Open beta 09-13-05

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for OFP

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake_Man

Open beta 09-13-05

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-09-13 03:48:20

Gooood mooooorning Vietnaaaaam!

Vietnam: The Experience (VTE) first public release is here. Its an open beta.

This is the most comprehensive Vietnam "mod" available for OFP. It will contain the good old SEB NAM Pack 2 units and vehicles along with many more community made units. It comes with several islands, new jungle vegetation and urban objects. However, this is nothing like SEB NP2+, this is a new package with lot of stuff. Here is some of the items we have.

Weapons
Maksim MG, Browning Hi-Power 9mm, Bar, Mas36, Mas38, Chautelleret, Grease Gun, MP40, Thompson, Kar, M1 Car, M1 Garand, M1919A4, DP27, PPD-40, FAL, L1A1, Nagant, PPS-43, PPSH-41, M60 Shorty, M63A Stoner, Chicom Type 56, RPG-2, 90mm Recoiless MAW, M45 9mm SMG, M39 Hush Puppy, Ithaca 37, Typ 68, MAT 49, K-50M, Sten Gun MkII, Bren Gun MkII, Lee Enfield N4.

Vehicle Weapons
MK-77 Napalm, UV-16-57 Rockets, HVAR Rockets, Willy Pete, MK-82R, AIM-9 Sidewinder, AIM-7 Sparrow, AGM-45 Shrike, AA-2 Atoll, FAB-250, Standard ARM, MK-81, MK-83, MK-84, M-117, M-118, BLU-82 Daisy Cutter, BLU-1 Napalm, LAU-10 Rockets, 20mm Cannon, VYa Cannons, 6x50cal M2, SUU-30 Pod, M61 Vulcan, 4x20mm Cannons, GSh-23 Cannon, 7.62x51 doorgun.

Units
Units include various from these categories: AirCav, Marine Force Recon, Marine, SEAL, Army, SF, LRRP, CIDG, MIKE, ARVN, Civilian villager, VC villager, Cambodian Mercenary, Chieu Hoi, Bushman, Village Rebel, VC, Viet Minh, NVA, SOG, SOG Recon, Australia SAS, LRRP (ERDL).

Vehicles
M2 Army, M2 USMC, M2 AirCav, Mi-8, C-130 Hercules, MC-130E Combat Talon I, Ox cart, Centurion, Crashed Huey, DHC-4 Caribou, OV-10 Bronco, GMC CCKW, Willys MB, M3 Halftrack, MiG-21, CSR 105mm, Bell47G, C-47 Skytrain, BTR-60, Il-28 Beagle, B-52 Stratofortress, B-57 Canberra, F-4 Phantom, F-5A, F-100 Super Sabre, MiG-17, MiG-19, A-1J Skyraider, F-105 Thunderchief, T-55, A-6 Intruder, O-1 Bird Dog, F-86A Sabre, Sikorsky S-56, CH-53E Superstallion, T-34/85, CH-34, LSSC, Sampan, 60mm Mortar, DShK Heavy MG, M19 Mortar, ZSU-57-2, T-54, PT-76, SU-76 SP Gun, Type 63 AA, BTR-50PK, K-63, M113A1, LVTP-5, M48A3 Patton, M60A1 Patton, M551 Sheridan, M163A1 Vulcan, UH-1D Slick, UH-1H Slick, UH-1H Dustoff, UH-1C ARA, UH-1C Gunship, OH-6A, AH-1G, CH47C, ZPU4 AA, ZU-23-2, M1919A4 tripod, Bike, Motorbike, Scooter, Gaz69.

Islands
Intro, Vietnam 12km, Vietnam 25km, SEB Ia Drang, 7 Mountains (25km), A Shau Valley, Australian AO (25km), VTE Ia Drang, Parrots Beak (25km), Ilo Ilo, Rumble In The Jungle, RSSZ, Long Son, MDSZ, Meekong, Iron Triangle. We have tons of brand new objects including vegetation and buildings objects. Various new ground textures are also included.

Then we have 28 music tracks with the NAM sixties mood. Also some animals like Mule, Cow, Rooster, Chicken, Duck, Dog. Radio callsigns are included, VC speech and mist. Thats pretty much sums it up. Oh yeah did I mention the missions, 114 single player, 2 MP (heh) and 7 campaigns. So yeah, this is not a addon you try in the mission editor for 5 minutes, you do have actually missions to play with.

Download is rar of course and not any lame exe installer. The download does not include any "original" addons, meaning we dont just pack stuff there which you can download elsewhere. There are existing stuff inside, but they are all edited one way or the other. The size is large, but its all necessary, you wont be leeching stuff you already have.

