Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

XenonSurf
Recruit
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Missions

Other cockpits with Allied Force (II)

Post by XenonSurf » 2012-10-24 22:54:14

Hi F4AF mates,

I've realized that replying to a 3+ years old post isn't such a good idea, but old or not, this doesn't harm the information, so I'm giving here a follow-up and an excerb of my last steps based on the post
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=21662
First my congrats to Sherlock and Pegasus; thanks "lightning" for your indepth advices. That's an amazing breakthrough, guys! Also it's clear that without Pegasus' converter I wouldn't go very far. Ganz toll , Pegasus, 1A-Sahne :D

Here's what I did after reading the posts:

- Tested the converter with an older F22A cockpit to see if I can input the cockpit's syntaxes without errors for bin conversion. Result: success after some correction. For the 1st pass I entered "unknowns" in numeric order of appearance without bothering about equivalence.

- I didn't use the Falcon.vcd route, but instead I've directly replaced the stock cockpit in the default directory (tricking AF by telling him the F22A cockpit is the F16-MLU cockpit in 1024 size by placing in the folder the F22 files and the successfully converted bcockpit dat; I didn't touch the other folders).

I know it wouldn't work, but just in case I started a TE with a F16-MLU with 1024x768 res >>>> CTD with meaningful buffer errors and not-loading textures; can be helpful.

ToDos:
- Figuring out the "unknowns" in the conversion results by reverting AF to version 1.01 (CD pre-patches) where bcockpit.dat comes in simple, uncrypted text format.

- Testing memory equivalences: it must be tested if the AF format must be entered 1:1, which means 1 code entry of cockpit x must be exactly replaced by 1 entry of the stock AF cockpit. I suspect this is NOT the case, else why Aeyes would have been able to build and sell a cockpit for AF. Well, for sure he didn't need the converter :mrgreen:

- Testing the degree of freedom in 2 different, unsimilar bcockpit.dat files in regard to entry length and entry order. This will be decisive for implementing new cockpits. The 1st pass failure proves that simple syntax equivalence in the bcockpit.dat is not enough, much unfortunately.

- If 2D pits aren't working, unclickable 3D ones will be much easier, but maybe I shouldn't eat 2 cakes at the same time.

- Just to drain it down the road too: if new cockpits can be made, then please WIDESCREEN ones :twisted:

Ok, that's it for now, if you have some ideas thanks to let me know.

XenonS

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Re: Other cockpits with Allied Force (II)

Post by Snake Man » 2012-10-25 02:50:33

Good post, keep it up :)
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Return to “Falcon 4 Cockpits”