Solomons Theatre

Terrain / Theater editing

Moderators: Lone Wolf, Snake Man

sparks1
Recruit

Solomons Theatre

Post by sparks1 » 2001-04-17 23:35:00

I have begun work on the Solomons theatre. I'm using the tiling and terrain guides provided in the tutorial section. I chose this area for several reasons. 1) Historical significance 2) relatively small land mass to work with 3) the possibility of a low-impact scenery area for low-end systems or for on-line air combat use 4) LEARNING TOOL!
I'm learning a lot about tiling and scenery placement, and look forward to a larger scenery area and theatre. I'm about 5 percent into tiling the area, and the more I do, the more the tutorials make sense.
However, the one part of the tutorial that doesn't seem to be really current is how to install new theatre's. I would really like to do this so I can fly the new area and see what the heck it looks like from the air.
Also, the tutorial for Terrain View is just a tad bewildering. It works perfectly if it's operator (me!) knows what to do. Sometimes I feel like I'm guessing what the next step should be.
So, within the next month, say...could you write a step-by-step tutorial for terrain installation? Nothing grand, just "DO this, then that, then those three things."
Could you also write a similar tutorial for Terrain View? "Open theatre, open L2, apply l1,l0, then apply l3,l4,l5. Load all terran features. Compute normals. tile theatre.Make theatre. install theatre. Files needed are x, y, xa, " Something specific, yet not so long winded you feel like you're Tom Clancy?
If you could do this, I'm sure it would benefit any one who's working ( or considering working) on a theatre. I know without a doubt it would help me! Thanks!

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief
Gaming Interests: ArmA, ArmA 2, Falcon 4.0 and OFP.
Editing Interests: All, I (try) to edit everything.

Re: Solomons Theatre

Post by Snake Man » 2001-04-18 01:16:00

quote:Originally posted by sparks1:
I have begun work on the Solomons theatre. I'm using the tiling and terrain guides provided in the tutorial section.
Uuh please dont Image use DEM_2_L2 Spherical Converter from Miran Klemenc to create the terrain file.

Yes I know the tutorial is very dated by now as it advertises old perl method. I have already updated the tutorial files for new Spherical work but they are bit incomplete at this time, we will be posting the new tutorial soon.

TerrainView tutorial is not too good, but it should point out for the obvious things. Actually I dont want to go as cheap as "open theater.L2 file in your C:\blabla\blabla\ directory, then press mouse button..." as if someone dont understand that much, maybe tiling/theater building is really not hes job to begin with.
quote:However, the one part of the tutorial that doesn't seem to be really current is how to install new theatre's. I would really like to do this so I can fly the new area and see what the heck it looks like from the air.
With F4Patch theater installation it is extremely hard to give tutorial, there is so much stuff to edit and configure it will take pages and pages worth of tutorial.

But maybe we can come up something with example F4Patch dir with <REPLACE_ME> strings for user to.. replace.

btw can you post a map screenshot of the area you are working on?

PMC TFW
Snake Man
Important PMC Tactical Web Hosting Update, PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

Editing knowledge, visit PMC Editing Wiki
The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage
View our videos in PMC Youtube channel

PMC Tactical forum Advanced Search is power.

"ALPHA BLACK TO PAPA BEAR. ALL RUSSIANS ARE TOAST. OVER."

87th_striker
Brig. General

Post by 87th_striker » 2001-04-18 08:32:00

Uuh please dont.

Use DEM_2_L2 Spherical Converter from Miran Klemenc to create the terrain file.

or

Uuh please dont use DEM_2_L2 Spherical Converter from Miran Klemenc to create the terrain file.

Guess you wanted the first one....

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-04-18 09:41:00

Yeah the smiley got it little weird.

DONT use PERL to make theater.L2 files.

USE Miran Klemenc's Spherical Converter (can be found on downloads).

PMC TFW
Snake Man
Important PMC Tactical Web Hosting Update, PMC Tactical Forum New User Registration please read new info here.

PMC since 1984

The leading, most detailed and comprehensive modification made for the Vietnam War - Vietnam: The Experience homepage

sparks1
Recruit

Post by sparks1 » 2001-04-18 22:24:00

Snakeman, I have used Dem2l2 to make the L2.
So, what I have done is run Dem2L2, Loaded features, transformed, then Save Lx. I started with L5, went downward to L0 (skipping l2), then went back and generated my last map (and .TDF files) by doing L2. I used V1.23, build 2. It worked fine.
Then, I opened TV, loaded Solomon.l2, had it compute normals. Then I loaded all features, applied L1/L0 maps, then applied L3/4/5 maps. Then I started tiling. I think I'm doing okay so far.
When I asked for an improved tutorial in my post, I was just curious if I'm doing it in the correct order. Sorry if I irritated you with a silly question, I DO tend to be nitpicky about details at times. From now on, I'll post specific questions, and I appreciate your patience with me. I'll also wait for the improved tutorials you mentioned.
I'll be happy to send you a screenshot of the area. Don't know how to post it, so if you can tell me how, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!!

