Tracked vehicle modeling / texturing

ArmA editing, missions, modeling, textures, terrains

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2009-04-14 05:42:12

That's our topic. I want to learn how to handle myself with tracked (tanks, armored vehicles in general) vehicles as they are bit tricky. Please read the OFP side of tank modeling in PMC Editing Wiki: OFP modeling Vehicles Tank for reference.

Why they are tricky? Well they use different "User" values in O2. Also the texture merging is so far in my experience been difficult as tanks always have millions of textures in OFP model so making them all together considering the User value things is a task in itself.

The tracks for example have user values of left track User: 53 and right track User: 54. Each of these even with textured on same texture still counts to two sections as that's how O2 does them. So my initial dumb question would be that how low section count can you do on a tracked vehicle.

Also tanks are interesting as they have turrets, then those turrets have observer turret (machine gun for commander) and so on.

I'll keep updating this topic with ArmA tracked vehicle modeling / texturing information as I gather/learn it and eventually create specific ArmA page for the wiki about it.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."