Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

derStef
Banned user
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Terrains

Need .TRI support! please!

Post by derStef » 2008-01-24 10:17:43

Hello everybody!
as you might know, i'm still working on PMC Taiwan theater campaign mods!
campaign is nearly finished now. But there are issues that has definitive something to do with the .tri file...

ALL i NEED NOW IS A WORKING .TRI FILE FOR IT!

i'm not able to make one? i have no scripting experience, sorry. :oops:
the tutorials haven't helped me.

So please, is there somebody who can write one for me?? or help me out????

THANKS TO ALL! Cheers

Stef

Closter
Captain

Post by Closter » 2008-01-25 20:44:23

I don't have experience with tri files, but, to me, they seem like scripts that are evaluated in a continous loop through the duration of the campaign, except for the inialisation chapter.

In my view, the events are only flags, you can fire an event but you must do something more for the event having a meaning. For example, you can write an event for the case that current aircraft numbers being equal, that trigger that the initiative trespasses from attacker to defender. Or you can force a counterattack if the capital is being seized (e.g some key objectives near city are taken by the invader, then defender goes to the offensive, and that same objectives are pri increased.

I think that is the way of making the trigger file work. The way it is now in Taiwan, it only ends campaign after a certain number of hours IIRC.

The events can trace a path for the progressing of the army if you put the conditions for this as a bigger priority or bigger initiative or something else.

If the situation gets static, you could control this with an event that change the supply levels, or the coming of another country into the war

This trigger files could change a campaign in the sense of allowing to exploit success: if the army gets deeper in enemy territory through right wing, then increase priority for the right wing objectives (e.g. main cities) and decrease it for those in the left wing.

From the wiki I understand for a given objective there is the priority from the cam and the scripted_priority that you can change from the tri, or perhaps they are the same and you only flag but use the same variable... I don't know, anyway you can change it

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2008-01-26 02:18:42

tri files are already working - tho not act in the way you want.

check tri files in default MPS korea campaigns, the save0,1,2.tri. you'll find they all look similar. read PMC tri tut, you'll learn more - and find there's not much room for tweaking.

the tri file won't dominate the progress of campaign..it's the force ratio and a working road network making the war rolling.

the tri file edits can do..

1.initialize the war - define who start attack first-offensive( or defensive first).
2.play moive - once some event happen, play movie.
3.switch initiative(change offensive-defensive posture) - when some obj being captured, or force ratio changed, make one side become more offensive or defensive. the value of initiative(offensive or defensive)..take many factors into consideration..
4. combine two teams - like china or russia or japan join the war.
5. end war - conditions to end the war.

After checking all existing tri files - i can say that.. tri file edit is simple BUT.. it can't do everything.

Return to “Terrain / Theater”