can anyone help?

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for OFP

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

baboonfish

can anyone help?

Post by baboonfish » 2005-11-06 15:21:45

Hi there

Firstly, when running the sky install the "error data.pbo file not found" appears. This data file is in the DTA folder of the ofp directory so why cant the installer find it?

Secondly, I cant understand the instruction "start your OFP with the -mod=x_vte -nomap parameters.", maybe someone could explain it for me?

Im running ofp v1.3, ive put all the required files in the x_vte addon directory and ive tried all i can think of with my limited computer brain!

Thanks in advance!
joe

Polish_GI
2nd Lt

Re: can anyone help?

Post by Polish_GI » 2005-11-06 16:12:00

I am not 'one' with the sky installer, but I can address your second point.

If you are running OFP v1.3, you have some additional work ahead of you.  The Mod itself requires v1.96 in order to run correctly.  Is it possible to get ahold of OFP Resistance?  If you can find it, it is typically in bargain sales for $5 these days, locally or on eBay.

Below is my 'target line' for starting OFP, with VTE and ECP.  This is basically a command telling your computer and OFP to start OFP, and along with starting the game, make sure to also fire up Vietnam: The Experience and the Enhanced Configuration Project for OFP.  I believe I included the nosplash command as well, this speeds up the time in order to reach the main menu quicker instead of going through all of the introduction screens.

So, long story short, make sure you acquire a copy of OFP Resistance, that will bring you up to v1.75, and then visit ofp.info for the OFP patch that brings you up to v1.96.  I am unaware of any present patches that allow you to sidestep Resistance(v1.75) and go to 1.96.  It sounds like you are at the level that Red Hammer brings you up to.

"C:Program FilesCodemastersOperationFlashpointFLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE" -nosplash -mod=@ECP;x_vte -nomap parameters

Hope this helps!

Steel
Recruit

Post by Steel » 2005-11-07 03:30:17

yes - you have to be at 1.96.  i am not sure if you can patch to 1.96 without having resistance...

for the sky thing, it sounds like the x_vte folder is not in the operation flashpoint folder?  or it could be realated to not have resistance as well...  not sure.

the above example polish_gi gave shows how to start operation flashpoint with the vte mod.  if you do not want to use ecp, then it would look like this:

"C:Program FilesCodemastersOperation FlashpointFLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE" -nosplash -mod=x_vte -nomap

the 'parameters' that was at the end should not be there.  to create a shortcut, right click on flashpointresistance.exe  (if there is a way to patch regular operation flashpoint to 1.96 this will then  be flashpoint.exe) in the operation flashpoint folder, then click on create shortcut.  you will then see a new file in the operation flashpoint directory "Shortcut to FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE".  Right click on that and then click on rename, then type in VTE and hit enter.  Then right click on it again (now named VTE) then go to properties.  in the target field move the cursor to the end of the line, hit space bar, then type -nosplash -nomap -mod=x_vte.  then hit o.k.  you are done.  you now have a shortcut to flashpoint that will start the VTE mod.    you can also change the icon by right clicking, going to properties and then clicking on chang icon, browse to the x_vte folder and select the custom vte icon.  you can alternatively put this on your desktop by again right clicking on it then the send to>desktop.

polish_gi,
have you enabled any ecp effects in the missions? we also run vte with ecp. we are going to, but waiting for final versions of the missions. i don't want to change them all (including fixing respawn and other issues) and then redo them all if/when new ones are released...
Last edited by Steel on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.
Helmut "Steel" Fritz
Wings of Fury, XO

baboonfish

Post by baboonfish » 2005-11-07 14:00:45

hey peeps

many thanks for the help. yes that all seems pretty straight forward! i will get hold of resistance asap but it would be helpful if this was mentioned somewehere!! I'd kinda guessed that was the case.

Will drop a message if and when i get it all running, hope its worth it!!

just a sideline, is the generall concensus that the vte beta is much better than the seb nam pack thing?

thanks again

Polish_GI
2nd Lt

Post by Polish_GI » 2005-11-07 15:19:18

just a sideline, is the generall concensus that the vte beta is much better than the seb nam pack thing?
Any day of the week and twice on Sunday!  It is worth it IMHO...

Polish_GI
2nd Lt

Post by Polish_GI » 2005-11-07 20:16:05

the 'parameters' that was at the end should not be there.  
Whoops, what does the 'parameters' inclusion do or not do as part of the target line?
polish_gi,
have you enabled any ecp effects in the missions?  we also run vte with ecp.  we are going to, but waiting for final versions of the missions.  i don't want to change them all (including fixing respawn and other issues) and then redo them all if/when new ones are released...
Sorry, spaced this one!  No, I thought of waiting as well!  Just gathering ideas for now...

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-11-07 21:37:15

i will get hold of resistance asap but it would be helpful if this was mentioned somewehere
Well, honestly it would be a tough job nowadays to find/install only OFP v1.46 (or what was the non-resistance version number), so yeah you are right the readme does not say the required OFP version which I'll fix right away, but its kind of assumed that nobody runs old version anymore.

Steel
Recruit

Post by Steel » 2005-11-08 21:22:11

parameters does not do anything. he was stating to use the -xxx -yyy parameters....
Helmut "Steel" Fritz
Wings of Fury, XO

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (OFP)”