list updated!

derStef
Banned user
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Terrains

Re: 2009 Theater development organized

Post by derStef » 2009-01-26 17:38:45

UPDATED:26.1.2009

Data/OOB Research: derStef, Molni, toonces?

3D stuff:
CCC? hopefully! trivella?

Database:
AF: Sherlock
FF: derStef, Molni
OF:

Skins:
OF:

Campaigns:
AF:
FF: derStef, SM?, Molni
OF:

Storyline: Toonces!, Sherlock

Terrain:
adding/replacing groundobjects: 87th_striker, Polak
Terrain Tiles: 87th_striker, Polak

User Interface:

Misc. stuff: 87th_striker
TACAN: RedDog
Soundfiles:
TacRef:
Kneemaps:Sherlock, Mapi?
Movies: Molni!
Theater.TGAs: Sherlock

compatibility for AF/FF/OF:
[/quote]

Sherlock
Lt. General
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Sherlock » 2009-01-26 20:36:28

derStef wrote:

Skins:
OF:

derStef,
you still have me doing skins and I didn't sign up for that (this is 2nd post about this).
Thanks! :mrgreen:
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2009-01-26 23:28:15

Sherlock wrote: derStef,
you still have me doing skins and I didn't sign up for that (this is 2nd post about this).
Thanks! :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: i want to force you to make the AF skins! :lol:

just kidding... i'll remove you.....NOW!

cheers
Stef

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2009-01-26 23:29:01

derStef wrote:

Data/OOB Research: derStef, Molni, toonces?

3D stuff:
CCC? hopefully! trivella?

Database:
OF:

Skins:
AF:
OF:

Campaigns:
AF: SM?
FF: derStef, SM?, Molni
OF:SM?

Storyline: Toonces!, Sherlock

Terrain:
adding/replacing groundobjects: 87th_striker, Polak
Terrain Tiles: 87th_striker, Polak

User Interface:

Misc. stuff: 87th_striker
TACAN: RedDog
Soundfiles:
TacRef:
Kneemaps:Sherlock, Mapi?
Movies: Molni!
Theater.TGAs: Sherlock

compatibility for AF/FF/OF:
[/quote]

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2009-02-14 00:41:45

Snake Man, please make this also a Sticky! thx!
and put the list above in first post please.

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2009-04-29 11:21:32

i still wish me a sticky :wink:

originally posted on the FF forums.
about the context of making fast fixes to get the PMC theaters for FF5..

no offence.

i just think enough ppl tried to scratch on the surface and too less ppl really tried to dev them further from the base on......
my friends,

Great that more and more ppl get interested into other theaters!

it is wonderful that there are tools and developers (PMC and others) who create all these wonderful beta Theaters! a thousand thanks again for them! i'm sure i would have canceled F4, if no one made the base for future dev theaters. Kudos to PMC team and all involved.!

but we/you have to understand that these are more or less just "playable" development installs. NOTHING is finished. many bugs, unusable campaigns, also the compabibility issues over the years now..
many ppl tried it out, but to less were serious enough to note/write down the found bugs or went out for real bug hunting...

IMHO you/we have to see them as a wonderful base for a nice theater. very interesting areas of the world are covered.
i see it like that: these theaters are the base for a further bigger developement. if I'm interested in one, i try to get it forward. you know I decided for Taiwan, because I wanted to try and learn in a "small" normal korea size theater. after some time i was so lucky to gathered wonderful ppl together and as you see we did not that bad job so far. lol
but as i said you/we have to gather ppl together and work it out from the base onwards. split the work, get the gurus of the specialized areas in for support/help.

i think only then all that Theaters stuff makes sense.

i have seen many tries of making the PMC theaters better, but sadly only ITO got into a stadium where i can say, OK, THIS is a "real new" and complete different theater.
the problem was that most ppl started somewhere in the middle to develop and not with the essential steps that could only done in the beginning.and then the most gave up and no one had a real profit of it.. useless.

my idea/meaning/understanding of developing one of the PMC Theaters further: these are the most important steps for me:

- gather informations about OOBs, main targets, ref photos (for skins and UI, loadouts,..)