Downloads:
VTE open beta 09-13-05 - 330mb. from OFP.info.
Mirror by Raptor

October 4th, 2005. Patch #1 download here - 32mb, thanks to Raptor for the mirror.

October 9th, 2005. Patch #2 download here - 1mb, thanks to Raptor for the mirror.

More mirrors are extremely welcome and appreciated.

Additional addons which you are required to download: Bn880 tracers, CoC Unified Artillery, CoC Mines, JAM2 and USMC markers. Note, these are NOT included in the VTE download.

Check out the official VTE homepage for any details. Also we answer questions in this topic.

VTE Founder and Leader
Snake Man, PMC.
Last edited by Snake_Man on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

W0lle
Recruit

Re: Open beta 09-13-05

Post by W0lle » 2005-09-13 16:30:09

A first little Bug Report after a quick check of VTE Ia Drang:

At Grid Di55 you have floating forest trees (and probably on other locations as well).

At the big Base (Ja38) there are some old textures from the original SEB Ia Drang Island.

When starting OFP I also get an error saying

Addon 'sebnam_1a' requires addon 'sebnam_us'

although all addons from the archive are present in my mod folder. But that might be a problem with my installation, I try to make a clean install of OFP later just for this mod and report back in if the error still pops up.

Other then that, great work with this. Thanks to everyone involved :)

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-09-13 17:47:24

When starting OFP I also get an error saying
Addon 'sebnam_1a' requires addon 'sebnam_us'
You arent following the readme install instructions. Just unrar the downloaded rar, use it as mod folder and you'll do just fine.

I'd assume you have some old SEB NP2 mod dir attached to the VTE dir or you have the NP2 files in OFP addons dir. Or perhaps you unpacked VTE on top of your existing NP2. These will cause problems I believe, not sure though.

W0lle
Recruit

Post by W0lle » 2005-09-13 19:42:29

Yes, as supposed it was my installation. After a clean install of OFP and only using VTE with that install no more error message showing up.

Another thing I noticed though, the arms of the units are a bit too bright, compared to their hands and considering they are located in that environment. ;)

Bonko

Post by Bonko » 2005-09-14 08:09:15

excellent stuff, congratulations!
must be a lot of work to compile the hundreds of different addons (and in many cases faulty) to get them working in harmony. the islands are incredible, 7 Mountains is a treat. Thank you.

Now a bit of bug finding: c47 has a bad pilot proxie, its too high; F4 gives me cannot find script: vte_blu (something); the AA missiles are locking on men; in most cases the aiming sights of the planes have "shinning" glass that prevents from seeing target well; the island Anims are missing bn_tracers; the AA missile in the F5 also gives a script error "...0 returned, 3 expected..."
I only had a couple of hours to try this, but its looking very promising :)

burroughs

Post by burroughs » 2005-09-14 11:01:34

Greetings! I had gotten so excited just to have found out that the VTE is out that I spent the whole yesterday afternoon and evening downloading it. I was a little bit disappointed when I realized that most of the many missions and campaigns are the conversions of the ones that I had already played , but Iam going to give it a try anyway.
This is one hell of a good job, albeit a few things are annoying or frustrating.
1. The ARVN servicemen do not look like the native inhabitants of Indochina: I guess that the models should be a little retextured so as to make their faces look realistic instead of causing an impression that they are American troops. Their height which is to ba a little lower that that of an average American counterpart is of minor importance.
2. I gave a go one of the missions, named "Behind enemy lines". I once played that mission and I was wondering what changes to the original version had been made, but the whole island was missing and I closed it, irritated. I think that I follwed every step of the install instruction and have quite a long experience in using OFP modifications :-). What the ... ?! ... Any ideas what to do, please? ...
3. Muzzle flashes and some weapon textures look somewhat artificial - but if it's the baeta stage, then I guess I should not criticize it too severly, so it's just a remark, nothing more or else.
3. That would be it so far - I had only an hour and a half last night to have look at it and even though I am at work presently, I can't stop thinking about a moment when I will finally have got home and launch it again.
Keep it up like that! See you on my next tour in Nam!

Dr.Pepper

Post by Dr.Pepper » 2005-09-14 13:35:13

Finally there´s a nice arranged collection of the most useful nam-addons. Nice Work. Very useful for missionmakers ;)

I like your Islands (though I could do without the very small ones). But I have a few points of criticism to your version of Ia Drang:
- The Forests could need some more bushes and undergrowth (well sure not too much, as we know, the AI can see through some of them...)
- you replaced the most huts from sebnam with pile dwellings... These should be located at places with water, coast, swamps... but in the middle of the forrest ? well, I would appreciate it, if you´d think about it another time.

