Ocean tiles in ODS

Operation Desert Storm theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Polak
Captain

Ocean tiles in ODS

Post by Polak » 2008-12-17 02:30:16

Two issues here...
First I have this unresolved problem that the H tile does not want to display in correct colors. It looks to me that it has to do with the fact that ODS 2nd ocean tile LCOST00F has only 28 colors in the palette. I have substituted both of the tiles , but it seems that new palette of new tiles is being adjusted short.

Also , I have tested some sea substitution in Balkan terrain. There I found nearly 38 or so full sea tiles , but strangely all the same. One of them has been substituted and brought interesting effect. I do not want to attempt to change all of the other tiles , but 38 could bring a lots of variations. This, plus all shore tiles, which are sooo :roll: many.

In ODS, in addition to the color paltette problem at min ditance, the very same sea tile gets strange violet tint. I know that there is some kind of shader here working , which makes also desert and green mountains sometimes brownish. I would like to control that - which file makes those changes happen?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Re: Ocean tiles in ODS

Post by Snake Man » 2008-12-17 12:38:40

I think you should just test the H tiles quickly ingame to verify they work, then move on to a next tiles. When you have tons of tile-set's ready to go, then you ship them to me and I'll integrate them into the real ODS texture.zip with new fartile palette.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Polak
Captain

Post by Polak » 2008-12-17 13:50:29

I can send you any and all tiles I had made so far.

Meanwhile sorry, but I am unable to judge if the tile is good or bad without seeing them at all distances and varieties. Far Tiles including. Some tiles would look very well from the close distance but from far away they would betray their "squarry" pattern. In order to develop that properly I would like to have updated files of the terrain. But we can do that together by exchanging anything is being made. Furnish me with the address and I will start shipping what I consider already finished.

I hope that is agreeable, let me know.

H tile for the Ocean is not working, I really think this is because of that limited palette for that tile in original ODS set. I am stumbled here.

Polak
Captain

Post by Polak » 2008-12-17 14:35:21

Post removed
Last edited by Polak on 2008-12-17 18:40:50, edited 1 time in total.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-12-17 16:03:06

I am unable to judge if the tile is good or bad without seeing them at all distances and varieties. Far Tiles including.
Okay I understand.

For further texture tile editing discussions lets stick to a one dedicated topic. This topic is for ODS Ocean tiles.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Polak
Captain

Post by Polak » 2008-12-18 21:54:07

I am here on the end of my ropes.... I have tried everything (I guess?) I have double checked all and nothing seems to be wrong. Except for this:

Strange as it does this only with the largest H texture and only at the closest distance. All other textures M, L, T work fine.
At one point I've changed H to 256x256, but I got the same.

I would like to close the shore tiling and need to confirm that the sea is fine. Pls help.

Polak
Captain

Post by Polak » 2008-12-20 19:41:05

I will log here (and update) all correction steps I am making in order to correct display problem of the sea texture:

a. installed H,M,L,TCOST00F with the same palette as H,M,L,TCOAST60F - display was skewed
b. removed HCOST00F tile from the set - program run (?) but display as above
c. removed LCOST00F tile from the set - program crashed

No doubt that COST00F is being used to display ocean texture. However, It will run with or without HCOST00F which is being prevented from displaying by some glitch. M, L and T display without a problem.

d. last step planned: replace Htexture with 256x256, L will remain also 256x256

This gave no results and I have to conclude that there is something not right with the texture , afraid not from graphic end , but rather CATE configuration or even program itself.

Polak
Captain

Post by Polak » 2008-12-20 23:01:06

I just add that I have found some reference to similar problem with sea in the past posts. Was that resolved, anyone remembers?

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19045&hilit=sea+texture
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19543&hilit=sea+texture

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-12-21 10:44:33

Polak wrote:a. installed H,M,L,TCOST00F with the same palette as H,M,L,TCOAST60F - display was skewed
There is no HCOST60F in ODS texture.bin file? :?

PMC since 1984

Polak
Captain

Post by Polak » 2008-12-21 11:56:42

There is no HCOST60F in ODS texture.bin file? :?
No, there is. And it should be there right?

I can see clearly by marking the HCOST00F with pink mark that this tile is used for ocean and not HCOST60F. I do not know where HCOST60F is being used but at the moment only HCOST00F is my problem. One thing also ... how it is possible that I can remove HCOST00F from the bin and the program is still running (with the display problem all the same), but it is not crashing ?

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-12-21 12:28:33

Hmm ok my bad, there is. Dunno what texture.bin I was reading earlier, but now I double checked it and yes there is one. Sorry.

Anyways just use the HCOST00F for ocean, simple as that.

PMC since 1984

Polak
Captain

Post by Polak » 2008-12-22 17:22:17

The cause of the problem was quite trivial.
Apparently there ought to be no other pcx files in the same folder with texture.zip, because if they are, they are being read first before others contained in the big zip. Was not aware of that.
However, that makes me happy as no longer I need to place new tiles into zip for testing, what will save time.

Polak
Captain

Post by Polak » 2008-12-29 21:54:48

Using Photoshop I have developed small tool for shore tiles. It consist of 3 main layers :Tiles,Transitions and Labels. It is very easy now to unify and make seamless all sets of the shores. I am planing to use similarly configured tool for other natures of the terrain.

Additional advantage of this is that it is still possible and relatively easy to change here looks of ocean and desert (if wanted). From here one can see at one glance any potential problems and it is easy to slip under any new type of shore. Transition between the tiles are identical for each of the tile of the set and all sets.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2008-12-29 22:10:11

Please document thoroughly how to use the layers to create seamless tiles :)

PMC since 1984

Return to “Operation Desert Storm”