Night watch

Campaign using BIS standard units

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

frink

Night watch

Post by frink » 2002-07-24 07:17:52

Hi there,

Just downloaded the Fury Campaign, and have only played the first couple of missions. BTW ... I just love the mission where you storm the russian airfield. Loads of infantry, loads of tanks and loads of helicopters and russian Su-25'ers getting blown up.

Anyway. On the night watch mission, after the sight seeing mission where all the friendly troops arrive to the newly captured airbase, I can't complete the mission. After the alarm has sounded, and everybody is running towards the southern part of the base, I'm directed out to the center of the airfield, but nothing happens after that. After a while one of the heli's lands and it's pilots are getting out and lay down on the ground like some enemy is nearby, but I can't seem to find any. And every time I move out to the middle of the airfield, I'm ordered 'back into formation' from the leader.

Why won't the mission end? Is it because there are still some russkies left on the map, but just hiding in the woods or somewhere else. I think the missions starts around midnight, but I've waited until 1am, and the alarm still sounds, but nothing else happens.

Except from this little flaw, I believe that the Fury campaign is the best free campaign released to OFP. So far I think the missions has at least been on the same level as the missions in the 1985 campaign. Keep up the good work.

Snake_Man

Re: Night watch

Post by Snake_Man » 2002-07-24 13:42:46

Hi there,

I'm directed out to the center of the airfield, but nothing happens after that. every time I move out to the middle of the airfield, I'm ordered 'back into formation' from the leader.
Try to follow the another soldier that you are hanging around in the camp fire a the start. Seems to me like you've run into literally middle of the runway so he orders you back to formation because he is in the airbase Gate actually.

So replay the mission and try to follow the "squad leader". If its too dark to see, you might alter monitor contrast, I actually don't remember whether that mission had night vision goggles or now :)

So replay - follow the leader - stay sharp!

frink

Post by frink » 2002-07-24 20:36:03

I followed my leader, but he runs south, and then back to somewhere between the south gate and the fire where you start. I guess I just have to try again ... was pretty tired when I played that mission last night ... maybe thats why ;D

I found some NV goggles, but you don't start with them.

Thanks for the quick response

BTW, The guy standing near the south gate shooting flares to light up the airfield ... nice touch. 2 phums up. ;)

ufo_hk

Post by ufo_hk » 2002-10-07 08:41:13

Hi,

Wow been trying to solve this mission for a week now nad what do I find when looking for the solution - some one with the same issue. So he's my 2 cents worth regarding this issue.

I've now played this mission several times from scratch and get a similar result - even after following snake-mans suggestions.
However what ever I do the game doesn't end. I even put it on fast forward 4X and left it for a couple of hours to advance the time to see what would happen - no game ending.

I have noticed a couple of things which might help ID the problem.
1/ After the attack by enemy forces. #1 says "#2 attack vehicle at XX,XX" - however if I go where vehicle is supposed to be there is no thing there and #1 usually says return to formation before I get there anyway.
2/ Once first attack is complete I go to the south of the field and find a dead few enemy soldiers and a bunch of freindly troops sitting around the end of the field doing nothing.
3/ Once attack is complete and a couple of chopper troops are killed you can pick up their NV goggles - not that they are needed.
4/ Also once attack is complete after a while #1 says "at ease" and puts rifle on his back. Then occasionally he says "attack man at xx,xx" when I go to position again no troops are around and the yellow target/Waypointt box that appears shows "none" ????
Usually when you get a certain distance from #1 he yells return to formation.

Would apprecaite finding out what is wrong so I can move to the next mission.

cheers
UFO_HK

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2002-10-07 09:54:46

I'll take a look at it. Indeed this campaign has some "tricky" issues with the triggers meaning if those objectives arent matched exactly, the mission won't end.

Will try to see if I get the same results with v1.75 and if so, I'll fix it to be more flexible with the ending result.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2002-10-07 22:20:58

http://www.pmctactical.org/ofp/nwatch.zip

Download that and unzip it to the PMC Fury Missions dir, it should overwrite the old mission.sqm file.

Let me know how it turns out.
Last edited by Snake_Man on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

ufo_hk

Post by ufo_hk » 2002-10-08 09:02:54

Now that you mention it, I should have also added the following info:

Using OFP resistance version 1.75
and no "unoffical" add ons.

I've downloaded the file and will try it out and get back to you - may be a day or two thou.

Cheers and thanks for the heaps of additional fun out of OFP.

;)

ufo_hk

Post by ufo_hk » 2002-10-08 09:29:04

:)
Good news - just played it again twice with new mission.sqm file.
First time I followed #1 closely and we got attacked but no chance to engage, after a while we got all "russkies dead" message and mission finished.

Second time I joined troops running south to engage and managed to engage and again after a while "russkies dead" message appeared and mission completed.

Looking good, what was changed seemed to do the trick.

No messages to engage "phantom" soldiers or vehicles noted.

Thanks for that will carry on with the rest of the campaign.

Cheers
UFO_HK
Last edited by ufo_hk on 1970-01-01 00:00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Snake_Man

Post by Snake_Man » 2002-10-08 12:03:03

:)
Looking good, what was changed seemed to do the trick.
There was sneaky trigger "bug" that if the attacking Spez Natz forces do not die, the mission will never end. Now there are two options for end:

1) you kill the spez natz team
2) spez natz team does the damage and escape

Good to hear you got past the problem. I hope you enjoy the rest of it and be sure to post here is you encounter any mission end obstacles.