Starlight, starbright. Let's end this discussion.

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for ArmA

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

The-Architect
1st Lt

Starlight, starbright. Let's end this discussion.

Post by The-Architect » 2008-05-27 00:31:20

Ok, people have been asking about night viewing aids in Vietnam and many of you feel like you can't cope playing ArmA without something to give you that edge in the dark.

Here's the info on Night Vision or NOD (Night Observation Device) in SEA.

By the mid-1960's, scientists and engineers at Night Vision fielded the first generation of passive night vision devices for U.S. troops, including a Small Starlight Scope that served as a rifle-mounted sight or as a handheld viewer. Realizing these systems were far from perfected, Night Vision research personnel came to refer to the development of this early equipment as the First Generation Image Intensifier Program. Scientists and engineers would go on to improve upon this technology to deliver a second and third generation of night vision equipment.

The first generation Small Starlight Scope was soon put to practical use in the field. With the United States' growing involvement in Vietnam, U.S. soldiers quickly recognized that they faced an enemy that relied on the cover of darkness to conduct its maneuvers and offensive operations. In 1964, the U.S. Army issued night vision equipment to the troops in Vietnam. The Vietnam War proved to be an important stage in the development of night vision systems.

There were no "goggles" like today and instead Gen I scopes were mounted on rifles as in the following images.

AN/PVS-2 Night Vision Sight “Starlight Scope” (1st Generation) used on M14 Rifle (circa 1967-75)
Type: Passive “starlight” scope intensifying ambient light
Weight: 6 pounds complete with battery
Effective range: same as with conventional sights

This is a bigger picture of a soldier in country showing the scale of a Gen I scope. The Gen I scopes were in wide usage by 1969.
http://bp1.blogger.com/_IQgkr1tu7Pk/R0i ... /130+j.jpg

In late 1969 the US started the Nighthawk project which utilised some estimated 14 the UH-1H huey force to conduct night missions armed with a Starlight scope, a large Xenon searchlight and a mounted minigun. Some models also had a mounted .50 poking out the door.
The empty slot for the NOD can be seen above the Xenon searchlight.

The NOD is clearly visible here. Note that the minigun is mounted away from the door gunner position.

A better picture of the whole Nighthawk system can be seen on this Firefly squardron bird.
http://www.vhpamuseum.org/aircraft/images/firefly.jpg

A better indidcation of the scale of the NOD. This one seems to be mounted on a watchtower.

The following are pictures of the large mounted NOD optics. Sorry but I couldn't find any of the rifle mounted optics.

If there's anything else you'd like me to find out just ask.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2008-05-27 06:34:11

Very good research, thanks.

To get this working ingame its bit tricky, NVGs in ArmA are just device next to your binoculars that you can use. Not sure how starlight scopes could be applied to VTE as it was said we cant use "goggles" as they were big and bulky devices. I mean if we model a M14 with huge starlight scope, how do we affiliate that with players ability to turn on NVGs, no idea.

All suggestions are welcome.

And as noted, VTE at the moment do NOT have NVGs for any units, I'm not sure if SEB NAM Pack 2 had them for some night officers, or was it just flares (would have to check).
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Novum
Recruit
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Missions

Post by Novum » 2008-05-27 19:06:05

Snake Man wrote:Very good research, thanks.

To get this working ingame its bit tricky, NVGs in ArmA are just device next to your binoculars that you can use. Not sure how starlight scopes could be applied to VTE as it was said we cant use "goggles" as they were big and bulky devices. I mean if we model a M14 with huge starlight scope, how do we affiliate that with players ability to turn on NVGs, no idea.

All suggestions are welcome.

And as noted, VTE at the moment do NOT have NVGs for any units, I'm not sure if SEB NAM Pack 2 had them for some night officers, or was it just flares (would have to check).
There are many different flares they used during the conflict..
As i understand only special men carried these NVG devices

As i "feel" i think more attention should be diverted to the flares to make them bigger/better

The-Architect
1st Lt

Post by The-Architect » 2008-05-27 21:51:00

We could add flare systems to exiting aircraft.

Small "normal" flares to birddogs and hueys and perhaps much biger flares to bigger aircraft.

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (ArmA)”