New to MODs - Just a suggestion

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for OFP

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

ironpadre

New to MODs - Just a suggestion

Post by ironpadre » 2005-11-07 03:06:18

I have owned and played OFP for four years and love it. I am a Vietnam Veteran (1966-67 Air CAV) who is computer literate, but confess to you, like many of my Vietnam Vet brothers who also play OFP, am quite new to MODs. I downloaded VTE (latest version) and am quite impressed with the project overall, but like several others who have posted "HELP" messages on this forum, have had no success in getting VTE to work properly. I am running OFPR v.1.96, but cannot get the game to boot in vte mode. Speaking for myself and some of the other neophytes who would like to run VTE, a step-by-step install guide would be of great help. I have written some MPs in the past, but VTE has me stumped. Judging from the screenshots of VTE, your project is much needed and goes unparalleled in the community. Outstanding job! [smiley=beer.gif]

.pablo.
Recruit

Re: New to MODs - Just a suggestion

Post by .pablo. » 2005-11-07 04:07:45

what problems are you running into? i'm not a member of the VTE team, but i may be able to help you if no one else is responding...
"When in doubt, empty the magazine." -Murphy's Laws of Combat

Polish_GI
2nd Lt

Post by Polish_GI » 2005-11-07 05:27:34

I am wondering if this is your problem!  Create an additional shortcut for OFP, and within the shortcut properties, within the target line, add this:

"C:Program FilesCodemastersOperation FlashpointFLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE" -nosplash -mod=x_vte -nomap  

Also, make sure you include the x_vte folder in the OFP directory.  Under/within the x_vte folder, you will have the following:  addons, bin, campaigns, dta, missions, newdata.  Or basically how the folders are when downloaded from any of the various sites.

Hope this helps or makes sense!

I must admit, that is awesome that we have some of the actual guys playing this...  That would complete the experience, not only living it, but now playing it!

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-11-07 05:44:24

Indeed there has been several "help" posts about installing VTE. As I am running OFP daily on different setups its easy to me to drop new "mod folder" into OFP and get it running, but it might be difficult to new guys who dont understand the mod directory thingy.

So I'll dedicate one topic completely to the installation instructions which I can then paste into the upcoming readme's and manual. Also I want to link few good tutorials for installations across the OFP community. I was even thinking of making small web page/PDF file of how to install VTE directly (even though its the same thing for all mods basically).

So stay tuned, I'll get right on it.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-11-07 07:49:51

Here is the VTE Install Help page.

ironpadre

Post by ironpadre » 2005-11-08 04:19:59

;)Thanks Snakeman, Polish GI and Pablo for responding to this mod neophyte. Snakeman, I haven't had time to try your installation suggestions, but have copied the page to file and will work on it this week. Even though I am in Michigan, USA, I am pleased to know that the OFPR brotherhood knows no boundaries. Thanks for the help. ;)

ironpadre

Post by ironpadre » 2005-11-21 01:23:39

Well campers, I offer boo coo thanks for your assistance in getting this outstanding VTE Mod up and running, especially Snakeman and Polish GI. It seems that the English version of Win XP Pro will not accept the added command where you suggested placing it in the shortcut properties, but it does work by inserting it in the first part of the wizard menu. You have created one helluva great Mod. While many scenarios and sites portrayed in the mod do not correspond to my experience in the Nam in 1966-67, the mod goes further than anything that has been released yet, in portraying the ambience of that theater of operation. When I flew the first Huey that had the 1st Cavemplem on the nose in one of the MP missions, fired up the turbine and lifted off, I had a helluva rush. The turbine sounds authentic! Terrific job boys! I'll start working of some MP missions and reworking some of the existing missions to better capture the feeling of how it was. THANK YOU! from a Vietnam 1st Cav Vet! [smiley=beer.gif]

Polish_GI
2nd Lt

Post by Polish_GI » 2005-11-21 05:11:13

Awesome!  Glad to hear that you fired it up and it is running now!  Looking forward to seeing what you come up with to play!

Cheers!

[smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (OFP)”