my 2c : Tiling a new terrain??

Terrain / Theater editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

ccc
Chief of Staff

my 2c : Tiling a new terrain??

Post by ccc » 2001-10-04 12:06:00

Snake Man and all theater-makers:

we'll know tiling is an extremely time-consuming job, and its really hard to find active tilers.
I noted Tbone ask for tiling hands on F4C board yesterday, ya, ME still got a long way to go after 1+ year, so do other theater projects. Honestly, Balkan could be the only one with fully-hand-tiling and QC. I dont expect other terrain tiling can achieve such level of completeness in near future.

so, i try to figure it in another way: Leave the tiling job to who interested.

1. Theater producer uploads basic install package(like Afghan beta) to an open site for download. Fans can get these basic files freely, to preview, test, exeperience the terrain.
2. COMPLETE tile set and tiling tutorial availble on the same site. Fans can learn how to tile with ease.
3. Tiling OPEN to the public. Theater producer sets up an open forum, WHO want to tile WHAT segment can post there, and start tiling once no duplicaton is confirmed. A tiling assisgnement map could be posted on terrain homepage.
4. No time frame is imposed on volunteers. though producer can set up a very loose timeframe, like tiling must be done in one or three months, or even longer. If tilers want to drop their assignment, just post and inform producer.
5. Tilers submit their segment(s) to producer, and an updated L2 file will be ready for open download at certain interval.

In this case, tilers can pick their favorite segments(maybe where he/she lives), and terrain tiling could keep progressing. So fans can gauge how long to complete the tiling, and probably make them join to help.

Meanwhile, producers can work on obj-placement and other stuff.

Just my 2c.

Return to “Terrain / Theater”