For Aeyes...re: Phantom cockpit

Vietnam theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

WOLF-257
Recruit

For Aeyes...re: Phantom cockpit

Post by WOLF-257 » 2001-02-26 19:26:00

I hope you don't mind but I've sort of taken it on myself to do some views to go along with the Phantom cockpit you're working on now.I'm doing the totally useless 6 o'clock views,left,right,center and the up views.The reason I say useless is that there is a restored F4E at a military base nearby and I got to crawl all over the thing.The view from about 5 to 8 o'clock is almost completely blocked by the WSO's panel,the rear canopy reinforcements and canopy frame.But if your going to do it you might as well do it right.

I'm in the National Gaurd and I know the guy in charge of the display site,he told me that as long as I didn't try to take the plane home with me I could pretty much have free run of it.It's had the engines and Vulcan removed but the rest of the plane is intact,the aux. power system and hydraulics are still functional so the next time I get down there he said he'd open the canopies so I could get in the pits and take pictures.

I have a question about the original pictures you used to do the main panel view,is that shot from a Navy Phantom?The reason I ask is that I don't recall any of the Air Force F4's I've seen as having the off-white interior.All of them were drab colors,one of these had flown in VietNam and had not be repainted so it was still carring the original cockpit colors.

The reason I asked if it was ok with you is because,while I don't plan on releasing this I am using a lot of elements from your work and I do like to ask permission.

WOLF

Aeyes
Lt Colonel

Re: For Aeyes...re: Phantom cockpit

Post by Aeyes » 2001-02-26 21:36:00

Well, i am very much interested in those pics you are going to take, since those views backwards are what i need and especially those from the WSO's point of view.
If you can make it into the pit i would apreciate shots from it while looking back outside to get those views correct.
About the greyish look in the pit, that can still easily be changed, and i used it because of the few quality pics i have are from a F4E simulator wich stood at Seymour Johnson airbase.
When checking a whole bunch of pics of a lot of different F4 interiors they all turned up with the grey back so i decided to use that as color.

Regarding use of my stuff, that is kinda tricky in this sense: I don't have a problem with it at all, but the pit i am making is in development and not finished.
Because the beta Vietnam theater is released i kinda have it on a sidetrack with the theater but already available, while making changes all the time.
This means it is not at all ready and does not have my final aproval of quality.
So, i would like to put it this way, everything that is completely finished you can use no problem, but while it's being developed i would like to keep close contact to the stuff.

On the other hand i don't mind coworking with someone on one plane/pit, so why not show me some of the stuff you made sofar?

With a double pit (front and backoffice) it is a lot of work and i can use any help i can get.

Lemme know ok?

WOLF-257
Recruit

Post by WOLF-257 » 2001-02-27 05:51:00

I'll try to get down there earlier the next time so I can get those photos.It was about time for them to close so I wasn't able to take any pictures the last time.

I understand about keeping close tabs on what's being done with your work.I was planning on doing this for my own personal use,but I understand the amount of work that goes into this and I don't like to use or alter anybody elses stuff without an ok from them.

I'll give my email address here and you can drop me a mail and I'll send you what I've done so far.It's not much right now,just the 6 o'clock left and right view from the front pit with the canopy frame,the reinforcement bulkhead and the seat.I haven't got the back of the WSO's panel in it yet because I wasn't sure of the exact shape of it.

WOLF

jfarmer1@mindspring.com

Sorry,I forgot about the email link in the profile.I'll get those files sent to you as soon as I can.

[This message has been edited by WOLF-257 (edited February 27, 2001).]

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2001-02-27 10:07:00

Hi Wolf,
be sure to take hi-quality pics, and follow the instructions posted by Aeyes, so pit-makers could use them straight for pits.
be sure to include all views, and, see if you can take pit shots of other a/c we can use.

BTW, talking about the phantom pit, i found Aeye's nice pit causes some problem while doing AA/AG job. no offense, but the "10_12_c level view" leaves limited outside views. the 2D art itself is superb, so i'd like to adjust it for test.

Wolf, if you go sitting in that phantom pit, would you take an eye-level view of pit, so we can adjust 2d panel accordingly.