Another point is: You took some vehicles from the sebnam2 pack, that were just "placeholders" for real addons to be made... such as the T-54, which is just a T-55 and the PT-76, which is just a bmp (just 2 examples).... will you change this in futuere upgrades ?

To your 100+ Missions:
Well, how many did you test or play yourself ?
Some missions are... well, not very exciting...
And some of the so called SP Missions are MP...
You should give preferance to quality not to quantity.

I was working on a bigger MP Mission in Ia Drang...
well now I will rework it all with your addon... ;)
I hope all your addons will work with a dedicated server, because the mission will require one, because of it´s size and possibilities...
I´m not sure when it will be ready, but if you like, I will send it to you...

Keep up your good work.

Mike_ITA

Post by Mike_ITA » 2005-09-14 22:02:17

I don't understand the following part of the readme :

Finally start your OFP with the -mod=x_vte -nomap parameters.

Thanks.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-09-14 22:13:46

As I stated in the BIS VTE topic I'd like to thank everyone posting feedback. Its very much appreciated and since this is an open beta... its the only way to proceed with this project from here. So thank you guys! :)
F4 gives me cannot find script: vte_blu
Oops! How did I miss than, well its now fixed and waiting in queue for the first patch. Thanks for letting me know.
many missions and campaigns are the conversions of the ones that I had already played
Well... you havent played them with VTE ;)
missions, named "Behind enemy lines" ... but the whole island was missing
Any ideas what to do
This is buggy mission conversion, it will be fixed.
Muzzle flashes and some weapon textures look somewhat artificial
Do you have specific weapon models in mind?

How about any better models released to public which we could replace them with?
I can't stop thinking about a moment when I will finally have got home and launch it again.
We offer our sincere apologys to mess up your workday :D
I have a few points of criticism to your version of Ia Drang
Its still under work, we plan to overhaul it quite much. In fact at the moment its like 10min work on WrpTool replace objects/textures feature, so stay tuned.
You took some vehicles from the sebnam2 pack, that were just "placeholders"
will you change this in futuere upgrades
Yes, we plan to replace them with new models.
To your 100+ Missions: Well, how many did you test or play yourself ?
Each and every one. I had to make sure that they are started and running cutscenes correctly.
Some missions are... well, not very exciting...
Well these are missions scavenged all over the OFP NAM community. They do have variable quality, which I wont be commenting in any shape or form. :)
I was working on a bigger MP Mission in Ia Drang... well now I will rework it all with your addon...
If you want, I can do the initial sqs/sqf and sqm file conversion for you. Just email me the files and its done quickly.
I hope all your addons will work with a dedicated server
We absolutely want to make sure VTE will work on MultiPlayer environment, especially in dedicated (linux) servers. It might not work as of yet, I dont know as I didn't have chance to test.

Here is new screenshot, some of the aircrafts.

baikie

Post by baikie » 2005-09-15 04:47:10

omg u guys plz have my Baby, i have just recently downloaded this Pack and ITS awsome, However im apart of a OFP gaming community that absolutely loves Nam Addons and stuff, however ATM our server is allready has alot of Different name Addons in it and stuff, We only want 1 thing, and thats the Australian AO island (we just dont want all our community players Downloading the whole pack considering its 300 megs).

Possibly could u guys tell me how the Australian AO might run on servers and possibly would be able to extract the island out of the pack to use singular? It would be good and alot of fun for this island to be on the server, Its just some members have 128k speed and stuff like that so they arnt gona DL the whole pack.

My Servers specs are:
2.6 gighertz
1 gig ram
60 gigbyte hardspace

thnx guys (plz if you didnt want me to post a reply in this forums plz send me a PM)

U ARE ALL CHAMPS GOOD JOB!