- Make clear, who wants to do what.

- we have to check if all "important/remarkable" ground objects (Airbases, Cities, ports, strategic buildings,...) are in the map and right placed.
(overfly the most important areas to check if there are any object placement or tiles or elevation problems. or use recon. also check the areas in GE if there are important stuff missing as i mentioned.)

- then we have to add these objects. and also the terrain tiles issues should be fixed at that stage.

- check the "main" ground routes, where the major ground movement takes place (with a simple TE)

- fix the found road/links issues.

- create the campaigns. in combination with a "storyline"
- create the campaign trigger file. (events)
- create the new_te.tac file.

- edit/update the Data Base (loadouts/role scores/ add/remove 3D models)

- check the campaigns again.

- in the mean time it would be the best if some of the skinners and UI artists do their job, while the other guys are messing around with the Terrain, Campaigns and DB.

- and yessss, between every step: TESTING, TESTING, TESTING.

- uhhm about dedicated GE terrain tiles..... i also dream about such things.

this would not be a fast task of 3-4 weeks mates, I'm messing around with taiwan since 1,5 years now, but it was long time a one man show..

Hey, but these wonderful theater babies are all the work worth,
BUT if you do it, do it right and finish i the stuff up. IMHO every thing elese is wasting time.

i already tried to get some ppl who are interested to dev something furter, thogether, but first we should wait until some of the FF5 bugs are finished and the DB is "unlocked".

it would be wonderful if some of the real interested guys come over to PMC tac forums and discuss and dev some things together.

IMHO

IMHO

IMHO

no, I mean it serious..

i hope i have no one scared or think that i'm the bad ass here.. but it's not untrue what i'm saying.

So mates, who would be up to go with us through the hell and make the mentioned steps above to reach a real good/nice theater?
join in and let's do it.

btw I'm still looking for some ppl to help me in Taiwan!
everybody with some time is welcome. (would be wonderful if you have a mic, so we can communicate easier via TeamSpeak or so.)

thanks

Stef

Fafa
Captain

Post by Fafa » 2009-04-29 22:26:49

i still wish me a sticky :wink:
originally posted on the FF forums.
about the context of making fast fixes to get the PMC theaters for FF5..
no offence.i just think enough ppl tried to scratch on the surface and too less ppl really tried to dev them further from the base on......
Hi Stef ! :mrgreen:
LOL
you know what ? I agree with you :wink:
congrats for all the job already done on your theater and good luck for the next stage.
Unfortunatly I only have time to scratch on the surface due to private life, so, sorry not to help you more.
See you later m8 :D

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2009-05-04 11:51:58

Hello All.

I'm thinking about the idea to gather ppl, to fly around (or use Recon) to find the terrain and ground object (NOT units) issues and problems.

you know many are out there who want to see these wonderful theaters in a better shape, sure me too, but we have to find and sort out the existing problems in the existing theaters first. i think SnakeMan agrees on that point.
i just want to make sure that all anoying terrain bugs, floating or missing buildings are fixed, before we move forward.

so, making lists of the missing/wrong placed/problematic stuff and pass it into the specific bug report threats here on PMC. SnakeMan i hope you support the idea, please tell me if you want something different or done different.

so everybody who is interested, post here and tell in which Theater you would be up for help.

let's get together and let's do it.

i have also posted my "plan" on FF forums, please check too:
http://www.freefalcon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15428

Fafa wrote: Unfortunatly I only have time to scratch on the surface due to private life, so, sorry not to help you more.
NO that is not true, i just depends if you want or not, my friend. hey we need you here.

cheers

Stef

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2009-05-05 11:20:31

NO opinions?
:shock:

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.

Post by Snake Man » 2009-05-05 13:19:49

derStef wrote:I'm thinking about the idea to gather ppl, to fly around (or use Recon) to find the terrain and ground object (NOT units) issues and problems.
Basic use of theater, is always good idea if people do report feedback.
you know many are out there who want to see these wonderful theaters in a better shape
But not many, if any, are doing anything to achieve this...

