Using VTE Maps for Vanilla Arma Missions: How's it Done?

VTE - The most detailed and comprehensive Vietnam modification for ArmA

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

BigShot

Using VTE Maps for Vanilla Arma Missions: How's it Done?

Post by BigShot » 2008-01-03 16:21:28

i wanted to know how I can use 1 or 2 of the maps from VTE to make my own missions in vanilla arma (without having VTE to be installed to play the mission).

Can the maps (islands) be used in regular arma?...and that jungle sound?

I guess id like to be able to extract only the exact/necessary files for the maps I want to use and then pbo them into a separate addon file for my mission...

...should I assume this would be a major pain in the butt?, lol. All I want to use (for my own personal use and not to be redistributed of course) is a couple of maps and their associated objects as they appear in the mod. No weapons, no units, etc...maybe just the jungle noise for ambiance :-)

Anyone know how I can do this?...which files needed for each map?

Thanks!

anzacsas
Major

Post by anzacsas » 2008-01-05 07:09:49

Hi m8, :)

Re-VTE islands using ARMA Stuff-

The Vte Mod isn't setup to just add the included addons to another mod.

The VTE MOD is a Full MOD in the way of it "redoes" almost everything that BIS has done.Therefore making almost every part of VTE dependent on at least one other VTE addon.It also runs a cfg ile that brings all the seperate cfg's together.It's a thorough and complex setup so it prolly isnt worth the work.

But what you can do is-

"Merge" a mission template(ARMA Default)into a VTE island.It will take some work to get it all to fit in some VTE islands.Set up the units ,use a VTE unit if you have to and just manually edit the SQM file.Replacing the names of VTE units with the names of Default ARMA units.Load the mission ingame and they should be there.Use the "Replace all" fuction and the "find" function,it will save alot of time.

Hope this Helps,it is a little advanced but you'll get the hang of it. :)

BigShot

Post by BigShot » 2008-01-05 16:14:22

Thanks very much for the info, I had a feeling it wasnt going to be doable.

Too bad because I think the tropical rain forest scenery and swamps is something sorely needed for vanilla arma and the amount of terrain included with VTE is absolutely astounding.

I guess im not understanding something about your suggestion. If I merge a model mission into a VTE island wont the player still need to have the complete VTE installed? I mean that merged mission will still need the new vte island, and therefore the player (since i cant separate the island from the vte mod) will need to have vte installed in order to get the island, right? Correct me if im wrong.

I really wish the team would release the terrain as stand alone maps for vanilla arma, man oh man youd see hundreds more missions being made for those islands!

Thanks again.

kutya
Recruit

Post by kutya » 2008-01-06 20:29:22

AFAIK VTE is concentrating on making a mod that is like an expansion pack. No parts of it can be reused and it's like an extension to the original game.

And those islands are here from long time ago in OFP. They are "just" converted to ArmA.

Return to “Vietnam: The Experience (ArmA)”