Fingers crossed RV2/FF5 has SRTM Korea with no popping!

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2008-12-03 01:31:03

i am afraid this issue needs much more time to solve.

Malc
Lt Colonel

Post by Malc » 2008-12-03 08:17:07

ccc wrote:
i am afraid this issue needs much more time to solve.
I dunno... we had some success, especially when the terrain processor was used then the -G switch was added to startup and the terrain detail pushed out to 11 or 12 in Setup.

To get rid of it entirely, I suppose a whole new terrain engine is needed :(

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2008-12-03 08:57:32

To get rid of it entirely, I suppose a whole new terrain engine is needed :(
yeah.. but a new terrain may need more code work on ground war/ground unit action.
last time i flying SRTM-korea and SRTM-israel, i noted some ground units disappear when i fly-by... it seems some vehicles are moving on a lower layer of SRTM terrain, while im viewing a higher layer of terrain. ( the high/low means the elevation of terrain). As current terrain engine using SRTM in a poping style, ground units could be masked by a higher layer of terran(tile).. fog of war :evil:

Closter
Captain

Post by Closter » 2008-12-03 17:17:27

Perhaps the coders could blend areas where the popping is about to kick in. I say, make the 3d engine render both and paint them with a degree of transparency, the higher Lx level increasing transparency and the lower Lx level decreasing transparency as we approach them. :idea:

Il2 makes something similar for the terrain textures as far as I can understand. It is only a matter of translate it to LODs.

Return to “Terrain / Theater”