F4 Tiling Standards-Transition Numbering Reference Sheet

Terrain / Theater editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Polak
Captain

F4 Tiling Standards-Transition Numbering Reference Sheet

Post by Polak » 2007-07-22 11:38:59

Sometime ago, I have encountered on (IIRC MadDog McEwan's combat360 site) this layout called "F4 Tiling Standards-Transition Numbering Reference Sheet". I was wondering if it is some kind of STILL current standard of tiles configuration or other configurations are common?

Looking at the chart I recognise and visualise how "0" through "b" might be working. But I fail to to the same with "c, d, e, f" as well as later "r through "v" which I see just as counterparts of those earlier (only rotated 45deg). Are those perhaps suitable for roads and rivers?

Last edited by Polak on 2007-07-29 00:38:37, edited 1 time in total.

Zaggy
Colonel

Post by Zaggy » 2007-07-23 16:05:04

Hmmm ok, thats a bit different to the standardsi used to use, and from memory, what PMC uses... esp the diagonal stuff...

No, from the image above, this is a different standard set by Combat360, and doesnt represent the standard originally sued by MPS and PMC...
Daniel "Zaggy" Bell
Old-School, Grumpy and Anti-Social
Also to be found lurking round FighterOps

Polak
Captain

Post by Polak » 2007-07-23 16:35:29

If this is something different than standard and original tiles configuration designed by MPS for F4 then my follow up question would be: are custom tile configurations permitted in CATE or to put it in the other fashion is CATE going to understand ANY trasitional arrangement of the tile?

To my knowledge and experience from other tile systems in the other games theres usually no "freedom" in making those arrangements. Usually the transions are pretty standard. Full tile, 1/2 tile 3/4 tile nd 1/4. And then depending on the system there are 3 way tiles but in most cases like "4", "5", "6","7 " and not diagolnals. Still mixing different configurations IF ALLOWED could be of great interest.

Zaggy
Colonel

Post by Zaggy » 2007-07-24 16:08:14

Hmmm, who is the CATE expert round here these days?
Daniel "Zaggy" Bell
Old-School, Grumpy and Anti-Social
Also to be found lurking round FighterOps

Polak
Captain

Post by Polak » 2007-07-25 00:39:18

To have this discussion to try to evolve into some sort of repository of knowledge about different terrain systems and standards I attach this link:
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articl ... cle934.asp here to show one of them as an example.

This particulary one is not perhaps fully representative of terrain in simulations however gives us some idea and slightly different perspective how variouos transitions could be arranged in tiled terrain. Surely there might be some other variants of that.

The main question still remains, if those can be implemented , or "customized "into Terrain Editor which in this particulary case is CATE.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Re: F4 Tiling Standards-Transition Numbering Reference Sheet

Post by Snake Man » 2007-08-05 18:55:41

Polak wrote:layout called "F4 Tiling Standards-Transition Numbering Reference Sheet". I was wondering if it is some kind of STILL current standard of tiles configuration or other configurations are common?
No.

Regarding CATE, it tiles with the conf file but I believe its correct to say that its solely based on the Microprose standard. But who knows what magic someone can do with the conf files, let us know if you try it.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Return to “Terrain / Theater”