Drainage .e00 d/l problem

Terrain / Theater editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Drainage .e00 d/l problem

Post by T_Rex » 2001-03-28 18:19:00

I'm having consistent trouble getting the DCW to download the drainage network files. I've tried everything. I've been able to get all (I think) the other files necessary, but not these.

1) Anyone else have this problem?
2) If I'm willing to hand-tile the rivers will not having the river.tdf cause any problems?

Thanks.

T Rex
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Re: Drainage .e00 d/l problem

Post by Snake Man » 2001-03-28 19:12:00

quote:Originally posted by T_Rex:
I'm having consistent trouble getting the DCW to download the drainage network files.
Is this russia or china? They have so huge road/river files that you need to download them seperately.
quote:2) If I'm willing to hand-tile the rivers will not having the river.tdf cause any problems?
No, but dont be crazy... its huge work to manually tile those rivers, forget it. You gotta get the river TDF files.

PMC TFW
Snake Man
Important PMC Tactical Web Hosting Update, PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2001-03-28 19:24:00

quote:Originally posted by Snake_Man:
Is this russia or china? They have so huge road/river files that you need to download them seperately.

Very eastern Russia. No China. I've been trying to download the .e00 with only the "Drainage(network)" box checked. No joy. Also tried Alaska with only that box checked and nothing. I've been able to get all the other files (and some I don't need) in about 4 different successful sessions (with about 20 other attempts). I'm only doing one at a time just so as not to overload anything. Any success stops when I try to do the rivers. Image

Oh - I also ran the .gif generating tool at DCW and there are a lot of rivers marked. Maybe I need to try to change the duration of explorer before it considers a webpage to have timed out?
No, but dont be crazy... its huge work to manually tile those rivers, forget it. You gotta get the river TDF files.
*giggle* I'm trying to stay sane, but I'll make no promises! Image The good news is that by having a theater that is partly in the arctic circle, I'm thinking that in winter most of the "rivers" will be frozen over; therefore, less tiling.

Believe me - that is an absolute worst case, last choice deal. But - I'm in no hurry.

Besides, I can't get any of the Russian stuff to translate into a .tdf anyway. I may end up having to hand-tile the Russian area anyway (*bummer*).

Thanks,
T Rex
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-03-29 09:54:00

Besides, I can't get any of the Russian stuff to translate into a .tdf anyway. I may end up having to hand-tile the Russian area anyway (*bummer*).
Negative. I think my features CD has the china and russian data, gotta cheeck (at least China is there becuase I did Vietnam theater from it).

I could send you the river e00 file for Russia then, if its found.

PMC TFW
Snake Man
Important PMC Tactical Web Hosting Update, PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-03-29 10:38:00

I have the russian dnnet.e00 files. There is two tar packets and both of them comes with identical sized dnnet.e00 file (36 something megs). They zip down to 16mb. I'm not actually sure if these are two identical files but in different packets (would be bitch do dl 16mb instead 8mb if this is the case).

Anyways, let me know we could always start by getting you the first dnnet.e00 file (8mb zipped).

Let me know how you want to play this.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2001-03-29 14:13:00

Let me know how you want to play this.
OUTSTANDING!!!

I'll email you with an address that will probably accept the 8mb.

THANKS!!!!

T
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-03-29 18:24:00

Yahoo Egroups is so gay

"Oops...
You may only upload files smaller than 5120K."

Well, I'll email you and we figure something out.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2001-03-29 20:45:00

Yahoo Egroups is so gay

"Oops...
You may only upload files smaller than 5120K."

Well, I'll email you and we figure something out.

PMC TFW
Snake Man
Grrrr. I thought it was a good idea. Oh well. Maybe it'll be useful down the road.

Dem2L is chewing on the file even as we (virtually) speak. May need to let it run overnight. I'll let you know.

Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2001-03-30 17:40:00

Zowie Snakeman!

Its been 24 hours and 10,300 points later its still chugging away. Any idea how much longer this might go on?