burroughs

Post by burroughs » 2005-09-15 08:10:03

Allright then:
1. When I wrote about some weapon textures that look artificial I meant M16a1 in particular - as I can see the model has been transferred, so to speak, from the "Battlefield Vietnam"; in most muzzle flashes there is a yellow something and that is what bothers me about them. I mean your M16a1 looks to me a bit more realistic, according to what I can see in many pictures from the Vietnam era, but in reference to the shape itself and is a little better even than that of the SEBNAM II. But the textures still would be better.
2. According to the uniforms worn by some of the units- Chieu Hoi have the NVA regulars appearance as a default clothing. I visited several websites dedicated to the projects and saw many pictures. The servicemen converted from the previous Viet Cong guerillas mostly worn uniforms that of the ARVN or tiger fatigues when in the field - especially those Kit Carson scouts. The weapoms that the units are equipped with far better than the idea of having them wearing the NVA beige.
3. There is a problem with the CIDGs; as far as I can remember there is something wrong with some of the configurations and I couldn't see them in the editor. The 1962 models work O.K., but the 1966/67 don't.
4. When I tried to locate and destroy the weapon cache in the "Indian Country" mission ( a graet environment crates a very specific climate right at the very beginning ...) I had a problem with my team - they hardly could cross a shallow steram. I can perfectly remember that there was the same prblem with the Meekong Island - the AI coldn't move freely in many areas which was really annoying.
5. I think that your "PMC 1965 Nam" campaign needs lots of RAM, doesn't it? ... therefore I need to delay as it seems the moment I give it a go until I reconfigure my equipment so as to have it work better and more efficiently. I am asking becuse it lags like hell on my PC. Any idea? ...

Mike_ITA

Post by Mike_ITA » 2005-09-15 12:43:44

Ok I resolved the problem, the mod is awesome!

But everytime I start a mission, a campaign or the game itself I have an error :

Error loading data3d/vysilocka.p3d can be also data3d/zumi or a different one. Many times I cannot see the cutscenes.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-09-16 01:20:02

I don't understand the following part of the readme :
-mod=x_vte -nomap parameters
It means you have to start OFP with parameter. The parameters are the "-mod=<MOD> -nomap". I'm quite new to use the -nomap but I assume it helps for the memory somehow.

So in other words, you could start your OFP with shortcut like this (or with start -> run)

FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE -nosplash -mod=x_vte -nomap
would be able to extract the island out of the pack to use singular?
That would be difficult, to pull it out from the pbo's. Of course its doable if you have the knowhow.
There is a problem with the CIDGs
The 1962 models work O.K., but the 1966/67 don't.
Thanks for reporting this, I'll look into it.
"PMC 1965 Nam" campaign needs lots of RAM, doesn't it?
Well no more than my usual missions. It dont even use CoC UA yet, except on was it first mission or so. UA is to be added later and airstrike scripts tweaked. But I dont see any reason why it would require more RAM than my usual missions.
it lags like hell on my PC.
You are talking about campaign, so which mission lags like hell? (I assume you didn't play it completely through and refer "it" as the whole 50 or so missions plus cutscenes hehe).
But everytime I start a mission, a campaign or the game itself I have an error :
Error loading data3d/vysilocka.p3d can be also data3d/zumi or a different one.
That is error most likely because of faulty installation. I suggest you precisely follow the readme instructions, do not run any other addons than VTE stuff + required addons (for VTE).

Let me know how it turns out.

Ensign_Riles

Post by Ensign_Riles » 2005-09-18 16:59:57

I think the Transferance mission in the 1969 campaign is broken. I believe I have killed every single one of the attacking Vietcong, and I have let the game run for over 40 ingame hours, much longer than the four hour watch, yet it won't complete. The mission goal still has Defend Base (If necessary) uncompleted.

By the way, it says to go in a watch tower, but there obviously is no watch tower. :p

Just thought I would share this with you.

Polish_GI
2nd Lt

http://www.ofpnam.com/downloRe: Open beta 09-13-05

Post by Polish_GI » 2005-09-18 17:26:04

To start of with, thanks for the all of the work pulling everything together. It never is an easy job making a bunch of different addons play well together in the same sandbox.

On a few technical tweaks: The Viet Minh Rifleman (MP40) does not have any ammunition when selected in the Mission Editor, I believe the Maksim HMG is spelled Maxim, do we have the VTE version (name/ammo) for the Tokarev, Makarov, .38 Revolver, Ak-47, Remington 870, Bazooka or RPG-7?

I was excited to see a Sheridan finally in the mix! Two thumbs up on that one! Also, the PT-76 is an APC! Perhaps steal the model from the OFP-D North Vietnam Army Pack v1.1? It is pretty good!

http://www.ofpd.org/viet.php

http://www.ofpnam.com/download.php?view.111

Tough to play without the PT-76 as I believe it was one of the more common AFVs that the NVA possessed.

I will keep poking around, but again, thanks for the hard work pulling everything together!

Ensign_Riles

Post by Ensign_Riles » 2005-09-19 23:16:18

I am wondering if anything will ever be done for any of the campaign missions that require you to defend or eliminate all of an enemy presense.

I am having trouble with base defense in the second mission of the 1965 campaign, I can't find the Vietcong/NVA who panicked while attacking the base and then ran off into the forest to who knows where.

