Vietnam Theater v1.0 has been released!

Vietnam theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Vietnam Theater v1.0 has been released!

Post by Snake Man » 2007-12-21 19:36:14

Vietnam Theater v1.0

larger image

please note that while this is called v1.0 it is NOT FINAL by any means, we just happen to use "vx.x" version numbering and 1.0 was used here, next one will be "v1.1". Lets be clear, this is not final release.

This is pretty decent version of PMC Vietnam Theater release for Falcon 4 Allied Force, RedViper and Open Falcon. This version comes with full exe installer which has been now fixed for AF only users too.

Changelog

Code: Select all

--- bugs
- fix parent id's for all objectives that done have them.
- ground unit movement is very weak.
- airbase "Bein Hoa" typo, The correct word is Bien Hoa.
- somewhere near bangkok region tiling error in coast/city.
- replace historical campaign with proper aircrafts (database).
- historical campaign, mig17/19 does not get tasked. (mission score edit)
- pak map screen sizes are wrong.
- bien hoa airbase not leveled.
- takhli airbase not leveled (perhaps many many more?).
- invulnerable mig17 bug. its [damage by XX weapon] values are all zero
- only mig-17's fly in the theater, not selectable?
- aim7E2 explosion type should be AIR, or no damage to mig21mf/pmf.
- terrain tiles need a upgrade
- no feature (road/river) data for hainan/china.

--- fixes v1.0
- OF news blip/camp squadron map images had palette transparency, fixed.
- RV news blip/camp squadron map images had palette transparency, fixed.
- installer fails on AF only systems, fixed.
- historical campaign, removed A6E's from Phu Cat airbase.
- historical campaign, added four squadronsof F-100D's to Phu Cat airbase.

Install

Delete any and all old Vietnam theater installs. Read the readme and manual in the release rar but remember that manual is quite outdated by now. Run the PMC_Vietnam_Theater_v1.0.exe file and choose either RV/OF or AF install depending on your Falcon version. Remember that the installation takes a long time to complete and is extremely heavy on the system, be prepared not to do anything on the background and to reboot your computer after the install is complete.

Done!

Feedback

We are looking for bug reports and feedback, if you are interested of helping to edit this theater, just let us know, we will welcome any and all help being it research, bug testing or actual editing. Report all bugs into the Vietnam v1.0 bug reports topic.

We will answer all your questions and then some. If you do not have account in PMC Tactical, you need to email me so I can create one for you (new user registrations disallowed because of too many spammers). Email me to pmc at pmctactical dot org address.

And finally the readme:

Code: Select all

Falcon 4 - PMC Vietnam Theater

v1.0 released December 22nd, 2007.

This release is called "v1.0" but IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH VERSION 1.0 FINAL! We just use version numbering of x.x in our releases, this time it happend to be "v1.0", next will be "v1.1" and so on. This is not a final version, lets all be clear on that.

This version has same 128 resolution terrain tiles as previous version, they arent looking good but will have to do for now (its impossible to find texture artists nowadays). The campaigns have been tweaked to work with present day F4 codes, two campaigns added for the fictional present day theater. Database for the historical theater have been edited for all F4 versions to remove the weapons not present in that era. User Interface has been made for all Falcon versions including instant action and campaign squadron selection maps, the PAK map screen is still missing proper sizes. Also tons of other small fixes and tweaks have been done since last release.

Please note that if you play the historical campaign in AF, then you only can choose one aircraft; AWACS, as AF by default does not support flying other aircrafts. You are on your own to try to fly the historical campaign, we suggest you fly the fictional one with F-16's.

There is the old v0.9 PDF manual included in the download package, its unchanged from the last release. If anyone want to contribute for the manual, I would be very happy. Let me know in the forum if you want to help document this theater.

