PMC Somalia WIP

PMC Somalia (ArmA 2) from ArmA, covering the Somalia crisis

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

banana
2nd Lt

PMC Somalia WIP

Post by banana » 2010-06-24 19:43:41

Yes guys its official. PMC somalia is coming along. Nicely. Very nicely.

The story is to capture warlord Aidid. Dead or alive. Nothing more, nothing less.

You'll accompany soldier David Johnson, on his preparations for his biggest journey. Operation Irene.

Blog Entry 1

http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=house6jon.png

The City
The city of Mogadishu is quite weird. Gang-Fighting everywhere, you just can't step outside without
being in fear of your life. Thats why I'll hang here in the base. Had time to watch at the houses.
Nothing special so far.

David Johnson

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Re: PMC Somalia WIP

Post by Snake Man » 2010-07-14 05:48:05

Yesterday I took the BIS ArmA sample models of spec ops and civilians and ported them into ArmA 2. The spec ops will be the Delta Force and civilians the african militia.

I was very thorough when porting them that ALL textures, ALL rvmats and ALL paths are changed properly, it was sort of amazing to see that right off the first test it worked OK in-game path wise :)

There is still some issue with soldier arms/hands being "jiggly" but I'm working on that, consulting Icewindo who did the Isla Duala africanos from the same models. He told me that he swapped the hands and head to ArmA 2 model and used ArmA 2 model.cfg file on them. I think I'll try the same model.cfg if that would fix the arms issue.

Today my agenda includes adding the Rangers and starting to work out how the helicopters get added. I believe Operation Arrowhead (OA) comes with black UH60 texture and the littlebird is again added, so we're good.

Oh yeah, PMC Somalia will require latest ArmA 2, which is v1.52.xxxxx OA. I'll try to make it work on stand alone OA so at least there is no dependency for the "chernarus stuff" anymore. At least right now the units I ported are fully stand alone, only thing they do is inherit from config.

On development wise, things start to look very good suddenly :)
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2010-07-14 16:19:04

Got the rangers in-game and everything polished config wise. There is only one militia guy configured now, but rest of them are coming bit later.

I put together first internal release of it and hopefully we can do some development sightseeing flights with banana on Blackhawk helicopter ;)

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2010-07-15 09:00:45

Today's update is another fast paced one. I've just completed adding the rest of the african somalia militia, ah1 cobra, blackhawk, littlebird, 160th soar pilot and also navy seal units.

As recap on our work;

- rangers, delta, seal and militia are ArmA models ported to ArmA 2. Mr fox123 is already in progress of retexturing them and they start to look good. Greetings goes to Icewindo for letting us use his ArmA civilian model ports.

- ah1 cobra, blackhawk, littlebird and soar pilot are ArmA 2/ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead (OA) models, so its just config addon at the moment.

I'm waiting additional building models to arrive from banana and evaluating the Linker_Split's (in)famous Black Hawk Down Mod source files to which we have full permissions, if there would be something we can use.

In last couple of days this mod has taken giant leaps forward. Now we are already passed the status where the mods earlier ArmA version was. I'm feeling very good with this right now, even though there is tons of more work to do.

I'm not thinking about the United Nations forces, Pakistanis and such, to which extend we need them and I think OA already has some blue helmets there, so we'll see.

To end this update, here is retexture work from fox123:

US Army Delta Force

PMC since 1984

banana
2nd Lt

Post by banana » 2010-07-15 12:41:34

Finished the last house of the package.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2010-07-20 04:07:59

Yesterday I added the AH6/MH6 littlebirds from ArmA, so there is no dependency on Operation Arrowhead anymore, blackhawk also changed to the green ArmA 2 placeholder for now. Next on my TODO list is to bring in the mentioned blackhawk so we can do the black 160th nightstalkers retexture for it.

Rangers and Delta Force guys have gotten nice textures by Fox. Hes been doing excellent work on them. We are also looking into modeling some gear for the units so we don't have to stick with the default BIS models.

Feedback from the discussion topic has been very promising (BIS and Armaholic forums), I hoped for feedback but I have to admit that I'm surprised that we got this much of it. Being the cynical son of a gun I have to say that this time its different because there is Banana and Fox helping me out, instead of me alone working on it alone, perhaps it creates some sort of "credibility" or "activity" in the eyes of the community. I have been doing this for YEARS now without feedback and the only difference right now is that I have two active guys next to me producing results and the feedback is totally different than in earlier.

Just an interesting observation...

We have also committed this mod into Six-Updater, it is in fact available there right now for anyone who has installed it. So far I haven't given any news announcements of that, considering the state of the mod. There is also Dev-Heaven project page with bug / issue tracker which we are going to use in the future for bug tracking.

PMC since 1984

banana
2nd Lt

Post by banana » 2010-07-25 14:42:14

Blog Entry 2

These houses are going to be in the city of Mogadishu. Quite nice, isn't it?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2010-08-02 22:19:44

Here is the first screenshots of the building placement when setup by hand. Well copy paste naturally, but no automated tool was used here. No decoration objects were used here like fences or vegetation.

In this design, building intensity, there is still problem with streets as they are just way too wide with too much open space. Between the building blocks you get that claustrophobic tight feeling.

There is approx 25,000 building blocks in this version.

In-game framerates are high, no problems.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2011-05-04 01:16:11

Almost forgot to post here that development continues again. Fox123 is working on the ranger vest and I've been tweaking all sorts of things, here is the current changelog:

Code: Select all

--- fixes v0.4.1
- portraits for militia and civilians missing, added.
- civilian woman added, 3 models.
- house block 01 model tweaks.
- house block 01 new texture.
- harbor hangar model tweaks.
- harbor hangar new texture.
- airport building model tweaks.
- airport building new texture.
- civilians added, 14 new units.
- pmc_delta_teamleader class brought back (no idea why it was removed).
- hmmwv series classnames were without pmc_ tag, fixed.
Trying to figure out some method how to tweak the terrain object placement, as seen on the changelog there is some work done to the building block textures, but it still is very far from good looking. We have been discussing about adding ArmA middle eastern building types there, as seen on PMC 51km Desert addon, fox123 would make white textures as in somali buildings and hopefully that would give the city a believable feel. Hopefully we can make something better for city look in the next release (beyond my small texture tweak).

Any help regarding anything would be much appreciated.

PMC since 1984

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2011-05-11 08:44:25

New v0.4.1 release is out now, I'm really not happy with the mogadishu as I was hoping to really give it a nice facelift, however lack of coding skills to make proper converter for my new idea for building placement, I was just getting frustrated with the daily editing so I decided to release it now.

Otherwise its nice release, soldier models are fixed now so no more "wiggly" hands, shadows are there but the lower resolution shadow still gives some "three poles" bug, no idea why it does that. Upgraded the building models a bit, they still look like crap as my texturing skills are what they are. Olympic hotel was half as small as its in real life, I have no clue how I messed that up so bad, now its fixed to real proportions, sorry about that.

Yep, that's about it. Please post some feedback as that really helps.

PMC since 1984

Return to “PMC Somalia (ArmA 2)”