Old limitations still there with OF?

Terrain / Theater editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

crossup
Recruit

Old limitations still there with OF?

Post by crossup » 2008-01-30 02:12:12

I see lots of talk of using sat images for tiles etc...but several years ago my attempts at such were limited to IRC either 2048 or 4096 unique tiles(give or take a few) which were too few to tile anything except the smallest islands...
also there were a good many restrictions on the palette used...
so my question is have any of these limitations been changed in Open Falcon?

Sherlock
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Sherlock » 2008-01-30 04:24:50

Welcome back crossup!

As far as we know, the limitation is 256 sets of 16 tiles (4,096) but Fred Balding says the limitation may have been the tools (TerrainView, etc.) and not the Falcon exe. No one really knows because no one has tried it that we know of.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

crossup
Recruit

Post by crossup » 2008-01-30 05:17:48

Well I exceeded the limit by at least a factor of 2 during my tests and while there where anomolies, I think most were fartiles issues and basically having unique tiles worked fine, athought tiles beyond the "limit" were ignored IRC
I have a tool that Fabrice(CATE) made for me to allows me "auto" place tiles sequentially so once tiles are made, placement is easy. I also made and modified the tiles used for my test from a FLY!2 tilemaker which uses some VERY clever routines to fake nearly non repetitve terrain from geodata and basic textures. Very organic -which leads to another problem: curved roads

Return to “Terrain / Theater”