I think if the enemy runs away, that should be considered defeating them, I don't like spending over two hours for probably one soldier who is probably on the other side of the map and not within a kilometer of the base. Really kills the atmosphere. I highly doubt in real life you know exactly how many enemy soldiers there are, and exactly how many have been killed, so you wouldn't have God ending your battle saying it was a success like the game does.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-09-20 00:06:05

Transferance mission in the 1969 campaign is broken. I have killed every single one of the attacking Vietcong, yet it won't complete.
Okay I'll try to fix it.
Viet Minh Rifleman (MP40) does not have any ammunition
This has been fixed, it will be included in the first patch.
Maksim HMG is spelled Maxim
Same goes for this, will be fixed in next patch.
do we have the VTE version (name/ammo) for the Tokarev, Makarov, .38 Revolver, Ak-47, Remington 870, Bazooka or RPG-7?
Hmm no, we use JAM ammo where ever its possible, only few weapons use their own (VTE) ammo.
the PT-76 is an APC! Perhaps steal the model from the OFP-D North Vietnam Army Pack v1.1?
We will try to include this in the first patch. Cannot make any promises though.
I am wondering if anything will ever be done for any of the campaign missions
Yes, have some patience :)

Ensign_Riles

Post by Ensign_Riles » 2005-09-20 00:26:15

Sorry, I am just loving this mod too much to let you all do your jobs properly.

Thanks for your work! :P

charon
Recruit

Post by charon » 2005-09-20 11:29:27

Great work!
I couldn't resist the temptation to instantly
make a nice Meekong mission with the beta.
To improve your Mod, here is a few errors that
occured:

1)
When using the "deletevehicle" command on
VC and US soldiers that are assigned to a chopper
an error comes up.
The command conflicts with the "getin" eventhandlers.
I could not find the line in the addon configs, because
there is just too many.
To have infinite reinforcements, deletevehicle is really important.
My workaround was to assign a standard soldier as group leader and deletevehicle it, but thats not really nice.
I hope you guys can fix that.

2) The Maksim MG is not engaged properly by the soldiers,
they don't engage it or don't hit it.
So basically one Maksim MG as a base defense is enough
to take out a whole attacking platoon!
Maybe the zamerny-vertex in the addon is faulty?

3) When driving the NVA ammo truck, the pallets on the back of the truck shift around.

I will keep updating the errors i find here so you can consider
some fixes.

Respect,
Charon

Polish_GI
2nd Lt

Post by Polish_GI » 2005-09-20 17:31:47

This mod/work is a great idea! Nice to see so many people taking an interest to make it that much better! Two thumbs up!

Do we have an idea when Patch 1 will come out (probably not) or how big? Will it be minor or another whole download consisting of 300+ mb? Not sure how this works...

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-09-21 18:59:54

When using the "deletevehicle" command on VC and US soldiers that are assigned to a chopper an error comes up.
Interesting, I'm not sure if I ran a createunit/deletevehicle mission to the latest VTE version.
The command conflicts with the "getin" eventhandlers.
Actually I have no clue where the getin's come from, I've seen some error on the screen on rare occations.

Will have to look into this, thanks for letting us know.
The Maksim MG is not engaged properly by the soldiers
We'll try to fix this.
When driving the NVA ammo truck, the pallets on the back of the truck shift around.
Hmm shift around, strange. Again, I'll look into this.
Do we have an idea when Patch 1 will come out
I have already done bunch of fixes, but I'd like to get in few more.
Will it be minor or another whole download consisting of 300+ mb?
No, the patch size will be small, we only include the files inside the pbo's that were edited. Mostly these will be config.cpp files but even with few larger files, the patch still will be quite small.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-09-22 06:35:01

Two images by dabitup using VTE

joekidds
Recruit

Post by joekidds » 2005-09-22 23:27:33

just to let you know, i have updated the VTE moddb.com profile, although i did it a week late.

here is the link: http://mods.moddb.com/5240/

and im sorry i probably wont be able to download considering i dont have the internet on my gaming comp.
I uploaded the PMC Fury Radio voices, missions 1-53! get it here: http://www.freewebs.com/joekidds/pmcfuryradio1-11.rar (11mb)

VTE moddb profile:
http://mods.moddb.com/5240/

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-09-23 01:47:57

When using the "deletevehicle" command on VC and US soldiers that are assigned to a chopper an error comes up.
We tested this and got no such error, can you provide step by step way to reproduce the error please?
3) When driving the NVA ammo truck, the pallets on the back of  the truck shift around.
Again I tested the ammo truck but found no errors with its model or behaviour?