Complaining and whining is easy, taking matter to your own hands and making them right is difficult.
floating or missing buildings are fixed
Floating buildings? I never heard of this bug (in non SRTM theaters which all PMC theaters are)...
so, making lists of the missing/wrong placed/problematic stuff and pass it into the specific bug report threats here on PMC.
Nothing new there, I have always used the forum and opened specific release version bug reporting topics (and closing obsolete old ones), however very little feedback has been posted (compared to the amount of bitching and whining about "BR0KEN THEATERZ!!1").
SnakeMan i hope you support the idea, please tell me if you want something different or done different.
Well there is nothing to support, I've done it like this well before you even surfaced in Falcon 4 scene :D

Anyways.

I think that we could of course try one final attempt and setup a well written post about how to help in theater bug reporting in practical terms, like how to capture a x,y position of where you are flying, how to submit this bug report, what are the known bugs at this time etc etc. Naturally the already existing method should be emphasized, each and every theater has their dedicated release version specific bugs topic where I update the first post about known and already fixed bugs.

I mean really, we don't need to reinvent the wheel or do some magic here, we already have all the tools in our disposal and actually working day by day... years already. We just need to slap people up to get off their asses and post feedback.
PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2009-05-06 06:56:14

Snake Man wrote: Floating buildings? I never heard of this bug (in non SRTM theaters which all PMC theaters are)...
I'm talking about the leveling problems (Runways or buildings floating in air or in ground). you sure heard about that. :)
Snake Man wrote:Nothing new there, I have always used the forum and opened specific release version bug reporting topics (and closing obsolete old ones), however very little feedback has been posted (compared to the amount of bitching and whining about "BR0KEN THEATERZ!!1").
I was just asking if it is good as i have written it or if you have additional advices.... i just want to hear if i understood the way correctly and you are good with it
. you do the edits, we'll try to make it as comfortable as possible for you, thats why i asked.
Snake Man wrote:Well there is nothing to support, I've done it like this well before you even surfaced in Falcon 4 scene :D
Dude you got me wrong. i know that you are the masterchief, i just wanted to be kind and ask you if there is something that we can do for you here to make it easier. anyways.
Snake Man wrote: I think that we could of course try one final attempt and setup a well written post about how to help in theater bug reporting in practical terms, like how to capture a x,y position of where you are flying, how to submit this bug report, what are the known bugs at this time etc etc. Naturally the already existing method should be emphasized, each and every theater has their dedicated release version specific bugs topic where I update the first post about known and already fixed bugs.
YES!!! please do that, and post it on every Falcon related forum!!! THAT is great!
the thing is that too less ppl are/were aware about that they can truly help, imo.
sure the guys should post then into the existing bug topics.

just tell the guys HOW YOU want to receive the infos, and what's the best for us/them to achieve that.

Snake Man wrote: I mean really, we don't need to reinvent the wheel or do some magic here, we already have all the tools in our disposal and actually working day by day... years already. We just need to slap people up to get off their asses and post feedback.
[/quote]

sure not, i just want to wake the guys up and get them in. what else? .....but a new wheel would be also funny. :wink:

best regards and CHEERS to all!

Stef

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-05-07 07:39:16

To really kick of the 2009 theater development, everyone should come to IRC for a live chat.

I'm in server irc.quakenet.org and in channel #WrpTool

If there is enough people joining, I might as well bring back the good old oldschool times and restore the "#falcon4theaters" channel, from which you can still see those legendary quotes in our Falcon 4 root page, man those were the times, ahh! :)

anyone having problems with IRC, should read IRC tutorial for starters.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2009-12-02 17:41:57

now 2009 is nearly over and we still have not found to each other... very sad...

but I'm still up for developing some of these theaters...

come on come on!!

regards

Stef

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-12-02 19:50:14

I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting from this topic, nothing much... but total lack of nothing wasn't expected either. Good example is the invite to join in the IRC... there has been nobody on the channel so far (of course not counting you derStef).

