For Snakeman

Terrain / Theater editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

T Bone
Major

For Snakeman

Post by T Bone » 2001-04-12 20:01:00

As I see the preliminary tiling in ODS is nearing completion; I still see some work to be done here. In terms of the terrain itself... the tilers will be given a set of new textures pretty soon that will outclass the old ones in terms of realism and quality. The main problem I wish to focus upon are these issues:
1.) There should be a process of quality assurance tiling done by a few expert tilers who have been around for a while. Though preliminary tiling is still going on, most of the desert is done. What we currently have though in terms of the desert is mostly sand with some semiorganized terrain. It is my wish to brush up upon the desert region by having a small group of dedicated and skilled tilers to fix up and decorate the terrain in the desert. I plan on wrtiting a small guide to decorating the desert with the certain terrain types as I see different people have interpreted different means of using each type of tile making for some uneven looking terrain. Since we already have the internal beta 1 released this would be an appropriate issue to address. I would like to volunteer for quality assurance tiling myself.
2.) Central Iraq in ODS and ME theaters should include more green terrain. I regret not writing a good guide to doing this but this should be one of our top priorities in quality assurance tiling.
3.) Here is a pic of what the actual theater should look like
Take a look... the real work is just beginning.

T-Bone
Exec. Producer- F4ME: Iran Theater
Q/A Tiler/ Artist- PMC: ODS Theater
Advisor- Flashpoint: Afghanistan

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Re: For Snakeman

Post by Snake Man » 2001-04-12 21:01:00

Thats good image, dont lose it.

To update things (for readers), Beta 1 of the ODS/ME large theater is NOT released yet. Private Beta 1 of ME (F4ME) is out but its already "old technology" and therefore meaningless.

Yeah we need the good tiling guide, simple is nice. We dont want to read Tom Clancy novel just to get to tiling Image

For the new tiles I sincerely hope you made them with my guidelines. If the palettes are fucked (I need to fix them) the quality suffers usually, if there are missing tiles (not full set is done) the tiles will get delayed from the complete package. etc.

Quick briefing for tilemaking:
- Max of 16 tiles on one set, all tiles NEED to be with same color palette.
- Fill the color palette completely, do NOT leave 4 last palette slots to FFFF white.
- Use korean textures as example, so not to miss any road/river/city tiles, any missing tiles will delay the texture.bin making for the whole set.
- Pre-rename sets like "grassroad*.pcx", "sandyroad*.pcx" etc, not just 100 "image*.pcx" files.

Thats about it. Need anymore details, let me know.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

[This message has been edited by Snake_Man (edited April 13, 2001).]
Important PMC Tactical Web Hosting Update, PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

T Bone
Major

Post by T Bone » 2001-04-13 14:01:00

Oks... I just need a copy of the new texture bin and texture pack. I am goin to graphically edit most of them.
Exec. Producer- F4ME: Iran Theater
Q/A Tiler/ Artist- PMC: ODS Theater
Advisor- Flashpoint: Afghanistan

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Post by Snake Man » 2001-04-13 14:58:00

Email me about the latest tile packet please.

PMC TFW
Snake Man
Important PMC Tactical Web Hosting Update, PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

Return to “Terrain / Theater”