Polish_GI
2nd Lt

Post by Polish_GI » 2005-09-25 02:27:56

Has anyone tried the 'setface' command line on each soldier's init line? I tried it and it did not work! Was this included for VTE? There is a possibility that I entered wrong... Not sure, but thought I would check prior to having another go at it! And don't tell me it is in the readme file! haha :P

charon
Recruit

Post by charon » 2005-09-29 22:24:20

We tested this and got no such error, can you provide step by step way to reproduce the error please?

Again I tested the ammo truck but found no errors with its model or behaviour?

Snake_Man,
i have simply put "deletevehicle this" in the in-editor-command-line of an AirCav soldier and it brings up the error with only 2 units in the mission (the player being another Aircav soldier)
The NVA ammo truck has ammo crates on its back that move through the chassis-model when you drive up steep hills with it.
I can send you the mission file if you cant reproduce the errors.
But maybe the problem lies within my addon folder, you never know.
Charon

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-09-30 04:36:41

i have simply put "deletevehicle this" in the in-editor-command-line of an AirCav soldier and it brings up the error
Ah I see now.

This error comes from the Bn880 tracers initialising for the soldier... which is already deleted in the mission!

I'll consult Bn880 about this and we'll see what can be done. However in my opnion, its rather strange to deletevehicle a unit immediately (before like ~3 seconds) during the mission.

You personally editing a mission can fix this by setting about 3-5seconds delay for the deletion. Of course this would mean like killed.sqs or put the deleteVehicle guys/units into the init.sqs or someplace like that.
The NVA ammo truck has ammo crates on its back that move through the chassis-model when you drive up steep hills with it.
Ah I see now, steep hills. Good catch!

Thanks for reporting and sorry if I sounded like doubting your reports, it was just that our tests were not identical to yours, thanks for correcting that.

I'll assure you we'll try to solve these two problems. Thanks again!

MACV_SOG
Recruit

Post by MACV_SOG » 2005-10-03 12:11:21

There are a missing objects (like helopad, trenches) in empty/vte objects . The are in config but not in the game

charon
Recruit

Post by charon » 2005-10-04 12:03:01

Ah I see now.

This error comes from the Bn880 tracers initialising for the soldier... which is already deleted in the mission!

I'll consult Bn880 about this and we'll see what can be done. However in my opnion, its rather strange to deletevehicle a unit immediately (before like ~3 seconds) during the mission.

You personally editing a mission can fix this by setting about 3-5seconds delay for the deletion. Of course this would mean like killed.sqs or put the deleteVehicle guys/units into the init.sqs or someplace like that.

Ah I see now, steep hills. Good catch!

Thanks for reporting and sorry if I sounded like doubting your reports, it was just that our tests were not identical to yours, thanks for correcting that.

I'll assure you we'll try to solve these two problems. Thanks again!

It would be nice to be able to deletevehicle the NAM-soldiers by cleanup-scripts to reduce lag, so
you looking into that matter would be really appreciated.

I have run into more little bugs that i consider worth reporting here. Due to the fact that i have been unable to localize the
"VC Dhsk Heavy maching gun" in the config, i don't know which classes it inherits, but there is 2 issues with that particular vehicle.

1) Even though the gunner is dead, the machine gun is still considered a target by the AI and friendly soldiers are commanded to engage it by the group leader AI.
That might as well be intentended, as wiping out the threat of a machine gun completely in a battle is a smart move.
In my experience a vehicle is only engaged by the AI if there is
a unit assigned to it, so maybe it has an accidental 2 man crew
with one unit not visible (like a commander or driver)?

2) The machine gun cant be "mounted" neither as a VC nor US soldier even though "playable as gunner" is set in the editor.

The "normal" Dhsk Heavy machine gun can be mounted BTW.

Another little issue is that if you put a VC soldier into the watchtower, he doesnt fire at enemy soldiers. I think readjusting the geomoetry LOD might be able to fix that. I had the same problem with one of my early foxhole addons.
And being up there yourself as a player you can't see nothing, because the roof is too low to shoot while standing.