I don't know what to say/do really. Because of this topic, trying to get stuff going on and people motivated... I don't feel sad or happy, just neutral the usual cynical thing.

Maybe the approach needs to be more precise, like posting a step by step tutorial of how to do XYZ in theater development help arena and then see if anyone comes in to help.

All suggestions are welcome.

PMC since 1984

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2009-12-02 20:57:19

Hi friends.
From my point of view - I spend most of my free time modding Falcon last months.
But I am sorry, I can not do it by very "organized" way.

My work/job is about deathlines. I spend it mostly sitting with computer.
When I finish the job, I am starting another PC-hobby maratone. I do it, despite I think(also my familly heh) it is a little bit crazy (I like sport).
I do it, because I know, I don't have to do it. I can not guarantee anything. And I should to guarantee, if I join some team oficialy...

But to be more positive- I don't feel lonely and isolated here. I also want to share my work, when the time come.
Ok, perhaps I should introduce my task, but with my limited english abilities - I would rather handtile 2 segments, then drudge
some post for the comunity... :?

Anyway - Stef I am working on Eu theater. I work on terrain and *.cam file as well. It will be for F4AF. Terrain files should be usable for another versions of Falcon. I have also tested/upgraded it for better Hitiles compatibility last week.
We can export my objectives for your favourite Falcon version.
I work an small central Europe campaign, I will probably introduce soon (also some pictures).
I dont feel need to work on fullscale EU campaign.
Last time I plunge myself into the huge/megalomaniac project (animated movie) - I ended in antiatomic shelter(squot) 2 floors underground with
very, very strange inhabitants :mrgreen:
So I am really sorry, I like it the way I do it now...
regards
Luk

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2009-12-03 02:08:13

there won't be a truely organized dev army. face it.
The only chance is [somebody with passion] do the work all by himself, or collect every bit of useful goodies from individual contributors and intergrate them into the mod, thus pushing it forward.

carry on to 2010 :mrgreen:

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2009-12-03 02:26:07

Snake Man wrote:I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting from this topic, nothing much... but total lack of nothing wasn't expected either. Good example is the invite to join in the IRC... there has been nobody on the channel so far (of course not counting you derStef).

I don't know what to say/do really. Because of this topic, trying to get stuff going on and people motivated... I don't feel sad or happy, just neutral the usual cynical thing.

Maybe the approach needs to be more precise, like posting a step by step tutorial of how to do XYZ in theater development help arena and then see if anyone comes in to help.

All suggestions are welcome.
SM,
Just an observation here....

I don't use IRC. I don't know anyone (other than you, obviously) who does use IRC anymore. I use TeamSpeak if I want to talk to someone. Just my $0.02 (US). :)

And as far as theater interest, I'm interested in Iran and/or ODS. Real Life has dealt me some time consuming deals over the last 1-2 years so I haven't had the same amount of free time I once had. Also, work schedule has tempered my "creative energies" due to to fatigue (and maybe getting older?). Still would like to bring the Iran theater along though. It is still my "passion" to get it flyable and usable for campaign.
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2009-12-03 11:42:53

Sherlock wrote: SM,
Just an observation here....

I don't use IRC. I don't know anyone (other than you, obviously) who does use IRC anymore. I use TeamSpeak if I want to talk to someone. Just my $0.02 (US). :)
LMAO!!
THANK YOU Sherlock! :)
I think i told that SnakeMan hundreds of times... but he is a poor guy, he cant affort a mic. :lol: (HE told me)

why don't we meet us on this TS:
IP: 119.31.227.168:8116
Password: &buddyspike1

I'm hanging in there the most of the day... no worries we don't bite :)
Sherlock wrote: It is still my "passion" to get it flyable and usable for campaign.
Great, same here Sherlock. cheers

Luk
Brig. General

Post by Luk » 2009-12-03 13:29:04

You will BAN me, after hearing my CZenglish!
:mrgreen:
Luk

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2009-12-03 14:02:56

Luk wrote:
You will BAN me, after hearing my CZenglish!
:mrgreen:
Luk

lol no worries, trust me, me and Molni are even worser! :lol:

I 'm in there!!!!