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-04-19 03:08:00

Snakeman, I have used Dem2l2 to make the L2.
Great to hear, thats the way to do terrain thesedays.
quote:So, what I have done is run Dem2L2, Loaded features, transformed, then Save Lx. I started with L5, went downward to L0 (skipping l2),
Then, I opened TV, loaded Solomon.l2, had it compute normals. Then I loaded all features, applied L1/L0 maps, then applied L3/4/5 maps.
You dont need to bother with the L0, L1 and L3 thru L5 levels. ntF4PTinstall.exe creates those for you automatically. Just use L2 file.
quote:I'll be happy to send you a screenshot of the area. Don't know how to post it,
Ok if you still have the .TGA file that DEM_2_L2 created for you, resize that to some 800x600 for example and then post it here. Posting works like this, just replace () with [] characters:
(IMG)http://your.image.link.here(/IMG)

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

sparks1
Recruit

Post by sparks1 » 2001-04-19 22:38:00

Here is the Solomons image.
[img]http://D:ground/SOLOMON.TGA[/img]

sparks1
Recruit

Post by sparks1 » 2001-04-19 22:41:00

Okay, so where's the image? I don't have a server, the original image is on my hard-drive. Would it be easier to e-mail it to you as an attachment? (Solomon.tga is 3073 kb.) I'm more a hardware guy...I can build the darn thing, buy some of this coding stuff I haven't learned yet! Thanks!

Widowmaker
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Terrains

Post by Widowmaker » 2001-04-19 23:53:00

Hey sparkey1

you cannot show them this way Image

made a directory at my egroup
for you to upload any pics
be free to use it till you got your webspace sorted out Image
it should be quite self-explanatory

become a member here to be able to upload
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/F4Iceland/files/
copy the shortcut of your upload and post it the same way as you did previously..

here your folder:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/F4Iceland ... 20theater/

Widowmaker
Widmak

Widowmaker
Lt. General
Gaming Interests: Falcon 4.0
Editing Interests: Terrains

Post by Widowmaker » 2001-04-19 23:55:00

sorry .. Image it is late..

[This message has been edited by Widowmaker (edited April 20, 2001).]
Widmak

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-04-20 00:06:00

Would it be easier to e-mail it to you as an attachment? (Solomon.tga is 3073 kb.)
Please convert it to jpg so its smaller and I dont even know if this forum handles other images than jpg/gif. Dunno.

Just use the Widowmakers web space for the image.

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

ccc
Chief of Staff

Post by ccc » 2001-04-20 02:26:00

ya, better convert it to jpg/gif, or reduce its size.
It took me a while to check Krfrge's 4mb Turkey theater.

btw, any military facilities on this isles? seems another naval operation theater..plus amphibious landing?

sparks1
Recruit

Post by sparks1 » 2001-04-21 16:42:00

quote:Originally posted by ccc:
ya, better convert it to jpg/gif, or reduce its size.
It took me a while to check Krfrge's 4mb Turkey theater.
Okay, I'll do that!
btw, any military facilities on this isles? seems another naval operation theater..plus amphibious landing?
None yet. In fact, the whole area only has 2 airfields!!! My intention was for a minimal-impact scenery area for low-end systems, or perhaps for an on-line area for low-impact scenery. And, I wanted to LEARN how to do this, so I could help with ME, Nevada, whoever needed help. Naval ops, amphibs....way beyond my current skill level, but once tiled, the option is there..just need a guy/guys who can do that kind of work!!

sparks1
Recruit

Post by sparks1 » 2001-04-21 18:19:00

Widowmaker, Thank You ! The solomon.jpg is now uploaded, and I'm about to try to post it here. Wish me Luck!

Now, lets see if that works....

[This message has been edited by Snake_Man (edited April 21, 2001).]

sparks1
Recruit

Post by sparks1 » 2001-04-21 18:23:00

Well........snit. I did something wrong. Until I figure it out, anyone interested can follow the Solomons link above provided courtesy of WidowMaker. As you'll see, there's not much land mass.

Snake Man
Commander-In-Chief

Post by Snake Man » 2001-04-21 18:33:00

Made a small edit, sorry about that Image

PMC TFW
Snake Man

PMC since 1984

sparks1
Recruit

Post by sparks1 » 2001-04-21 18:58:00

Snake-Man, Thank you! Can you tell me what I did wrong?

Return to “Terrain / Theater”