Wow!

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for OFP

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Mike
1st Lt

Wow!

Post by Mike » 2005-11-20 04:36:00

I've avoided full mod addons because of thier huge size, and, the frequent need to update them with equally humungous patches. But, W :oW

I love that new gui front panel. It's just clean and free of 'extras' no-one wants to use.

The '60"s music is magnificent. I've left flashpoint Vte just running in background to enjoy it!

Have only tried a few of the very first missions (not campaigns) one crashes with scripting errors inside it, and the others are 'sluggish'. They all appear to play heavy with the engine really working hard. Not quite lag, but almost so, and I have a mean fast computer. Can I expect this slugishness on all missions? A certain seasickness as you swing the mouse?

--
also noted a comment in the readme about no longer requiring anims to be in the x_vte directory (or words to that effect). Can you enlighten me on the 'fix' Snakeman. everything about Island anims I know about begins with the magic words

cutscene[]={ "../somewhere"; }

what did you do to free this pain in the neck problem?

Snake_Man

Re: Wow!

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-11-20 05:41:56

Have only tried a few of the very first missions (not campaigns) one crashes with scripting errors inside it
You dont remember exactly which one it was? And I assume it was "long time" on the mission before this crash occurs because in my test (just minute or two into the missions) all works fine.
and the others are 'sluggish'. They all appear to play heavy with the engine really working hard. Not quite lag, but almost so, and I have a mean fast computer. Can I expect this slugishness on all missions? A certain seasickness as you swing the mouse?
I would say that the older missions are quite lag free, to my experience at least. I dont know what to say on all remaining missions if the first ones are lagging.

All I can tell you is try the PMC NAM 1965 campaign, its all my work and should be lag & crash free. (crossing fingers heh).
Can you enlighten me on the 'fix' Snakeman. everything about Island anims I know about begins with the magic words cutscene[]={ "../somewhere"; } what did you do to free this pain in the neck problem?
Its easy fix, but requires the use of mod folders. Your island, any island, can have its anims located in the dta/anims.pbo file and in config written just cutscene[]={"intro","intro2","etc"}; but as you see, you need to use mod folder like "VTE" where you have subdir "dta" where is the anims.pbo file hopefully copied from original OFP dta dir (so everon, malden, desert island cutscenes work) and patched with your islands cutscenes.

Mike
1st Lt

Post by Mike » 2005-11-20 10:21:35

single missions

"Aircav"

during the very very long load

"delete Eventhandler blah....."

--
"ammocache" immdiate CTD on start with

missions__cur_sp.vte_meekongdescription.extMagzines.JAM_45ACP_UMP_25HDMag: already defined

(i'm using Jam3)
---
"back in the jungle"

delete Eventhandler blah....

just after start

--
Only tired a few of the others, no apparent errors in them.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-11-20 15:10:31

"ammocache" immdiate CTD on start with
missions__cur_sp.vte_meekongdescription.extMagzines.JAM_45ACP_UMP_25HDMag: already defined
That is almost bizarre, I spent hours tracking down those missions that give any errors and then I tested them all by myself. Its baffling how the hell could one of these again slipped though.

Will be fixed on the next release.

Mike
1st Lt

Post by Mike » 2005-11-20 21:17:28

oops! forgot my manners !!

thanks for the explanation re anim folders. I understand, now, fully. Sadly, I was looking for a quicker dirtier solution that didn't involve such a large rebuild. I guess 'standard island anims' belong hardwired into ~/Addons and that's all there is to it.

---
also played a little of the 1965 nam campaign.

2nd mission (coc) has script errors looking or a 2nd and 3rd non-existent entry in some WeaponsCache.
mission would not end, 1st objective (of three) would not tick.

ditto the next, very large mission, holding the SF base. Don't recall exactly what the error was but a script error was displayed very early in mission.

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (OFP)”