Good luck,
Charon

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-10-04 15:43:22

There are a missing objects (like helopad, trenches) in empty/vte objects . The are in config but not in the game
Trenches are not supposed to be in editor, thats what I understand. Helopad indeed is missing from editor, we'll look into it how to bring it back there.
It would be nice to be able to deletevehicle the NAM-soldiers by cleanup-scripts to reduce lag
Hmm are you saying you cannot deleteVehicle a dead VTE soldier, ie being dead like 120 seconds or so during mission or are you still talking about the INSTANT deletion at mission start?
1) Even though the gunner is dead, the machine gun is still considered a target by the AI and friendly soldiers are commanded to engage it by the group leader AI.
I belive this happens in BIS stuff too, any idea?
maybe it has an accidental 2 man crew
with one unit not visible (like a commander or driver)?
The Dshk's inherit the basic M2StaticMG, so no there should not be any hidden secondary crew members present.
The machine gun cant be "mounted" neither as a VC nor US soldier even though "playable as gunner" is set in the editor.
Okay can you provide little bit more information regarding this, since I cannot find anything wrong on the M2 AirCav, Army or USMC?
if you put a VC soldier into the watchtower, he doesnt fire at enemy soldiers. I think readjusting the geomoetry LOD might be able to fix that. I had the same problem with one of my early foxhole addons.
And being up there yourself as a player you can't see nothing, because the roof is too low to shoot while standing.
I'll pass this information forward, we'll see if we can tweak it a little bit. Thanks for letting us know.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-10-04 17:38:31

VTE open beta 09-13-05, Patch #1 has been released.

Changelog

Code: Select all

--- open beta 09-13-05, patch #1 fixes<br>- added ecp compatibility.<br>- vte rij center is off, fixed.<br>- added random asian faces to ARVN servicemen.<br>- A6 Intruder looks textureless from a far, fixed.<br>- added MK-82R retarded bomb into VTE_aw/ dir.<br>- added MK-77 Napalm (VTE_MK77, we still have CoC napalm too).<br>- Thunderchief small texture fix.<br>- Thunderchief script fixes (drawmissiles, firemissiles).<br>- added standard overview texts to all SP missions.<br>- nva ammo truck pallets shift on the back on steep hills, fixed.<br>- music track VTE_theend, squeeks at the beginning, fixed.<br>- added V150 Commando.<br>- added A-1J Skyraider wreck.<br>- moved ch53 superstallion to VTE_air/ dir.<br>- fixed ch53 textures and tweaked the LOD stuff.<br>- ch-47c sound was too loud, tweaked.<br>- all planes and helos, cockpit sounds insideSoundCoef=0.001 (simulate headsets).<br>- moved c130v2/ into VTE_air/ dir and removed unused crap files.<br>- C-130 running sound was wrong, fixed.<br>- changed "CH47C" name to "CH-47C Chinook" name.<br>- removed resistance bronco.<br>- changed Bell47 gun to VTE_m60d.<br>- VTE Ia Drang gives CTD on certain locations, fixed.<br>- There are two T-34/85s, removed unused one.<br>- added some NVA tank groups to editor.<br>- NVA truck had ammo tag on the side, fixed.<br>- added ZSU-57 model.<br>- added T54 model.<br>- added BTR-152.<br>- added bin/config.cpp, now loads VTE Intro island at OFP start.<br>- moved island cutscene menu backgrounds to dta/anims.pbo file.<br>- SOG MG 2 has no vte_sogdeg sound, fixed (vte_sof2weaponsRPG_Reload.ogg).<br>- On editor groups, the CIDG 1966 wont work, fixed.<br>- changed some RPG2 soldiers to really carry the RPG-2 launcher.<br>- moved NVA Repair Truck to VTE - Support.<br>- added PT76 model.<br>- Transferance mission in the 1969 campaign, mission wont end. (04 mission). fixed.<br>- changed maxim NVA crew to NVA soldier.<br>- moved dp27 weapon to VTE_weapons and tweaked config.<br>- moved ppd40 weapon to VTE_weapons and tweaked config.<br>- moved pps41 weapon to VTE_weapons, changed model and tweaked config.<br>- added mosin nagant to VTE_weapons, tweaked config.<br>- Maksim MG is spelled Maxim. fixed.<br>- VC Engineer 3 and Viet Minh Rifleman have Mp40s with wrong ammo, fixed.<br>- NVA Rifleman 6 gives a CTD, fixed.<br>- added overview image for PMC NAM SEAL campaign. edited name.<br>- ilo ilo, one texture missing, fixed.<br>- renamed revenge, behind enemy lines missions and fixed them.<br>- F4 bluscript error, fixed.<br>- F5 bluscript error, fixed.<br>- VTE_vilmat and some other object fixed.
The patch only includes the changed/edited files, patch size is 32.5mb.

Download here - 32mb, thanks to Raptor for the mirror. Also check Official VTE homepage for additional mirrors, its always updated. Send me info if you got a new mirror available.

I must admit that the first patch got out of hand a bit, heh I truly was hoping for few hundred kilobytes update, or maybe meg or two... but now its over thirty, sorry about that :)

Patch #1 covers the bulk of reported stuff in the forums, I'd like to thank anyone who posted feedback. More is needed so we can proceed with the development. Please do keep sending feedback, bugreports and comments, all is very much appreciated.

