Soldiers skills / camouflage etc (config.cpp)

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for OFP

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake_Man

Soldiers skills / camouflage etc (config.cpp)

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-11-22 01:07:09

Today I added the skill config.cpp entries for all the major soldier types: AirCav, Army, USMC, MFR, SF, SOG, LRRP and SEAL.

These settings include the following:
sensitivity=0;
sensitivityEar=0;
accuracy=0;
camouflage=0;
canHideBodies=0;
canDeactivateMines=0;
nightVision=0;

I added the basic SEB NAM Pack 2 settings to those units who had them, except I rise the settings for SEALs since apparently they are supposed to bad ass (and they are not in OFP). Also before anyone even opens their mouth read this I do not want to make rambos! but some nice balanced skill levels for the units that reflect their real world skills. For example, Special Forces guys must have some skills better than regular army grunts, right?

So few questions, what does these below config.cpp entries mean as I do not understand them correctly: sensitivity, sensitivityEar and accuracy?

And what would be ideal skill settings for all the various unit types listed in the beginning of the post?

All feedback is welcome, I do not claim to be anysort of expert on the cpp technical or the military unit skill side, so post if you got ideas, comments or real life data.

Hawkins
Recruit

Re: Soldiers skills / camouflage etc (config.cpp)

Post by Hawkins » 2005-11-22 07:06:41

I think it's like this,

Default OFP values for civ and regular forces;

accuracy=0.250000;
sensitivityEar=0.130000;
sensitivity=1;

accuracy should be self explanatory, sensitivityEar is the value that determines how well the AI can hear other units (I think). Not sure about sensitivity, but I found this on the official forums on some SF unit thread,

Code: Select all

nightVision=1;
accuracy=5.0;
sensitivity=3.5;
sensitivityEar=0.7;
audible=0.03;
camouflage=0.8;
canHideBodies=1;
I think it has something to do with the "delay" that the unit will attack at enemy units. The higher the value, the faster the unit determines that who the enemy is and attacks. Camouflage is camouflage, audible is the ammount of noice the unit makes, and the rest should be clear.
Last edited by Hawkins on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkins
The Footsoldier
Operation Flashpoint team Finlanders

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-11-22 08:24:55

accuracy should be self explanatory
It most certainly wont be, I assumed that its how accurate the unit firing a weapon is, but search on BIS forums shows that its something absolutely weird as how eagerly other units attack this guy or something. I really dont understand that one.
audible=0.03;  audible is the ammount of noice the unit makes
You know this for a fact? (just referring to the above example of totally opposite thingy).

If it is like that, thats good config because that is one thing that the special forces (not refer to "SF" specificly, just SF, SOG, etc all SpecOps) guys should handle better than some clomsy army grunts.

Hawkins
Recruit

Post by Hawkins » 2005-11-22 08:46:30

I don't know it for a fact, I would have to test it out. :) Though I remember reading somewhere that it was the amount of noise a unit will make, so that you can creep up to enemy units. Still, I can't say for sure, it needs more testing. If anyone else knows sth about the command, post.
its something absolutely weird as how eagerly other units attack this guy or something
Hmm now that is strange. Well it shows how good BIS was at naming their commands.
Last edited by Hawkins on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkins
The Footsoldier
Operation Flashpoint team Finlanders

Mike
1st Lt

Post by Mike » 2005-11-22 16:47:51

accuracy

you can take this as gospel, or, you can argue about it. accuracy has nothing to do with the soldier's or any other 'vehicles' ability to shoot things. It is the detection level *before* an enemy can spot them, or it.

Typically, houses and large'ish buildings have an accuracy of 0.25 and tanks eg are easily detectable at around same figure. snipers eg are .35 or more.

The value doesn't effect the ai's ability to detect the presence of an object, only it's ability to determine what it is, specifically. For an object to *never* be identified, you set the value to > 1.0. Typically, this is a 'trick' used in addons to never explicitly 'go to truck1a w stripes' but rather identify the thing by a generic name such as truck. Thus, in the game editor the full name is displayed, in game itself, the generic name, because with an accuracy > 1 it can't be identified specfically.

This is why you frequently get the call "#1 target target" followed later by "taget man' followed by "target soldier", depending on how easy the 'target' (all objects are base targets) can be identified..

accuracy and cost go glove in hand. The higher the 'cost' value, the more attractive it is for the ai to shoot at it. Therefore, ai always shoots medics first, folowed by officers because their cost is a higher value than joe grunt. Both values also apply to buildings and other items as well.

camoflage is a reverse figure to accuracy and also works a little differently

camoflage, typically applied to snipers, PREVENTS the ai from detecting them or it. The higher the value, the less the ability to DETECT the thing. (identifying = accuracy, camoflage = detect). From memory almost all units are 0. except for snipers with a value of 0.5 but i can be wrong on the figure.

canDisableMines is normally false (0). It is used by Engineers. I am not aware of a standard bis unit that can, in fact, disarm mines.
Last edited by Mike on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-11-22 21:12:37

That is excellent description, it certainly cleared things up, thank you.

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (OFP)”