Which bugs kills the gameplay for you?

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for ArmA

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

granQ
2nd Lt

Which bugs kills the gameplay for you?

Post by granQ » 2008-04-28 19:55:09

granQ is back in the house..

now, instead of just fixing bugs my goal is to make a "dominiation" mission and play it until my eyes bleed and fix the bugs that kills the enjoyment.. so among the first things for me is not the soldier models or stuff but the huey proxy stuff and the opfor tanks because thats what I will "run into" most..

now tell me yours and help me make some wise bug fixing and not put my energy on something people don't care a shit about..

*Private change log with bugs I fixed with this*

PRC 25 Radio placement.
Custom faces on soldiers.
Last edited by granQ on 2008-04-29 19:53:56, edited 1 time in total.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2008-04-28 21:48:50

The ricepaddy "road" is somehow blocking the AI movement over it, also tanks bounce like rubber balls from it. I dont know what changed in ArmA engine to make it so but that is one nasty thing. For example if you place enemy group inside the Ilo ricepaddy field, they cant never leave there as they are incapable of walking over the paddy-wall object.

Floating 50m forest objects, but as far as I have been told even from BIS terrain developer himself, there is no fix for this issue. Only fix is to use individual trees and we all know how many of those have to be used to make thick jungle. So this issue is pending and mean time we just have to suffer few floating forest objects here and there.

Then of course all the individual units models that are missing, but I know from experience that making new unit avatars is difficult.

The latest non working tank/vehicle placeholders that got added arent working now at all.

No damage LOD/config in any of the vehicles, you cant even tell destroyed Huey from working one. (I'm learning now bit how to setup model and config with the damage feature).

I'd say, for me there is no one big thing that kills the atmosphere, there are several little ones.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2008-04-29 04:55:22

Hi GranQ,
Glad to see your back again.

My most hated bugs:-

#1 Floating objects.

#2 AI not engaging thu grass blocks.

#3 Big veiwdistance CTD.

#4 Only 1 texture\no satmap.

#5 Sounds.

#6 Refining of models.

I myself am going to try my luck again with WRPTOOL so this may fix number 1 and 2 bugs.
number 3 bug may be linked with number 4 bug.
number 5 bug i can fix myself.
number 6 i know nothing in regards to this aspect of modding.

Frantz
Recruit

Post by Frantz » 2008-04-29 09:08:45

Hello guys,

I don't know wether it has been fixed in the last release but I remember something which was frustrating to me was that M113 couldn't go through high grass, which made them unusable ingame.

NeF
Captain

Post by NeF » 2008-04-29 13:58:54

-Floating vegetation
-Chopper (problem happens often on slick) disappears when under fire in air, causing all crew to fall to the ground.
-We really need to re-make most of the weapons and sights
-Napalm should burn any unit that goes inside the fire and all unarmored units maybe 50 to 100 meters around the flames due to intense heat. The effects of it should continue after it explodes until it stops burning.
-The effects of air to ground weaponery is in most cases totally ineffective (tested in multiplayer) exept for rockets and mk82
-hard grass
-Machine guns deployed in prone position should not have so much recoil. (light dispertion yes but much less recoil)
-The vte vegetation is too ofp like, we need more plants to cover the ground with and big trees to hide the sky :)
-Recoil in semi-auto goes downwards
-Shooting in prone position should be more precise, barel is still moving too much when proning atm.
Last edited by NeF on 2008-05-29 18:12:07, edited 1 time in total.
They train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "Fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!

Frantz
Recruit

Post by Frantz » 2008-05-04 15:31:39

Hello I was playing the new release today : great stuff :)

Here are 2 things I found :

- motor sounds in the helos are a bit too low, to my opinion.
- pilot and gunner in AH-1G Cobra aren't able to eject, and the gunner can only get out when the pilot has got out first.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2008-05-04 15:48:50

Frantz wrote:- pilot and gunner in AH-1G Cobra aren't able to eject
That is a feature.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Frantz
Recruit

Post by Frantz » 2008-05-04 16:51:24

Ok my bad ;)

Dr_Eyeball
Gaming Interests: Armed Assault (ArmA)
Editing Interests: Missions

Post by Dr_Eyeball » 2008-05-05 00:03:37

1. Vehicle seating proxies (especially medic huey)

2. Floating vegetation (if it was fixable).
It's the number 1 complaint when we try to introduce new players to the mod.

3. The tall grass texture seems a little too high at about 2 metres.
It would be good if some of it was about shoulder height, since that would make viewing better but still allow you to hide by crouching or going prone. [image]
You often see it as waist or shoulder height in images. Not sure how that would affect AI being able to shoot.

4. The tall grass texture doesn't look that good - since it's used excessively, it's important to look great.
Wondering what the proper grass name is, so we can find pictures of it.

5. The invisible vegetation barriers sometimes overlap onto roads, which means tracked vehicles cannot get passed them.

There are other things but these are the issues you see all the time. Quite happy with most of the rest of it.

Edit: Just noticed the latest patch (2008-05-03) has introduced a non-transparent windshield bug with the Sikorsky's S-56 helicopter. (Favourite heli in my mission so far.)

HogRoot

Post by HogRoot » 2008-05-20 06:04:59

1. Fix the controls on some (if not all) of the helicopters. When using yaw (nose left/right) it actually rolls the helicopter instead of yawing. I have noticed this on the Slicks and the Gunships. It is tough to make precice landings and or target enemy when your helo rolls instad of yawing.

2. CH-47 Chinook: Please oh Please fix the chin bubbles. In any other chopper you get in if you look down you can see the ground below you thru the chin bubble...in the VTE 47 it is modeled so the cockpit floor covers up the view...however if you get out and look at the chin bubble from the outside you can see with no restricted view.

3. Include NVGs into the ammo crates. This is quoted from wikipedia: "Night vision devices were first used in World War II, and came into wide use during the Vietnam War." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_vision_goggles

4. Sounds....when flying over any type of water, insect and jungle noises immediately flood out any sound (including while flying a chopper/airplane).

5. Thompson Sub-machinegun : When pulling up the iron sights, it takes up the whole screen.

6. Would like to also see the claymore added, such as this one http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=2624

*On a positive note, this is one outstanding mod! It is such a blast playing in this time era and with the assortment of goodies this mod has to offer is what keeps our guys coming back for more. Keep up the great work guys you hard work is very much appreciated by our unit, The Sons of Liberty!
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

ACE Mod Beta Tester

The-Architect
1st Lt

Post by The-Architect » 2008-05-21 01:26:10

Let's not have NVGs unless you're going to model a starlight scope.

The NVGs in Vietnam were nothing like those in ArmA. They were big bulky bits of equipment. Certainly not small enough to fun around with on your bonce.

NeF
Captain

Post by NeF » 2008-05-21 09:53:05

rgr that archi
They train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "Fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!

granQ
2nd Lt

Post by granQ » 2008-05-23 12:45:22

The-Architect wrote:Let's not have NVGs unless you're going to model a starlight scope.

The NVGs in Vietnam were nothing like those in ArmA. They were big bulky bits of equipment. Certainly not small enough to fun around with on your bonce.
what about pilots? same there?

EDIT. I am drunk, thought I read that there was NVG present..

Now unto real bugs and see if i can read the posts correctly.

The-Architect
1st Lt

Post by The-Architect » 2008-06-22 21:25:29

I'm getting random crashes with any view distance over 3000m when using the command view. I say random, I have had it happen 10 out of 10 times in a 24hr period, yesterday and today.

Any idea what causes this and if it can be rectified?

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (ArmA)”