Polish GI's islands bugs

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for OFP

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

MACV_SOG
Recruit

Polish GI's islands bugs

Post by MACV_SOG » 2005-11-12 09:42:07

On the Polish Gi's islands i've discovered a very huge bug. The ships have a huge problems with navigating through the rivers. I think it's beacause the rivers are too small. Or maybe I'm wrong? Help me!

Snake_Man

Re: Polish GI's islands bugs

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-11-12 12:15:29

You mean too narrow or too shallow?

Polish_GI
2nd Lt

Post by Polish_GI » 2005-11-12 16:35:18

Do you know which rivers (on which map(s)) you are talking about? You will find that a river typically splits the island into two or three pieces. PBRs should be able to cruise up and down these. And for the most part, infantry should not be able to ford these rivers. Streams break off from the main rivers and should not be able to allow PBRs to navigate as they are to shallow/narrow. But, the upside is that infantry should be able to ford the stream without problem.

Hope this helps!

.pablo.
Recruit

Post by .pablo. » 2005-11-12 17:33:46

yeah, i've noticed this as well, though i'm not sure if it was on one of Polish's islands; there were rivers that were navigable by the PBRs, but unrealistically narrow (at least afaik); they were ~30 feet across, so they also weren't crossable by infantry (at least they didn't look it), which made me wonder what their purpose was. i'll have to double-check what island it was where i noticed this, and see if the rivers are crossable or not.
"When in doubt, empty the magazine." -Murphy's Laws of Combat

MACV_SOG
Recruit

Post by MACV_SOG » 2005-11-12 17:40:38

This bug is on ALL Polish Gi's islands. The boats often don't moving or moving into land. This bug is also on some river on other maps (7 Mountains etc.)

Polish_GI
2nd Lt

Post by Polish_GI » 2005-11-13 00:23:43

This bug is on ALL Polish Gi's islands. The boats often don't moving or moving into land. This bug is also on some river on other maps (7 Mountains etc.)
I think I located the issue you are talking about.  Minor fix which is almost completed!  I suppose we can wait for the next release/patch, or perhaps I can upload the wrps for people to correct themselves.  Either way...

But also note, the only corrections I have made to date include the two rivers within Polei Kleng and the main river in Vinh Thanh Valley.  I tried to recreate these "islands" from actual maps in Vietnam, and the actual "streams" were never intended or built for PBR use.  But I agree, the main rivers should allow access for a PBR insertion, for game purposes.

Let me know your thoughts as I am always open to debate.

charon
Recruit

Post by charon » 2005-11-14 08:43:45

A positive word on polish's maps:
I really like them! They are awesome.
Polei Kleng has inspired me to make a nice jungle mission.
I'm sure the bugs are fixable for the full release. :)

Polish_GI
2nd Lt

Post by Polish_GI » 2005-11-14 15:03:50

A positive word on polish's maps:
I really like them! They are awesome.
Polei Kleng has inspired me to make a nice jungle mission.
Great, thanks for the feedback! I am glad you like them! That is what makes creating them worthwhile! People actually using them!

You just never know how it/they are going to be received by everyone after you pile a ton of hours into each island to make them what they are...

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (OFP)”