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2009-12-04 01:13:39

Agree with ccc.

There are two big problems with organizing a "Theater Army" like this thread proposes.

First, bottom line and let's not BS ourselves here: this sim is OLD. That's it. Yes, it's great, but even the best sims have some sort of shelf life. It's still the best at what it does, but the pool of people who remain passionate to work on this continues to shrink. Falcon's heyday is over folks.

Second, even after 10 years of hacking, nobody really knows how to make a campaign that "works". Period. If it's out there, please tell me where so I can study it. I'd argue that Stefan and I, and perhaps Ranger, have more deving time on theaters/campaigns than any 2 or 3 people in existence in the last year. I still can't tell you every single thing you need to do to make a theater work from scratch. I have a lot of ideas, but once you put them all together, the campaign might or might not work. I spent nearly ALL of my gaming time in the last 9 months working on Falcon. The only thing I have to show for it is a Nevada mod that only works with an old version of the PMC Nevada terrain, a sort of working Vietnam campaign, a broken Panama theater, and that's it. Rarely have I invested so much of my (valuable) free time into something for so little reward personally. And I didn't want to do this casually- I invested a lot of time learning how to do things before I got to the last 9 months of deving. Unless you're really, really into hacking for hacking's sake, your interest is never going to be sustained enough to be a part of a "team".

If all that weren't enough, we have 3 major flavors of Falcon, none of which is really compatible with the other. So, in fact, you really need 3 teams working along parallel lines, but in each team's flavor of sim. And the only one of those 3 flavors that is consistently stable is AF.

Those are the major problems. I've alluded to others before. For example, we have all these terrains on PMC from which to choose. Yet, none of them were built with a proper focus. The idea should be to figure out what you want to model and build the terrain around it- not build the terrain and then figure out the campaign to model. Furthermore, none of the terrains work. Look at Europe (for example). Did you know the number of objectives and objects allowed in Falcon has a hardcoded limit? Europe, in its current state CAN'T work because it exceeds Falcon's limits (based on what I know). If we were serious about Europe, we'd pick a small, limited scenario, build a suitable (small) terrain focusing on a small part of the war, and then work from there.

In fact, if we were really serious about someday building a "working" campaign, we'd start small, prove the concept, and then go from there. You don't start with ODS or Iran. You start with something Panama sized, simple, build it, prove we can do it, figure out what works and doesn't, and then get bigger. I suggested an Ogaden War scenario. That is something that is usual, perfectly suited to Falcon, and small and tight enough to use to test things. Get a team to build something tiny, prove it can be done, then assemble your "Army" to work on something else.

This sim was never built to be hacked by folks like us. The tools we have weren't meant for the casual user and, in fact, sometimes what they do is not what you "think" they do. Also, sometimes a change in one parameter (say in Tacedit) needs to be changed in other parts of the database using a different tool. People think they can hack a hardpoint on a jet and that it has no other effects with no idea what else they have altered in the sim; or need to edit to make their hack work.

Frankly, I wonder if, by the time anyone ever figures out how to hack together a working campaign, if anyone will even CARE. I don't even know if I believe it is possible to create a working 3rd party theater anymore. Not with the resources and knowledge we have. My hope rests with ITO2. From what I've seen, that theater might actually be finished and work someday. Maybe. And only because Ranger's enthusiasm has not seemed to wane a bit since I first met him online a year ago. Someone with his knowledge and tenacity might be able to go the distance.

Well, I guess I'm done.

pipewrench
Recruit
Editing Interests: None of the above, I don't edit...