Changelog

--- bugs
- fix parent id's for all objectives that done have them.
- ground unit movement is very weak.
- airbase "Bein Hoa" typo, The correct word is Bien Hoa.
- somewhere near bangkok region tiling error in coast/city.
- replace historical campaign with proper aircrafts (database).
- historical campaign, mig17/19 does not get tasked. (mission score edit)
- pak map screen sizes are wrong.
- bien hoa airbase not leveled.
- takhli airbase not leveled (perhaps many many more?).
- invulnerable mig17 bug. its [damage by XX weapon] values are all zero
- only mig-17's fly in the theater, not selectable?
- aim7E2 explosion type should be AIR, or no damage to mig21mf/pmf.
- terrain tiles need a upgrade
- no feature (road/river) data for hainan/china.

--- fixes v1.0
- OF news blip/camp squadron map images had palette transparency, fixed.
- RV news blip/camp squadron map images had palette transparency, fixed.
- installer fails on AF only systems, fixed.
- historical campaign, removed A6E's from Phu Cat airbase.
- historical campaign, added four squadronsof F-100D's to Phu Cat airbase.

Install

1) Delete any and all earlier Vietnam theater installs.
2) Run the PMC_Vietnam_Theater_v1.0.exe and choose RV/OF or AF.

Done!

Please take a notice that the LxNormalFix utility is very heavy on your computer, it will cause approx 780mb memory usage so if you're short on memory get prepared for very heavy swapping by win. Its most likely you cant do anything else while the installer run and then you have to reboot your computer. Also if you install to RV or OF there is additional SeasonSwitcher which takes long time to run also.

We are looking for bug reports and feedback. More details can be found at PMC Tactical forums, thank you.

We will answer all your questions and then some in the forum. If you do not have account in there, you need to email me so I can create one for you (new user registrations disallowed because of too many spammers). Email me to nospam address.

December 22nd, 2007.
http://www.pmctactical.org
PMC Tactical 
Snake Man, PMC.
Download PMC_Vietnam_Theater_v1.0.rar - 20.6mb
Mirror 1:
Mirror 2: twaelti 1
Mirror 3: twaelti 2
(Thanks to Couby, Twaelti and everyone for hosting)
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

trivella

Post by trivella » 2007-12-26 10:30:48

Hosted as Israeli and ODS asap on
www.vipersnest.it download section.
Thanks for the effort
Regards

Parislord
Recruit
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0

1.0 Impressions

Post by Parislord » 2008-01-01 03:23:38

After about a week of play:

THUNDER ROAD: ARMED RECEE OVER THE PAK
Flying the Thud out of Korat RTAFB

Welcome to Korat Royal Thai Air Force Base, courtesy of PMC’s v1.0 Southeast Asia theater for the various incarnations of Falcon 4.0. The following is based on a modified install over RV.

Getting to Korat is a piece of cake, just click on the icon, agree to the license terms and go grab a quick cup of Joe. The install is fairly quick and smooth. Theaters.lst updates automatically, and we are presented with two SEA campaigns: historic and current day. The one bummer here is that there are only scenarios for Save0. It would be way cool to get Save1 and 2 up so that more than one phase of the conflict could be modeled in terms of ac and technology available in theater. For example if modeling Rolling Thunder from early ‘65/’66, there should only be about 50 MiGs of pretty much just the Fresco-C variety (and many non-afterburning, at that) and 25 or so SA-2 sites (Col. J. Broughton: Thud Ridge, 1996). Shrike and Standard ARM should not be available until mid 1966 and early 1967, respectively. The SA-7 shoulder-launched SAM did not appear until after Tet…

One very nice feature is that the “Obj” folder remains isolated to this theater so that the ac may be modified w/ F4Browse to reflect appropriate ordnance, names and configurations. The F-111F, for example, may be renamed F-111A and remove the modern munitions from the hard-points. Kudos to PMC for keeping this highly important feature!

The theater is easily modified w/ TacEdit, and a few tweaks quickly allowed me to replicate the Thailand ac dispositions and sqdn. names as described by Ed Rasimus (“When Thunder Rolled”) in mid 1966.

