Tactical Engagement

Terrain / Theater editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Epic
2nd Lt

Tactical Engagement

Post by Epic » 2007-06-14 20:28:53

Snakeman

I added my art files and IA and the initial TE maps look good. The campaign map didn't change for some reason, but I wasn't concerned about that at this point.

I created the campaign directory, deleted out the specified Korean files and added my new files. I edited the Save0.cam, instant.cam, and te_new.tac files.

IA works fine, but I get a "hang" when I try and create a new TE. ctrl-alt-del shows F4 is not responding. I made a copy of my save0.cam and renamed it to test.tac and attempted to edit it in Tactical Engagement. I get the same "hang." When I try and enter campaign I get a similar "hang."

I have re-made the 3 above files numerous times and I have created a new campaign folder as well. I am out of ideas. I didn't think it was artwork, because TE would just use the Korean map wouldn't it? Is it possible that its artwork causing the problem?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Epic

Sherlock
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Sherlock » 2007-06-14 20:34:53

How many teams are identified in your te_new.tac file? It only allows 2 teams.

Artwork (i.e., maps) could cause the hang if they are not the correct size, the correct name and the correct color format (i.e., tga, 8 bit, indexed).
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.

Re: Tactical Engagement

Post by Snake Man » 2007-06-14 21:13:20

Epic wrote:IA works fine, but I get a "hang" when I try and create a new TE. ctrl-alt-del shows F4 is not responding. I made a copy of my save0.cam and renamed it to test.tac and attempted to edit it in Tactical Engagement. I get the same "hang." When I try and enter campaign I get a similar "hang."
Thats not how you create te_new.tac file. It needs to be same as save0.cam object wise (linking and such), but you need to use teams 1 and 2 in there only, I think team 1 is the red and team 2 is blue (but I'm most likely mistaken these).
I didn't think it was artwork, because TE would just use the Korean map wouldn't it? Is it possible that its artwork causing the problem?
I think the te_new.tac is just plain wrong in your scenario.

Btw is it just me, or isn't there direct TE te_new.tac making tutorial anywhere in PMC Tactical? (if not I can make one).
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Epic
2nd Lt

Hangs

Post by Epic » 2007-06-14 22:34:04

Snakeman/Sherlock

How to make the te_new.tac is in the Ultimate Theater Tutorial. I didn't use the save0.cam file to create a te_new.tac, I used a copy of it to make a TE to see if F4 would "hang" when I tried to edit it in the TE editor. I followed the tutorial to build the 3 files.

I did assign ownership differently in the te_new.tac and the save0.cam file. For te_new.tac objects are teams 1 and 2. In save0.cam the teams are 2 and 6.

I used the objects.csv file that I exported from save0.cam after I did some linking and followed the Pak tutorial, for instant.cam and te_new.tac.

I just changed the tdf file to point to Korea128 art and when I selected "New" TE it worked. I checked my big_map_id.tga and it is index 256 colour 4096x4096. Which files specifically deal with the TE maps inside the tactical engagement editor?

Thanks,

Epic

Epic
2nd Lt

Campaign Map

Post by Epic » 2007-06-17 10:59:02

I finally got my campaign map from the main screen to work. The file name is Camp_smap.tga and is RGB 16bit from the Main.idx file.

Epic

Epic
2nd Lt

TE Editor Map

Post by Epic » 2007-06-19 19:08:29

TE Editor Map now working, the F4 "hanging" problem was caused by leaving the campmap.irc Perl file in the resource directory.

Epic

Sherlock
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0

Re: TE Editor Map

Post by Sherlock » 2007-06-19 19:40:44

Epic wrote:TE Editor Map now working, the F4 "hanging" problem was caused by leaving the campmap.irc Perl file in the resource directory.

Epic
Interesting to know that fact for future reference! Cheers!
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Return to “Terrain / Theater”