Post by pipewrench » 2009-12-04 02:57:32

I was afraid that was the case.

molnibalage
Colonel
Editing Interests: Modeling

Post by molnibalage » 2009-12-04 09:58:15

Did you know the number of objectives and objects allowed in Falcon has a hardcoded limit? Europe, in its current state CAN'T work because it exceeds Falcon's limits (based on what I know). If we were serious about Europe, we'd pick a small, limited scenario, build a suitable (small) terrain focusing on a small part of the war, and then work from there.
This is an interesting issues because in FF3 I could add new airbases with new squadrons and it worked. Something changed in Europe since FF3.
Core 2 Duo E7300, Gigabyte EP43, 4 GB RAM (1066MHz), Shappire Radeon HD4850 1GB

Ed_1
Recruit

Post by Ed_1 » 2009-12-04 20:10:01

molnibalage wrote:
Did you know the number of objectives and objects allowed in Falcon has a hardcoded limit? Europe, in its current state CAN'T work because it exceeds Falcon's limits (based on what I know). If we were serious about Europe, we'd pick a small, limited scenario, build a suitable (small) terrain focusing on a small part of the war, and then work from there.
This is an interesting issues because in FF3 I could add new airbases with new squadrons and it worked. Something changed in Europe since FF3.
What objective # limit are you guys referring too , we have added objectives without issues, there are limits to FED count per objective you can't go over.

I guess it be best to make your own DB for the theater you want (edit/alter the objectives there if there is a limit) .

demer928
Banned user

Post by demer928 » 2009-12-04 23:40:36

@ED_1,
Julian's TacEdit run's out (buffer overflow) at about 4900 static object's IIRCC. I do not think in the Orig. MP code there was a limit on Static's. You would know better than me. But, I do believe that in these bigger theater's we have a problem in campaign with the number of High Pri. Objective's.
The point is, the Number of Priority Objective's (Citie's and Town's) to the Code. That are over 80 :wink:
MeThink's it is 49............I Could be wrong Big Guy!!!!!!!!!!!
BTW.....Good to see you back?!?!?!

demer

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2009-12-04 23:41:48

Ed_1 wrote:
molnibalage wrote:
What objective # limit are you guys referring too , we have added objectives without issues, there are limits to FED count per objective you can't go over.

I guess it be best to make your own DB for the theater you want (edit/alter the objectives there if there is a limit) .

Hi Ed_1,

For those of us who work only with Allied Force, can we get a copy of the F4Browse and the TacEdit you guys used to put together the production version in 2005? It would sure be nice to have the proper tools available. Any other tools you can make available also would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2009-12-05 00:36:50

Guys lets keep this topic on discussion how to organize theater editing.

PMC since 1984

Ed_1
Recruit

Post by Ed_1 » 2009-12-05 00:42:45

demer928 wrote:@ED_1,
Julian's TacEdit run's out (buffer overflow) at about 4900 static object's IIRCC. I do not think in the Orig. MP code there was a limit on Static's. You would know better than me. But, I do believe that in these bigger theater's we have a problem in campaign with the number of High Pri. Objective's.
The point is, the Number of Priority Objective's (Citie's and Town's) to the Code. That are over 80 :wink:
MeThink's it is 49............I Could be wrong Big Guy!!!!!!!!!!!
BTW.....Good to see you back?!?!?!

demer
Oh, Sorry, i didn't read all the posts, just last few . Thought you were talking in F4browse objective data . I really don't know on Tacedit limits , I didn't do much work in that one , at least as far as adding new entries .

On the tools, you would have to ask the creator as there not mine to give out .

Ed

Sherlock
Lt. General

Post by Sherlock » 2009-12-05 02:01:04

Ed_1 wrote:On the tools, you would have to ask the creator as there not mine to give out .

Ed
Ed,
Can you PM me a good email address for Julian Onions (aka codec) please?
Sherlock
Victurous te Saluto

toonces
Brig. General

Post by toonces » 2009-12-05 17:23:24

If we're serious about developing new theaters/campaigns for Falcon, here is what I suggest- in the spirit of the thread.