So fire-up the sim, select a squadron (13th TFS, Korat), raise the priority in the Route Package Areas, and…

After an acceptable pause you will be presented with one, possibly two, missions on the Frag. This could stand a little improvement, but historically the Thuds flew two missions per day. One early morning, one early afternoon, and no night-fighting. S’okay, jump in one of the slots and head over to the arming area.

After a quick trip back to F4Browse to correct the config of the Thud (nothing to do with PMC, mind you), we’re back in the arming area to pick-up a more historically accurate load-out. As befits a new arrival to SEA, our first hop is a somewhat useless (dramatic emphasis, again NO criticism of PMC’s theater intended) attack on a bridge in the middle of (and aptly named) nowhere in RP1 guaranteed to provide little danger but a good opportunity to get some area familiarity. So, let’s see what’s on the ordy menu, this fine day. Recon photos show a fairly small bridge, one short span. M-118 3,000lb. bombs seem a tad overkill The boss chooses five 1,000lb. Mk-83’s on one centerline TER and both outboards. The target area is in Route Pack One, not Six (Hanoi), so the bomb-bay that would normally hold an AN/ALQ-101 jamming pod is configured with a 390lb. fuel tank instead. Combined with two 450lb. tanks on the inboards and we’ve got over 18,700lb.s of fuel. Definitely a pilot’s warm-and-fuzzy.

Back to the Ops shack, check the flight plan again. Reprogram steer-point two over my best guess for the NVN border, recheck the weather (it sucks—inclement) and head for the pit. Base looks great, startup takes the usual moments. About a third of the way down the tarmac is a hill that if you stoke the burner up front will launch you 10 feet into the air at about 100-110 knots (not good, in fact, very dangerous). Since the Thud always had a propensity for exploding on take-off, I’d leave it in, it’s a fun challenge. For the weenies, just roll-out on Mil until you’re over the hump, then go blower…

This is a short hop, the target’s only about two hundred miles away. In the sim that’s about twenty-minutes. As we blast our way up to altitude in a full-burner 35º climb, I find-out why all those books talk about four-hour missions. Our tanker’s over a hundred miles away in the opposite direction. Oy-vey! (Once again, no criticism for PMC, this is very much the way things seem to have gone, historically) Slog out to the tanker, twenty-minutes to get gassed (can’t seem to get the wingie to do it at all, must be one of those SAC retreads), slog out to steer-point 2.

Fence Check, the clag tops-out about 24.7K’, we descend to 20.3K’. In the weather, but we can sorta see the ground and anything coming toward us. Flying 300 feet above the cloud deck is a B-A-D idea! Switches all set to drop three off the TER, leaving two Mk-83’s for armed recee if we can shack the bridge on the first pass. Manual bomb sight, dial in 104 mils depression. 5’ spacing between the rocks for a 45 degree dive at 500 knots. I plan on a nose-low slice east off the target rather than the usual 5.5g pull-out, so I elect to keep my tanks.

The Thud flies very well with a full load at 25K, at 20 it’s like driving a Cadillac. Can’t figure-out why the Rhino is such a dog in this sim (yet again, no issue w/ PMC’s product, it’s a DB/FM thing to the best of my knowledge). Shortly we’re at the IP.

At the IP, we’ve got seven miles to go. I roll the beast onto its back and pull down into a 10-degree inverted dive from 400 knots. Using the mouse-look/zoom, I quickly locate the target and correct my heading, pulling down into a 45-degree dive. With the bombsight in the middle of the target, I roll back upright, still diving at 45-degrees. Just as the tach shows 499 knots, I pickle. As the last bomb drops away, the tach reads 501 knots.

Amazingly, it works! Only one bomb out of the three actually hit the target but all of them covered the bridge within their respective blast radii—splash on bridge.

I worked that out later, at the time I was more intent on the flak going-off all over the place. Crap, we had it all! The puffy kind, the tracer kind you name it. Thank God, there weren’t any SAM sites in range; my total concentration was on jinking enough to shake-off the ground gunners without drifting too far off the target. RV’s AAA model definitely works, here.

