durras dawn - strategy question

Campaign using BIS standard units

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Megs

durras dawn - strategy question

Post by Megs » 2005-01-01 17:24:31

hi all!
because i cannot go on with the campaign because of the bugs i re-played some missions again. especially the "dawn attack on durras" is quite a tough one.
so, i wondered how you dealt with the loads of russian gunners, infantry and tanks. what way did you approach the town? what weapon did you use? i know that the m21 is quite helpful here. but how did you come along with a regular grunt gun? looking forward to your replies. till later, megs. 8)

Elvisdog

Re: durras dawn - strategy question

Post by Elvisdog » 2005-01-01 21:32:21

Hi Megs: here's a copy of the text from the newly-written briefing for "Durras Dawn", which should make it into the next revision of Fury. There's some small discussion of tactics. Think your best shot is to swap your M21 for an HK at some point (switch with another soldier) and sneak in personally with satchels.

NOTES
Well, that was f***ing embarrassing. The Loot caught Annie and I making dum-dums for his wicked zebrawood M21. Got a lecture on the rules of war and the Geneva Convention. And crap, I know he's right, we shouldn't make dum-dums. The Reds soldiers are people doing a job, just like us.

In our defense, our squad has always been pretty clean in combat. We don't mess with our enemies once they're down.

Hearing that lecture was especially painful, coming from that dipstick Loot.

</h6>

TIMELINE, SECOND CUBAN MISSILE CRISIS

17JAN USSR invades Afghanistan.

22MAR SALT II talks break down.

5MAY Cuban troops attack Ethiopia.

25MAY Sat photos show new IRBMs in Cuba.

26MAY President Carter assassinated.

27MAY US troops seize Cristobel AFB.

28MAY Red subs attack US shipping.

28MAY British Navy lends aid to US.

29MAY US armor pushes out from Gitmo.

29MAY Reports are that Stalin is alive.

31MAY Heavy attacks on Meaux, US holds.

31MAY France declares neutrality.

1JUN Complete naval blockade in place.

3JUN Reds seize civilian cruise ships.

5JUN SOSUS line attacked and damaged.

7JUN US-UK undersea phone cables cut.

8JUN Red Northern fleet mobilizes.

9JUN Red Northern fleet sails.

10JUN US mines all major Red seaports.

11JUN Non-nuke ICBMs fired at Gitmo.

15JUN Red fleet sunk north of Iceland.

</p>

<Briefing>

<a name=\"plan\"></a>
Bloody massacre of unarmed POWs at Guantanamo.

See <a href=\"#MySection\">OPORD</a> for details.

With help from Bravo and Charlie squads, clear the town of <a href=\"marker:durras\">Durras</a>.

Be alert; there are enemy tanks in Durras.

</p>

<h2><a name=\"MySection\">Pork Chop Valley</a></h2>

1. WAR SITUATION:

An ugly incident happened at Guantanamo today. A bunch of incoming Cuban Army POWs were under guard at the base. Evidently, one of them hadn't been properly searched and had a grenade, which he chucked at US soldiers. The guards opened up with a couple of .50cal HMGs, and when the firing stopped, 60 unarmed prisoners had been killed.

Just so it's clear, we're issuing orders that outline our rules of engagement. Do not shoot anyone who is unarmed and not a threat. Do not shoot anyone who is incapacitated or unconscious. We realize that putting the brakes on killing in a war zone is like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500. However, no matter how angry you become, you are expected to behave in a manner befitting US soldiers.

Our forces push on towards the southern tip of this island. There's a lot of heat on the brass to wrap this up quick, so we can move on to the next island in the St Jean-de-Luz island chain.

2. YOUR MISSION:

Kick the Reds out of their fortified positions at <a href=\"marker:durras\">Durras</a>, which block the road towards Saint Pierre.

Your call sign is "Alpha." You start <a href=\"marker:alpha\">here</a>, in the valley north of Durras. <a href=\"marker:bravo\">Bravo</a> squad is directly east up on the hillside, and <a href=\"marker:charlie\">Charlie</a> is on the opposing hillside. Assault the city from three directions.

3. EXECUTION/INTEL:

We raided Durras once already, but the bad guys have moved back in. Intel reports two main battle tanks in Durras, along with some infantry. There are anti-armor teams operating in the area, and the place is infested with anti-tank mines.

4. SUPPORT & ORBAT:

Our tanks are tied up on other tasks and can't be risked for this operation anyhow, so you need to deal with the enemy armor with only infantry support (Bravo and Charlie).

5. SIGNALS & TACTICS:

Bring plenty of no-bullshit anti-tank gear, such as AT-4s and satchel charges.

<a href=\"#plan\">Back to plan</a>
</p>

<! --- ----------------------------->
<TEXT>

<THE>

<a name=\"OBJ_1\"></a>Assault Durras and destroy the tanks.
</p>

<a href=\"#plan\">Back to plan</a>
</p>

<TEXT>

<h2>

<a name=\"Debriefing:End1\">SUCCESS</a></p></h2>

Burnt weenie sandwich. Tasty.

Next up: an air-assault into a hot LZ. Prepare for battle.
Last edited by Elvisdog on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Megs

Post by Megs » 2005-01-24 13:36:02

Elvis,
cheers for your feedback!
I was wondering how many members of your Bravo and Charlie company survived. With the reds fortified positions, the snipers and the tanks, this town is really hard to crack. i mean, even i had to struggle... ;-) what way did you approach the town?

Elvisdog

Post by Elvisdog » 2005-01-25 20:45:34

Okay, Megs, you've got me, i don't think any of Bravo and Charlie survived.

Think it's pretty hard to keep them alive, agreed. B and C attack too soon for you to prepare the battlefield. Not so hard just to win it.

Equipment is important; i went back today to replay and equipped myself with M21 + satchels, and most of my guys with M21 + LAW (or HK).

Went up on the side of Hill 243 (it has a sheltered approach, and is about the right range for good sniping). Immediately found that the Reds thought it a good sniping perch as well; my boys alerted me of two Red snipers, and there was a short fracas with them. At this point, BMPs charged us, and were taken out by LAWs.

One T72 was taken out by B or C, leaving one. Crawled into town, blew it up, and saved. Good thing too, cause while searching the town for stragglers, a Speznatz got me.

B and C all KIA i think, but i lost only one squad guy.

Megs

Post by Megs » 2005-02-22 13:13:41

nice tip, elvis! 8)
i did it "your way". equipped all my team with m21's, m60's and laws.
it was tough going since you need to be rather quick, BUT:
all charlie members survived and 3 members of bravo were standing sound and grinning on the market place...
admittingly, working with m21's is not quite fair. however, he, who shoots first will live through the day. ain'nit?!
rock on!