First, Stef and I are (and have been for almost a year now) working hard on the FF5 dev side, creating and editing theaters. We have a fairly tight little group over there working like Santa's little elves behind closed doors. I think we can conceivably have two "working" theaters out the door "soon". I have/had Panama to a semi-working state and Stef has Taiwan to a semi-working state. We're currently held up by FF5's new DB which is sort of fundamental to a working theater/campaign. When the DB is finished, it shouldn't be too hard to get those two theaters out the door. My intent with Panama has never been to reinvent the wheel, but rather, take something that was already 90% done and just clean it up to FF5.x standards. From a PMC/Team aspect, I would love to get an AF and OF campaign developer on a "team" over here where I can share the OOB edits, OBJ edits, flag settings, etc to get the theater working with multiple Falcon flavors. I don't know what Stef is looking for with Taiwan.

Second, any further development beyond Panama and Taiwan should focus on something much smaller than the current crop of PMC Theaters. OR, it should focus on the "best" of the PMC bunch. Kuriles is a good candidate IMO. ccc's testing shows that the terrain is in pretty good shape and with the winter tiles it's quite an immersive theater. I've already constructed scenarios/OOBs for it that I've posted previously. Either way, there is just no point (IMO) of trying to get a team together to work on something like ODS or Europe right now. You're talking about a project that could take a year or more to complete. Better to pick something with a timeline of months rather than years to finish. You need one or two leaders, and then one or two people per "flavor" to make the same edits to their version. So, say Stef and Molni take the lead on a smaller Europe for FF5.x, then you'd need Sherlock to closely work on parallel dev for AF and someone to come out of the woodwork to do OF. But, IMO, the project must be SMALL.

Finally, anything we work on should capitalize on the content that is already out there, as ccc alluded to. DB edits are fun but guys, you cannot believe how badly you can pork up things by mucking around in the DB. We'd be way, way better off working with what we have and just accepting the inherent limitations.

I know that a 3rd party theater can be done. I did Nevada- it works, the units move, the ground war develops, the trigger ends the campaign. It ISN'T rocket science. But there's a lot of black magic taking place under the hood that I don't understand. Have you guys ever cracked open all those files in the Objects folder and actually LOOKED at them? All the stuff in there? Theater/campaign dev'ing isn't just putting together a terrain and scripting a .cam together. It is much deeper than that. The complexity (read: time) goes up exponentially with increasing size of the theater and complexity of the scenario. So, what we need to do is focus on something small. Form a small team with a limited scope project. Build it. Prove it can be done. Then you might actually attract a new group that is interested in truly working on something big.

And my last thought: we shouldn't assume that just because we CAN create something that the sim was ever designed to handle it. Anything we do shouldn't exceed the scope of Korea IMO. We KNOW that Falcon can handle something that size. Anything else is just speculation.

derStef
Banned user

Post by derStef » 2010-01-26 09:02:36

bumped.... now we have 2010.... :?

I keep continuing my work, everybody who's up to help, PLEASE let me know!

Theaters that i have planned to work out for FF: (in that order)

ITO2 (FF internal project)
Taiwan ("my" project)
Panama (Toonces' project)
Aegean
Balkans
Europe
Kuriles

atm we try to ger ITO2 out of the door, then Panama and Tawian. After we have that accomplished, i will swap over to Aegean and then the others in the list.
as i said every help is higly apprechiated!

regards

Stef

what is needed:

BUGHUNTERS:

who fly around and search and note terrain tile & object placement issues.

Terrain Fixers:
someone who can fix these tiling and leveling problems on the terrain.

CCC:
should FINALLY get some of his millions of models ready and done for integration!!!! PLEASE x10^27!!!!

Texture artists:
Skinmakers who make dedicated skins for the theaters.

UserInterface:
we need an UI guy too.

Campaign builders:
I will be up here.

DataBase:
Dangerous but i could give it a try with the support of other peeps like Ranger or BaldEagle.

join in and let's do it!!! FINALLY!

regards

Stef

Return to “Terrain / Theater”