I'll let it go all weekend, if necessary. I just hope the "transform" then "save" functions don't take this long, too! Image

I'll keep you posted.
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-03-30 19:15:00

Its been 24 hours and 10,300 points later its still chugging away. Any idea how much longer this might go on?
Well I did Saudi Arabia Roads/Rivers overnight with my 450mhz/300+mb ram machine. Now if you have Russian data... thats like so much more, it could take few days Image

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

Widowmaker
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Terrains

Post by Widowmaker » 2001-03-30 19:26:00

just hope windows wont crash before completion...lol

widmak
Widmak

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2001-03-30 19:31:00

Roger that.

At least its running it at work. (Shhh-don't tell anyone.) I'll let it go over the weekend and hopefully there won't be any power outages!
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

87th_striker
Brig. General

Post by 87th_striker » 2001-03-31 11:19:00

Seems like those projections used in the .e00 files, causes problems for DEM2L. It's common to use Lambert projections for areas that stretch more east-west, than north south. So we need to convert those .e00 files. I'm cuurently looking into the matter, to solve the russia problems for F4Nordic. Have downloaded software from www.esri.com to see if it can help me. also found info on www.grida.no. Guess I'll be ending up with something in Matlab or Excel anyway. Maybe Miran has something for us too ?

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2001-04-01 03:34:00

I'm hoping that getting the info straight from the CD that DCW uses will get everything correct. My reading of the DCW FAQ leaves an idea that they messed with the reprojection just for the website. I'll let you know on Monday when I go back to work. Hopefully Dem2L will have finished chewing on the .e00 and I can generate a good .tdf.

Keep your fingers crossed.
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

87th_striker
Brig. General

Post by 87th_striker » 2001-04-01 08:03:00

Keep my toes crossed, too

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2001-04-02 13:53:00

Bad news. I got here this morning, turned on the monitor and saw....the password screen to logon. (BTW, my desktop was all messed up, too. Image )

Appears there was some kind of hard reboot over the weekend. Regardless how it happened, unless there's a temporary file that I can use to glean a .tdf it looks like I need to start over.

This raises a different idea, though. Since I know I want a relatively small chunk of Russian land area, is there any way to split the huge (36mb) dnnet file to smaller pieces?

I guess I'll start it again later today, unless someone has a better idea.
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-04-02 14:04:00

is there any way to split the huge (36mb) dnnet file to smaller pieces?
Not that I know.

You just have to leave it running, maybe you should ask from someone at the work if they cut power overnight etc.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2001-04-02 14:25:00

Coupla things:

1) Overnight during the week seem safer than over the weekend, so I think I'll start it up again today. Maybe have an answer by Wednesday.

2) I'd do it at home, but the map in Dem2L doesn't seem to work with the Voodoo card. I might play with this a bit and see if I can get it to work. My home machine is 2x as fast as at work and has 2x the ram.

3) Snakeman - from the DCW website: "Because Russia passes the 180° longitude line, the country contains adjacent points that run from -180° to +180°. On a flat plain, this means that these two parts of the country are spacially distinct. (On the original CDs, these parts of the country were on separate CDs.)" Any chance that the Russian portion from -180 to about -170 is separate on the CDs? That'd be alot smaller.

Thanks again, and hopefully the second time will be the charm!
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2001-04-04 15:10:00

For any of those still paying attention. I'm at point 23,312.
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Widowmaker
Lt. General

Post by Widowmaker » 2001-04-04 16:51:00

Glad I did Iceland Image
(even removed greenland from the map)

Good Luck

Widmak
Widmak

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2001-04-05 14:09:00

Well, I'm at T+72 hours and I'm at point 37,321. Image
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Widowmaker
Lt. General

Post by Widowmaker » 2001-04-05 16:42:00

Well it is still running... Image

keep us posted.. Image)

widmak
Widmak

87th_striker
Brig. General

Post by 87th_striker » 2001-04-06 10:43:00

It will run until finished, then when ouy load the tdf, it will give you a blue screen, I guess.

