No voices?

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for OFP

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Ragman

No voices?

Post by Ragman » 2006-04-04 19:13:37

How come there's no voices on almost every campaign? except War Of Vietnam.
And how the hell do u get trough 1mission there? :-/

MI_Fred
1st Lt

Re: No voices?

Post by MI_Fred » 2006-04-04 20:07:33

You should see our active members list. No native english speakers here, sorry. No but it's completely normal not to have you know, with the community age average running at less than 20 I guess you can't sound as manly as the grunts were ;)

Ragman

Post by Ragman » 2006-04-04 21:03:50

well i guess ur right but u know not all the grunt's where over twenty.
the youngest man ever served in nam was 17 ;)

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2006-04-11 10:37:59

How come there's no voices on almost every campaign? except War Of Vietnam.
Its proven to be almost impossible task to get voices for OFP from the community, the ones that have done it have proven that the results sucks.

My personal belief is that if the conditions are the above mentioned, its better to leave missions/campaigns with just text based discussion dialogs, yes its somewhat compromise but regarding to download size and the overall atmosphere, I think its a good one.

Anyways, pretty much all of the campaigns originally came without sounds, thats why there ain't any.

The-Architect
1st Lt

Post by The-Architect » 2006-05-14 02:25:58

The average age for a combat soldier in Vietname was nineteen. Nuh, nuh, nuh, nuh, nineteen. Paul Hardcastle.

SouthSaturnDelta
Recruit

Post by SouthSaturnDelta » 2006-05-14 08:55:47

I tried making some voices.
They were shit. :-[
Can Binh Viet Cong! Day la dau Hieu Cau Tham Chet!

MI_Fred
1st Lt

Post by MI_Fred » 2006-05-15 22:01:46

As you probably know, VTE has a build-in script to make the Vietnamese speak or rather blurt out random and not so random things. Most of us probably don't have any clue what they are saying, except for the obvious ones, when they shout something in english or after they've shot you or your mate. That's also the reason why only Vietnamese do this, it wouldn't make any sense for the western troops to shout out things that don't make any sense.

But what if you could avoid that? I'm looking for anyone willing to do some research on the topic:
what are the common sighs, curses, warcrys, mutters and noises the western grunts made during the Vietnam war? If you could categorize 5 major types of sounds what would they be (if not the above)?

Currently the Vietnamese have soft speech, loud speech, equipment noise, movement noise, special noise and hurt noise. They are based on behaviour and combatmode and some less complex scripting. Each class has 6, 10 or 19 sounds. Where the western version would differ is that you might need different sounding persons to do each vocal sound. That would multiply the size of the vietnamese vocal sounds by the amount of persons doing the western vocal sounds.

Should we go that way or should the voices be neutral, unrecognizable, faceless... you know, ones that don't stand out so you can mix them, use several voices for one unit? Any of you feel like you are exactly that grunt?  :D

gundato

Post by gundato » 2006-11-12 22:43:01

At the very least, could you reenable the standard OFP commands and the like for now, or at least explain how for those of us who don't mind?

For the most part, I don't think people will complain if a guy in the 80s says "Ammo low" in the same tone as a guy from the 60s :p

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2006-11-13 14:17:52

At the very least, could you reenable the standard OFP commands and the like for now, or at least explain how for those of us who don't mind?
It has nothing to do with realism or present day versus nam era, its about GAMEPLAY.

For next version I'll add voice config also next to the default config.

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (OFP)”