Brief instructions how to run this patch. Unrar the downloaded packet, check out the readme TXT file which says like this:

Code: Select all

VTE 09-13-05 Patch #1 <br>      ---------------------<br><br>October 4th, 2005.<br><br>This is "Vietnam: The Experience open beta 09-13-05" patch number one, released 10-04-05. The file you see inside this rar is .exe one, but wait dont panic! its not a gay exe installer, its just self extracting RAR archive (check it with right click, rar unpack).<br><br>This is how you install the patch, be patient and follow these instructions precisely, otherwise the patch will fail and you get corrupted VTE.<br><br>1) From x_vte_open_beta_09-13-05_patch-01.rar copy bin config.cpp into x_vte/bin/ directory (you need to create the x_vte/bin/ dir first, or just move the bin/ there).<br><br>2) copy dta/anims.pbo into x_vte/dta/ dir and delete the x_vte/addons/VTE_anims/ dir.<br><br>3) copy missions/overview.html into <ofpdir>/Missions/VTE/ directory (or what ever you use to store your VTE missions, if you dont have specific dir, then just ignore this part).<br><br>4) in <ofpdir>/missions/VTE/ rename two pbo files like this;<br>behind_enemy_lines.vte_phuoctuyprovince.pbo --> behind_enemy_lines.vte_australianao.pbo<br>revenge.vte_phuoctuyprovince.pbo --> revenge.vte_australianao.pbo<br><br>5) In the x_vte/addons/ directory delete the following files c130v2.pbo, lib_weap1.pbo, SPC_CH53.pbo and SPC_CH53J.pbo - if you fail to delete these, you might get errors.<br><br>6) Run the x_vte_open_beta_09-13-05_patch-01.exe patcher, follow the instructions and click each and all prompted pbo files. There are several, some take long time to patch, some are very quick so be patient and wait.<br><br>Done.<br><br>Sorry about this "messy" patch, but I dont think there is anyone who is willing to trade small 39mb download to full blown 330mb one :)<br><br>If anyone has any bugs to report, or other feedback, feel free to post in either the VTE official forum or BIS forum A&M Complete topic. VTE official web page at:<br><br>http://flashpoint.nekromantix.com/vte.php<br><br>October 4th, 2005.<br>VTE Founder and Leader<br>Snake Man, PMC.
One more time, thanks for everybody for the feedback.
Last edited by Snake_Man on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-10-04 22:31:08

Feel free to add mirrors and if you do, please let me know so I can add them to our page too.

Yeah I'll try to fix everything I can, as fast as I can. Just keep sending the feedback.

Polish_GI
2nd Lt

Post by Polish_GI » 2005-10-04 22:40:11

You can download Vietnam: The Experience Patch 1 [link=http://www.ofpnam.com/download.php?view.137]here[/link].

Polish_GI
2nd Lt

Post by Polish_GI » 2005-10-04 22:50:41

Unless you strongly object, I am putting the patch on ofpnam as we speak! Looking forward to checking it out! Glad you could incorporate everything to date, or just about...

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-10-05 03:51:38

The M551 Sheridan gives CTD, sorry about that. It will be fixed on Patch #2...

Polish_GI
2nd Lt

Post by Polish_GI » 2005-10-05 04:50:30

SEB Ia Drang VTE does not have the names txt file included. The only text on the map is the title of the island at the bottom. We are missing the SF Base, FB Falcon, the all important LZ X-Ray... Simple fix I am sure...

Cheers!

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2005-10-05 18:42:02

Good point, I'll add the names there.

Also I like to note that I updated the Official VTE homepage with some download mirrors for the first release and patch #1. Many thanks for the guys providing hosting.

I already fixed the M551 Sheridan CTD (no clue why such bug got through) and was thinking if I should put out "hotfix" or similar right now, or to wait for patch #2.

Polish_GI
2nd Lt

Post by Polish_GI » 2005-10-05 22:13:46

How easy would the fix be? under a mb? If so, possibly issue it now and continue pooling the others for a later release? just thinking outloud...

Ensign_Riles

Post by Ensign_Riles » 2005-10-05 23:18:53

When I try and install the mod from the .exe it can't find any of the files it is requesting...

Polish_GI
2nd Lt

Post by Polish_GI » 2005-10-05 23:26:31

You have to locate them within the OFP directory (e.g. missions, campaigns, and addons.) Drill down to those vte directories and you should locate them. I think missions come first, then campaigns, then it moves to addons.

Hope this helps!

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (OFP)”