Theater and skins

Vietnam theater

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

ccc
Chief of Staff

Theater and skins

Post by ccc » 2001-02-06 05:01:00

well, after buidling some *.f4p files, I think we should put related skins in a theater-specific package, and better switch it together with theaters.

hmm..a subdir "SKIN" under theater dir?
or simply a "Theater skin" dir under "Skin"?

btw, Man there are some errors in your skin pack sample..better fix them before official beta4 release.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Re: Theater and skins

Post by Snake Man » 2001-02-06 05:47:00

quote:Originally posted by ccc:
well, after buidling some *.f4p files, I think we should put related skins in a theater-specific package, and better switch it together with theaters.
It would be good to have some sort of Theater "pre-set" of patches that would install when activating a theater. Like skins and possible 3d model/data modifications. I'm not sure if even Schumi has been discussing with Joel about something like that.
quote:btw, Man there are some errors in your skin pack sample..better fix them before official beta4 release.
Well I hope you can do it for me Image
Yes that Viet_Skins package I sent you was very very preliminary, I messed up the original skins (both new and originals are the same), the textfile descriptions are from Balkans and such. It was very bad indeed, needs a bit work.

PMC TFW
Snake Man
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2001-02-06 06:03:00

give me a list of skin you have.
it seems not so hard to creat f4p Image

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2001-02-06 12:21:00

Ok, sample on your way.

my 2c, better release skin pack with beta4. we've got some good skin.
mig19(as 17), mig19(if double skin allowed), mig21, f4(navy, want usaf?), F111, EA6B(as A6), Kc135, M48, T55. and what?

Btw, i forgot to add vnam b52 skin.
and, readme.txt wont show up in f4p.

correct me if error noted in that file.

JimG
Recruit

Post by JimG » 2001-02-06 21:32:00

Have any of you guys talked to Rhino/Paul/RPG about setting up a Nam weapons section in their RP5+? If they could make a MiG-17 for you, you could use one of the skins from the "dogfight" section so that you would have 2 different looking planes using the same 3D model (MiG-19). If they can do this, then they can also add some F-4s...at least make a Nam era F-4E that shoots only the old missiles. They could probably use the F-4G since it is no longer in service.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2001-02-07 00:56:00

quote:Originally posted by JimG:
Have any of you guys talked to Rhino/Paul/RPG about setting up a Nam weapons section in their RP5+?
I sent email to Rhino about just what you posted, dunno if it went to correct address but did not get any replies yet.

If anyone knows better way to contact the RPG people, please let me know.

PMC TFW
Snake Man
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2001-02-07 02:01:00

JimG is right.
I hope we could have several phantom/mig skins co-exist in the same theater.
if duplication of vehicle files with different skins or one vehicle sharing skins is doable.

Snake Man, maybe you can contact Manfred. we are not RPG insider too.

will check it later.

JimG
Recruit

Post by JimG » 2001-02-07 03:35:00

Try e-mailing Paul Stewart:
"Paul Stewart" <pstewart>
BTW, between Viper wear and Hornit, I have seen some excellent F-4, F-111 & B-52 skins/textures for the Nam era.

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2001-02-07 04:35:00

ya. Snake Man, i made mistakes in that f4p skin pack..I made a mistake in that f4p skin files. I think you can correct it:

1. rename all filenames in Vietnam\Vietnam\ folder, bmp-***.bmp to different names, say, Bmp-1115.bmp >> F4E USAF.bmp
2. change the filenames in Vietnam.f4p. you can open and edit it with Notepad. change those filenames of *.bmp in the end of each lines in the same way.

>> change the names of new skins, so it wont overwrite or be overwritten by other new skins. As those bmp filenames in Orig folder, leave them alone.

hehe, how's that dir system? you can switch Vnam skins 68-72, or earlier Image

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2001-02-07 05:45:00

after second thought, i modify skin pack f4p dir like this:
>skins-theater-Vietnam_68_72
>skins-theater-Vietnam_65_?

so reduce the dir layers and allow expansions. such design could reduce confusion too, and probably the simplest way to switching skins before being incorporated into theater-switching.

my ideal f4p dir like this:
>theater-Vietnam-era/season(tac files, terrain tiles, skins)

[This message has been edited by ccc (edited February 07, 2001).]

TheSilkMan
Recruit

Post by TheSilkMan » 2001-02-23 11:45:00

Guys, for skins I recommend you utilize Joels F4patch skinned current directory structure rather than create a new folder under theater directory. This will enable you to be compatible with future f4patch releases. If the skins are already included in f4patch, create an Vietnam skin filter to apply theater specific skins. This will ensure the greatest compatibility. If there are any new skins be sure to get them to Joel to add in his next F4patch skin download. In terms of RPG and data patches. I would hold off on requesting data changes until RP5 is out. At that time we can create a patch which will remove weapons that do not belong on the aircrafts. This will keep you compliant with RP5 and eliminate your patches on data from becomming obsolete(useable with 4.1 only) the moment RP5 is released. Not sure how much time Rhino and the group will have or the interest level in this theater but as you know, each weapon change requires supporting documentation that the aircraft carried it during the war and clearance from RPG loadmaster. As a word of caution, be careful with the web, a lot of the info is erroneous(sites like FAS are ok but have been known to contain errors). Janes defence group would have a lot of valuable data as well.

[This message has been edited by TheSilkMan (edited February 23, 2001).]

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2001-02-23 13:54:00

theater filter sounds a good idea.
but packing related skins together, and one-click to appy them works well too.

the best solution is packing theater-related skins with theaters.

will send you my vnam skin pack, comments welcomed.