Force Sliders

Campaign editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

toonces
Brig. General

Force Sliders

Post by toonces » 2009-04-07 00:38:51

Hi all.
I am working on a scenario for the Nevada theater, but this would be applicable to any theater.

My question, specifically, is what effect the force sliders have on the number of units within Batallions in Falcon.

The reason I ask this has to do with research I'm doing into NATO vs. Warsaw Pact OOB. Most of the information I have, and have been able to find, breaks down NATO units to the Batallion level. Warsaw Pact/Soviet units are broken down to the Regiment level.

I haven't been able to determine if this is doctrine (Soviet subordinate units were simply bigger than their NATO counterparts), or whether the information WRT Soviet OOBs below the Regiment/Brigade level just isn't available.

This is important for creating a Soviet OOB. If the smallest unit in Soviet OOBs is the Regiment (which appears to be about 3 times bigger than a NATO Batallion), then I can create the Soviet units as Falcon 4 "Batallions", however the number of tanks or BMPs or whatever won't be large enough.

This is where the sliders come in. From what I understand, moving the sliders to favor one side or the other increases/decreases the number of planes/vehicle at the Batallion level. But I have no idea how accurate this is, nor do I know how much each notch of slider impacts the numbers.

So, I am soliciting any information you have on this, with the idea that a campaign could be created from scratch that expects the player to alter the sliders appropriately when starting the campaign for play.

Thanks,
Toonces

ccc
Chief of Staff

Re: Force Sliders

Post by ccc » 2009-04-07 01:40:42

i think...err.. we've no such info so far.
bear with me, it means we need somebody to do a test and gather info for us.
say, put few "standard" air and ground units in a new campaign, adjust force slider and start game, check the change of vehicle or unit quanities..

molnibalage
Colonel
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Modeling

Post by molnibalage » 2009-04-07 07:48:24

This is where the sliders come in. From what I understand, moving the sliders to favor one side or the other increases/decreases the number of planes/vehicle at the Batallion level. But I have no idea how accurate this is, nor do I know how much each notch of slider impacts the numbers.
Check RP5 manual. It tells you how many slots are used on each difficulty level. We should try simulate the real structure of real armies. We can't do it. We should keep the ratio between two sides and in battalions. Other issue that have to be considered ratio between combat and air defense units in one battalion on each level form rookie to ace (it is impossible to make real campaign using olny 8 slots...) For ex. if red side use 8 or 12 slot an mechanized battalion should have following things.:

- 0.s.: 2 x BMP-X
- 1.s.: 2 x BMP-X
- 2.s.: 2 x T-XX
- 3.s.: 2 x M-XXXX
- 4.s.: 1 x Zsu-23-4
- 5.s.: 3 x Kraz
- 6.s.: 1 x SA-13
- 7.s.: 2 x BRDM
- 8.s.: 1 x BMP-CMD (this has MANPAD!)
- 9.s.: 3 x BMP-X
-10.s.: 2 x T-XX
-11.s.: 1 x SA-13

If you check the ratio if slots 0-7 are used and 0-11 slots are used you can see that is almost constant, will be olny a bit stronger the air defense.

Is it clear what I'm saying?

There is one more option. Blue side battalions size can be the same from rookie level to ace, only the red side force will be stronger if you set the difficulty to higher.
Core 2 Duo E7300, Gigabyte EP43, 4 GB RAM (1066MHz), Shappire Radeon HD4850 1GB

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2009-04-07 21:40:19

@ Molni- I think I understand what you're saying. Hmmm.
Well, I suppose like everything in Falcon, I'll just have to make the best with what is available.

FWIW, I went ahead and broke down the Soviet Regiments into Batallions in order to get enough tracked vehicles in the regiment. It's not a perfect solution, but it will have to suffice for now.

On topic, I'll experiment some with the force sliders once I get things set up, and I'll post the results here.