The turn off-target didn’t workout so great and I took an assfull of metal. Half the cockpit lights lit, half the instruments stopped. I dumped the externals, stoked the blower and ran like a trash-hauler. As far as I could tell, the jet wasn’t on fire so I nursed it back home only to blow-it trying to land on Korat’s oscillating runway.

Okay, so it needs a little polishing (karst—hint, hint…), some additional campaign support, and some of the units in RV need a little more work to really shine here. SEA v1.0 is an awesome work in progress.
Last edited by Parislord on 2008-01-04 02:55:26, edited 1 time in total.
"The terrain has a higher Pk than any missile you may currently be evading..."

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2008-01-01 03:45:30

wow nice report - i almost hold my breath for a while :D

my attention probably have been drawn to ground battle for long time.. almost forget the thrills of air operation!

can't resist - maybe a tweak on Tri file could make ground battle rolling? 8-)

Parislord
Recruit

Post by Parislord » 2008-01-01 15:35:48

I dunno, except for patroling and Tet, did any armies really get on the move? It's always seemed to me like a rehash of Flanders w/o the trenches...

What would really be cool would be to run a constant stream of trucks and troops (infantry units) running down the Ho Chi Minh Trail area for armed recee.

derStef
Banned user
Editing Interests: Terrains

Post by derStef » 2008-01-01 19:34:18

Parislord wrote:
What would really be cool would be to run a constant stream of trucks and troops (infantry units) running down the Ho Chi Minh Trail area for armed recee.

YES!

also a "jungle"

derStef
Banned user

Re: 1.0 Impressions

Post by derStef » 2008-01-02 14:06:53

Parislord wrote: based on a modified install over RV 1.0.0.? (I work w/ FF Beta, so I can’t tell you which RC, sorry).
Shouldn't we use all the same version (RV 1.0.0.4) to be sure to get no Beta spezific problems in theaters.? i had such problems (with FF Beta)
So thats my opinion!

very nice report! i felt like i was there!

:wink:

Parislord
Recruit

Post by Parislord » 2008-01-04 02:56:39

derstef wrote: Shouldn't we use all the same version (RV 1.0.0.4) to be sure to get no Beta spezific problems in theaters.? i had such problems (with FF Beta)
So thats my opinion!

very nice report! i felt like i was there!

Prob, but that's what's on my machine at the moment...

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2008-01-04 15:06:57

WHY F-4DSK and F-4ESK????
tiling problems around Airbases, mostly the AB tile is too dark.
also finetunig needed fro objects and tiles on castlines.

Parislord wrote: Prob, but that's what's on my machine at the moment...
why don't you do the registry trick like me?
i've installed RV1.0.0.4(for theaters and all the addons)
the "spooky" RV1.0.0.X (for you know)
OF4.5 & Dammed AF...
and everything works without probs?
so....... :?:
or do you have HD space problems? :lol:

cheers....

Parislord
Recruit

Post by Parislord » 2008-01-06 16:08:02

No, I just don't know how to do what you're talking about... :oops:

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2008-01-06 16:34:14

Parislord wrote:No, I just don't know how to do what you're talking about... :oops:

Parislord, check PM!

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Re: Vietnam Theater v1.0 has been released!

Post by Snake Man » 2010-08-01 02:51:50

PMC Vietnam Theater v1.0.1 has been released.

I could not get the historical campaign to run with ground units, strangely the present day campaign do run. This will be fixed when I figure out what is causing the CTDs.

Thanks goes to ccc for the nice theater selector logo, appreciated.

Changelog in the manual.

Download link from here.

Feedback welcome :)

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2010-08-01 06:09:43

Some B-52 bombing action in Vietnam

Awesome sight :shock:

PMC since 1984

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2010-08-13 13:57:57

http://www.multiupload.com/QB253ZS2XI

this rar is tweaked 2D map, adding coutry border. an old test file.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2010-08-13 16:09:29

I downloaded it and put into my TODO list. Should be included in the next release. Thanks!

PMC since 1984