Hope it doesn't end up like that, though.

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2001-04-06 14:55:00

Hmmm. Closing day 4, begining day 5 and I'm at point 55,000. I'm concerned about leaving it on over the weekend, but I'm not sure what else to do! I need to get Dem2L working at home. I may try to switch back to my lame ATI Rage IIc instead of the Voodoo 3 and see if that works. My home computer is faster.

I'll post again at the end of the day.
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Widowmaker
Lt. General

Post by Widowmaker » 2001-04-06 15:11:00

Day five and the story continues..

lol

widmak
Widmak

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2001-04-06 16:17:00

quote:Originally posted by Widowmaker:
Day five and the story continues..
Actually, the story ends. Image

At 11:00 am (local time) almost exactly 96 hours after starting the process, my hard disk started spinning and it was done "pointing." I hit "transform" and waited another 5 minutes. Ta da! I hit "save" and watched as it counted down, then built the bitmap. It finished. I closed everything down and started terrainview. Loaded the map. Loaded the terrain feature. Nothing. Looked at the.tdf file. Zero bytes. Just like the other Russian stuff I got from DCW. Image

Looks like Miran the magician is the last best hope.

Thanks again, Snakeman. I do have one other favor to ask, though. The Alaska dnnet file seems to have the same problem at DCW that the Russian file had - it keeps timing out. Any chance of getting the Alaskan file from you?

I'm open to ideas, folks. Maybe some more 'net research and thinking outside the box. Image I'm also going to focus on tiling the parts I can. It wasn't going to happen overnight, anyway! Image

T Rex
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-04-06 17:41:00

Looked at the.tdf file. Zero bytes. Just like the other Russian stuff I got from DCW. Image
Tough luck Image
quote:The Alaska dnnet file seems to have the same problem at DCW that the Russian file had - it keeps timing out. Any chance of getting the Alaskan file from you?
Hehe my early days of F4 Theater building enthusiasm data leeches pays off now, yeah I have the alaskan datas too. Seems to be 9.2mb the original .tgz file. What do you need from there (dnnet.e00 only)?
quote:I'm open to ideas, folks.
Its no way solution, but have you tried the normal perl scripts or our tiny converters? Of course everyone should use spherical converter and I will not "support" perl made maps, but just for test... how does perl handle the terrain and features. At leat I remember that our little converter programs went crazy on alaskan terrain and the features. Just a thought.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2001-04-06 17:58:00

First - just the alaskan dnnet file, actually! Image I managed to successfully get and convert all the others (I think). Zip file would be bestest, but whatever you got. Also, any of the ways we tried for the Russian file will work. Just let me know.

Second - I only tried the perl scripts a couple times on the early files. It didn't like the -range parameter, so I'm not sure it'll work. Also, after I saw how much easier the Dem2L was, I deleted the WinPerl stuff. I could re-install it, but I think I'll wait a bit. Good idea, though.

Thanks again,
T
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-04-06 18:16:00

I only tried the perl scripts a couple times on the early files. It didn't like the -range parameter, so I'm not sure it'll work.

Ok was the alaska negative coordinates, like -170 etc? if so I dont think the our converter works. but you can try it, its stand alone windows program (exe), but uses excatly the same parameters like the perl (heh -range), you could try that out its small download.

The link for downloads is.. hmm hmm
http://www.pmctactical.org/f4/ubb/Forum ... 00078.html

Check it out, it probably wont work but ...

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

T_Rex
FreeFalcon

Post by T_Rex » 2001-04-06 18:40:00

Sorry. That didn't work, either. Image
Sic Semper tyrannosauro.

Widowmaker
Lt. General

Post by Widowmaker » 2001-04-06 19:36:00

Well I got Alaska data as well
for Iceland map..yet I threw whole Alaka out of the map... Image seems like a wise decision after all..
I looked at the download from DCW and thought...na too big...and do I really need it???

Well got no ideas for you now..sorry

Widmak
Widmak

Return to “Terrain / Theater”